Mexican Street Corn is a Must Try Side Dish This Summer!
Ever had Mexican street corn called “Elote” before?
It’s an ear of mouth-watering grilled corn on the cob topped with a yummy sour cream/mayo, lime, and cotija cheese mixture that is insanely delicious. Mexican street corn makes a perfect snack or side dish to serve at a BBQ, and is surprisingly easy to make at home!
This summer, make your own version of Mexican grilled street corn that’s bursting with bright flavor and a tasty creamy texture. Ordinary corn on the cob is a staple recipe in the summertime, but this levels it up with rich mayo, salty cotija cheese, and fresh cilantro.
Tips for making the best Mexican street corn at home:
- Cotija cheese can usually be found with other specialty cheeses, but if you can’t find it, I have used crumbled feta and parmesan cheese as alternates and those are tasty too.
- You can leave a bit of the husk at the bottom to use as a handle, but it may be good to soak in water for a bit first before grilling since they tend to burn easily.
- If you aren’t wanting to use an outdoor grill, you could bake the corn in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the corn is soft.
- For those that like food extra spicy, sprinkle extra chile powder to taste before eating. It’s yum!
- Hip2Save Reader Melanie made this recipe into a corn salad! “I made this last night with a bag of frozen corn and feta cheese instead of cotija, and used all of the remaining ingredients. I cooked the corn in a frying pan to char it up a bit and then stirred in the sauce and feta. Amazing! I loved the cilantro and lime flavors.”
Mexican Grilled Street Corn
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 25 MINUTES
Grilled sweet corn on the cob topped with a creamy tangy mixture and rolled in crumbled cheese.
Get ready to bite into HEAVEN! SO GOOD!
This corn is my husband’s favorite side dish and he usually asks me to make it when smoking ribs on his Traeger grill. I’ve made it so many times over the years and half the time I don’t even measure ingredients and just eyeball it. It’s so easy to customize and is overall a family favorite!