5 Clever Ways to Save Big Money on Your Next Vacation
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Planning an upcoming vacation?
If you’re looking for ways to save money on airfare, lodging, entertainment, dining out and more, we’re here to hook you up with our favorite travel tips!
1.) Book airline tickets 7 weeks in advance.
Does the time of day you buy your flight really matter? For years, travel experts suggested booking plane tickets on Tuesdays because that was when the airlines released their cheapest seats. However, that’s no longer the case. Nowadays, it’s not just the day of the week but the number of days before your trip that should determine when you book your airline reservations.
Travel analysts now suggest that Thursday is the best day of the week to buy airline tickets, but there’s really no guarantee that flights will be cheaper on this day (scope out the tickets on Thursdays first but don’t expect rock bottom prices). The most expensive day to buy flights? Sunday.
In general, you’ll get the best deal if you book your plane ticket approximately seven weeks before your desired departure date (eight weeks out from your departure date if flying internationally).
⭐ Check out the links at the bottom of this post to save on airline reservations!
2. Download hotel apps for incredible deals.
If you’re looking to book a hotel room without spending a lot out of pocket, download free apps like Hotel Tonight or Hotels.com that allow you to book highly rated hotels at amazing last-minute rates… a win-win! When hotels have unsold rooms, they’re loaded onto the app, which allows YOU to book those rooms at incredibly low rates for tonight, tomorrow, or next week.
⭐ Check out the links at the bottom of this post to save on hotel reservations!
3.) Discover your credit card member perks.
If you’re a cardholder, check out the discounts and rewards associated with your credit card company before booking a vacation. Several credit cards offer rewards like free flights, discounted hotel stays, and more. Check out this article for a list of the best travel credit cards.
Also, select banks offer entertainment perks for cardholders. For example, during the first full weekend of each month, Bank of America’s Museums on Us program offers cardholders free admission to 150+ museums in 31 states with a Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card.
⭐ Planning a Disney vacation? Check out this helpful post for tips and tricks from other cardholders and read how they saved on their vacations by using their Disney VISA card.
4.) Buy restaurant coupons and entertainment books.
An Entertainment Book comes filled with money saving coupons featuring local restaurants, entertainment and retail spots, grocery stores, and more. You can even plan ahead by grabbing a few books when a sale pops up!
Restaurant.com provides great deals for thousands of restaurants across the country. However, be sure to read the restaurant’s special instructions before purchasing a certificate (many restaurants require a minimum purchase, an 18% gratuity prior to the certificate being applied, may be valid for food or dinner only – or may only apply to select days).
5.) Watch for offers on deal sites.
Be sure to sign up for daily deals from sites like Groupon and LivingSocial for the city that you’re traveling to, so you can see which restaurants are available in the area – along with entertainment ideas for the family, hotel packages, and more! Plus, consider purchasing a few deals whenever there’s a discount code available and you’ll save even more.
Try these other popular sites to save on travel:
- Booking Buddy
- Search for your favorite travel websites with fewer clicks and in less time! Save on hotels, vacation packages, cruises, flights, cars, and more – up to 80% off!
- Get big savings on hotels in 85,000 destinations worldwide. Browse hotel reviews and find the guaranteed best price on hotels for all budgets.
- Search cheap airline tickets and book discount airfares and air tickets, including cheap last minute fares.
- Costco Travel
- Costco Travel offers everyday savings on top-quality, brand-name vacations, hotels, cruises, and rental cars, exclusively for Costco members.
- Dunhill Travel Deals
- Save up to 70% on hotels, cruises, vacations, airfare, and more!
- Expedia (and Expedia Disney Vacation Packages)
- Buy discounted airline tickets, read reviews, reserve a hotel, and find deals on vacations, rental cars, and cruises with great prices guaranteed!
- Search more than 173,000 hotels throughout North America, Europe, Latin America, and Asia, and find last minute travel deals!
- Search other travel sites all in one spot and find the best deals on flights, hotels, rental cars, and vacation packages.
- Save on hotels, flights, car rentals, cruises, vacation packages, and destination activities!
- Find deep discounts on hotels, flights, and rental cars.
- Rue La La
- Search for various travel deals worldwide. Each day, they offer different Boutiques filled with the best in travel, fashion, home, kids, and more.
- Sky Scanner
- Skyscanner’s free flight search tool will help you locate cheap flights and flight deals with popular airlines like American, Delta, Southwest, Frontier, Allegiant Air, Volaris, and United Airlines.
- Shermans Travel
- Save up to 70% off of travel deals worldwide!
- Search over 400 airlines and more than 321,000 hotels worldwide, plus more.
- Search the world’s largest travel site with over 200 million+ unbiased traveler reviews and over 200+ sites to find the best hotel prices.
Note that travel agents are useful if you’re planning a costly or complex trip, a honeymoon, or traveling with a large group. Travel agents have access to a large database of deals and bulk buying options, especially when it comes to tours, high-end flights, and cruises.
Happy traveling! 😀
How do YOU save on travel?
Written by Mary for Hip2Save. Mary is a proud mom to 3 kids in Austin, TX, who thrives off Jesus, running long distance, bargain shopping, warm Texas weather, a yummy latte…and a little Candy Crush from time to time. She also loves quality time with family & friends and sharing great deals with others.