Grow Your Own Butterflies With These Butterfly Habitats on Amazon | Magical Family Experience
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Get Excited for These Caterpillar Habitats on Amazon – They’ll Give You Butterflies! 🦋
Butterfly habitats give children a chance to study nature and witness butterfly metamorphosis up close.
If studying the life cycle of a butterfly sounds like a fun activity your family would enjoy, here are five of the best butterfly habitats available for purchase right now on Amazon.
Keep reading for some helpful tips to remember while raising your caterpillars to butterflies!
The Insect Lore Butterfly Garden Habitat is Amazon’s #1 best-seller.
Insect Lore’s Butterfly Garden comes with five live caterpillars and two butterfly journals your children can use for keeping track of their observations as they watch and learn. Insect Lore also sells caterpillar “refills” so your kids can keep studying Painted Lady butterflies as they reuse their habitat over and over again!
Keep in mind that these need to be delivered when the weather is between 55 and 85 degrees.
Here are a few options to choose from:
- Insect Lore Butterfly Garden Home School Edition with Live Caterpillars – $31.05 shipped (regularly $36.48)
- Butterfly Garden: Original Habitat w/ Two Live Cups of Caterpillars & STEM Journal – $34 shipped (regularly $42.99)
- Insect Lore Butterfly Garden Home School Edition w/ Caterpillar Certificate – $35.14 (regularly $39.99)
This sturdy Butterfly Terrarium has two zipped entries.
This professional-grade pop-up butterfly habitat is made with a high-quality tight-weave mesh that is breathable, durable, and easy to clean. We love that it has an extra zipped opening on the side for easy access when there are chrysalises hanging from the top panel.
A big collapsible habitat will give your butterflies room to grow.
This collapsible mesh terrarium pops up to nearly two feet tall, giving your butterflies plenty of room to stretch their wings. It’s big enough to house a potted plant, which is nice because caterpillars prefer to feed on living foliage rather than fallen leaves.
This highly-rated Pop-Up Butterfly Cage is an affordable option.
Trasfit’s Pop-Up Insect and Butterfly Cage is just the right size for beginning butterfly enthusiasts. It has mesh on all sides for superior breathability, loops for hanging it up, and a large zipper opening for easy release when it’s time to let your butterflies go.
This hanging Mini Butterfly Habitat is a real space-saver.
At just 11′ x 7.5″, this butterfly habitat is sure to fit just about any space. One side of this hanging terrarium is made from clear vinyl, for a clear view of what’s happening inside. It can also be hung up out of reach from curious fingers or set on a table-top for easy observation.
Tips for raising caterpillars to butterflies inside a habitat:
- Most butterfly habitats do not come with caterpillars, so plan to order them separately if needed.
- Make sure that your area has a suitable climate and appropriate food for the type of butterfly you’d like to raise and release. Many of the caterpillars sold on Amazon are the Painted Lady species, which can thrive in most environments.
- Pay attention to daytime temperatures in your area and only order your caterpillars when temperatures are expected to remain between 55ºF and 85ºF. Caterpillars may not survive shipping in extreme heat or cold.
- Avoid handling the caterpillars and butterflies at any stage of development. Their soft bodies and sensitive skin make them easy to harm by accident.
- Plan to release your butterflies on a calm, warm, sunny day. Mid-morning is best so that they have time to feed and to find a safe spot before nighttime.
- Support your child’s love of both reading and science by giving them a book about butterflies to go along with their habitat!
Keep your kids learning all summer long with these fun science and craft kits on Amazon!