Easily Create Personalized Teacher Gifts with Your Cricut Machine
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Ever wonder how easy it is to personalize gifts using vinyl?
It’s actually a pretty simple process to cut lettering with your Cricut Machine out of adhesive vinyl and apply it to hard surfaces using transfer tape. The possibilities are endless with all the DIY personalized gifts, crafts & home décor projects you can accomplish!
I recently embellished these cute items I scored a few months ago on clearance at Target’s One Spot for just $1 each. This week, I added names to give as part of my Teacher Appreciation gifts.
How to Cut & Apply Vinyl
- Cricut Vinyl in desired color
- Cricut Transfer Tape
- Cricut Explore Air – don’t miss this hot bundle offer!
- Cricut Standard Grip Cutting Mat
- Cricut Weeding Tool
- Cricut Scraping Tool
Cutting Vinyl with a Cricut Machine
- Place vinyl (liner side down) onto Cricut cutting mat.
- Select text and desired size in Cricut Design Space.
- Turn Dial to the Vinyl Setting on machine.
- Follow prompts to LOAD mat & CUT image.
Using Cricut Transfer Tape
- Remove the portion of vinyl you don’t want on your project, known as the negative pieces, by using the “weeding” tool to pull the pieces off.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape the same size as your vinyl lettering and remove the transfer tape liner.
- Gently place the transfer tape (adhesive side down) over the top of lettering. To prevent bubbles, start in the center and move out toward the edges. Use a Cricut Scraper tool or craft stick to smooth out.
- Peel away the vinyl liner at a 45-degree angle. If the vinyl does not separate from the liner, simply burnish the transfer tape onto the vinyl and peel away again.
- Make sure your project surface is clean and dry. Carefully place the transfer tape with vinyl lettering onto your project how you would like them to appear.
- Press transfer tape onto the surface, starting in the center and moving out toward the edges. Use a craft stick or Cricut Scraper tool to smooth out lettering.
- Peel the transfer tape away from the vinyl at a 45-degree angle. If the vinyl sticks to the transfer tape, simply press the vinyl onto the surface again with scraper tool. Then continue to peel the transfer tape away from the vinyl.
These small projects turned out so cute and I can’t wait to give them away! Vinyl is such a great way to personalize ordinary items!