We Ordered Whole Foods Groceries with 2-Hour Prime Delivery and Here’s What Happened…
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
I’m in ❤ with Prime Now!
Ever had one of those weekends where you’re home sick and just physically can’t make it to the grocery store to stock up on essentials? 🙋🏼♀️ Or you just don’t have the energy to bring your grumpy crew out in the rain during nap time to do some much needed grocery shopping?
If you’re raising your hand right now, I totally get it. Sometimes life…just…happens.
Which brings me to this point → sometimes paying a little extra to have someone shop for and deliver fresh groceries (or flowers! 🌹) TO YOUR DOOR is JUST PLAIN WORTH IT. Yep – stay in your PJ’s and take a nap while someone else does the running around for you.
I decided to try Amazon’s Prime Now Service to stock up on a few grocery items. We were completely out of eggs, milk, bread, cheese, ice cream (because that’s a staple around here 😉), salad fixings, and a few other items.
And, since I’m an Amazon Prime member who lives in the Austin area, I ordered the Whole Foods Market selections now available for 2-hour delivery (in select cities – including Austin, Cincinnati, Dallas, and Virginia Beach – with more cities coming in 2018). I thought to myself… is it really possible to have Whole Foods grocery items delivered to MY door in a few hours?
Why Yes, YES it is… and it makes me so HAPPY! 💃🏼
In just 3 hours, I placed an order consisting entirely of Whole Foods Market groceries AND had them delivered to my doorstep! SWEET! However, you may be wondering… is it truly worth it? Keep reading.
First, here’s the scoop about Prime Now:
- You must be an Amazon Prime member to use this service (go here to sign up for a FREE trial!).
- You’ll get FREE 2-hour delivery with a $35 purchase (or pay $7.99 to receive items in an hour).
- You must spend at least $35 per store – no mix and match.*
- Delivery is available daily from 8AM – 10PM.
- If you order perishables, you must be present to receive your order.
- Tips are suggested at $5 and can be charged within 48 hours after delivery.
- No cash is accepted at the door.
*Note: I can order from 3 different stores in my area with free 2-hour delivery whenever I spend $35 (for Amazon, Whole Foods or Sprouts). However, I can not mix and match items from these stores and have to spend $35 for each store in order to qualify for free 2-hour delivery.
Here’s what I LOVED ❤ about Prime Now.
- CONVENIENCE, CONVENIENCE, CONVENIENCE 🏆 – I love having organic, natural groceries from Whole Foods Market delivered to my door while I’m in my pajamas!
- All grocery items arrived properly fresh/frozen and in great condition.
- Produce and meat items looked fresh and all expiration dates on foods were valid.
- Refrigerated and frozen items arrived in insulated, reusable freezer bags.
- I received adequate communication via text from my Prime Now shopper.
- My floral items were so stinkin’ pretty – and they only cost $5!
What are the CONS of Prime Now?
- Delivery took around 3 hours, instead of the advertised 2-hour delivery. For me, this isn’t a huge deal-breaker, since I wasn’t planning to go anywhere (it’s just something to keep in mind).
- Prices are going to be slightly higher compared to shopping the sales with coupons. That said, keep in mind that you can shop the “Weekly Specials” and save on select Whole Foods products (click the Weekly Specials banner on left-hand side of Whole Foods Market page).
- Things did get a little hairy when I pulled out the insulated bag that was holding my precious ice cream and found several long hairs stuck to it. 🤢
How does Amazon Prime Now delivery work?
- 1:40PM CST: I shopped and placed my order online.
- They stated a 2-hour delivery, but at checkout the earliest delivery window I could choose was between 4-6PM. That’s more like a 2.5-4.5 hour delivery.
- 1:43PM CST: Got a text message from my Prime Now shopper – they’re working on my order.
- 4:34PM CST: Got a text message saying my Prime Now order will arrive soon!
- 4:40PM CST: Received my order and started unpacking!
Here’s my Whole Foods order from Prime Now.
365 Everyday Value Milk – Whole Gallon $3.29
365 Everyday Value Ice Cream Mint Chocolate Chip 56oz $5.99
365 Everyday Value Colby Jack Bar Cheese 8oz $2.99
365 Everyday Value Chicken Breast Boneless Skinless Organic Pre-Packed $8.18
365 Everyday Value White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips 16oz $2.99
365 Everyday Value Eggs Brown Cage Free Non GMO Fed Large 12ct $2.99
365 Everyday Value Classic White Organic Bread 22oz $3.99
Organic Hass Avocado Hass 1ct $1.79
Organic Plum Roma Tomato 1ct $0.69
Herb Cilantro Bunch 1ct $0.99
Banana with Whole Trade Guarantee $0.20
Beef Ground 85/15 Patties, 1lb $5.99
Organic Romaine Lettuce Romaine 1ct $2.29
Rose Spray 5-stem Flowers $5
Total = $47.37
Delivery Fee = FREE
Tip = $5
Tax = $0.41
Final cost $52.78 delivered to my door in 3 hours! Easy peasy!
My overall verdict?
Although I won’t be using Amazon Prime Now for my everyday grocery shopping, I’m in love with the fact that I can call on them for backup when needed. The convenience is amazing and the quality of foods I received was superb. I saved a ton of time with Prime Now, and to me – that’s money.
Have you ordered from Prime Now? Share your thoughts below!
Written by Mary for Hip2Save. Mary is a proud mom to 3 kids in Austin, TX, who thrives off Jesus, running long distance, bargain shopping, warm Texas weather, a yummy latte…and a little Candy Crush from time to time. She also loves quality time with family & friends and sharing great deals with others.