The Best DIY Shower Cleaner – Only 3 Ingredients That You May Already Have!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
The best DIY shower cleaner only requires 3 ingredients!
Cleaning day has never been easier!
Cleaning the bathroom is a task we must regularly complete, and with the best DIY shower cleaner recipe we’ve found, it just got a whole lot easier. It’s only three ingredients, and you probably already have them in your pantry!
There are countless reasons to go down the DIY cleaning route, especially if you want to know exactly what’s in your cleaner. This DIY shower cleaner will guarantee deep cleaning with no harsh chemicals or toxins. Plus, this cleaner is super easy to throw together!
This is a solution for all aspects of your bathroom. I’ve seen this similar technique in a few places, including My Heavenly Recipes and Family Savvy, and some people mention heating up the solution. I personally don’t see the difference in that as long as you shake the ingredients enough before each use to be perfectly combined.
BHG provided two solutions to clean your shower, and I decided to tweak the easier method since I didn’t want to remove the entirety of my shower head. Frugally Sustainable also uses this simple method!
It comes down to three ingredients.
White vinegar is one of the best cleaning ingredients you can use, and we’re going to use it to clean out the showerhead spray nozzle as well as rid shower surfaces of any hard water spots. Liquid dish soap combats grease when you wash dishes, and it’s going to do the same for that stubborn grime in your shower. Lastly, baking soda is an old-fashioned cleaning component that’s going to make your showerhead run like new.
Hip tips for making the best DIY shower cleaner:
- Use any dishwashing soap you prefer, though I recommend Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap. A small bottle of it is less than a dollar, it’s gentle and biodegradable, and guarantees 50% less scrubbing, meaning the gunk in your shower will easily come off.
- If you want to avoid the vinegar smell, try adding a few drops of fragrance oil of your choice (I love the Capri Blue Volcano scent), or a dash of dish soap for when you’re using the vinegar soak on the showerhead.
- Microfiber towels are great to use to wipe away this DIY shower cleaner, but you could also use a sponge, washcloth, or even a wand scrubber.
- If using a wand dish scrubber, try filling it with the cleaner and leaving it hanging in the shower for a time-saving solution. This way, after you take a shower, you can also quickly use your scrubber to clean the shower and rinse. (this works especially great on glass doors!)
- When combining ingredients for the showerhead, pour as slowly as possible. The baking soda tends to bubble when added with vinegar too quickly and could potentially overflow.
- I also used this cleaner on my sink and faucet, and it worked wonders!
DIY Shower CleanerPrint
Who else is inspired to do some cleaning!? 🙋♀️
I may have been slightly skeptical about the showerhead hack with a plastic bag, but it works awesome! I soaked mine for a couple of hours and the hard water spots wiped off easily.
Now that you have yourself a shiny, good-as-new bathroom to enjoy, remember you can keep this up weekly to ensure never scrubbing again! Happy cleaning! 🧼
Looking for more DIY cleaning methods? Try DIY laundry stripping!