Is Your Teen Looking for a Job? These Companies Hire 14-and 15-Year-Olds!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Do you have a young teenager looking for a job?
Do you have a mature and motivated teen as young as 14 or 15 years old in your family who is hoping to earn extra spending money? If so, they may be able to apply for a job with certain companies that are known to hire teenagers as young as fourteen!
What laws surround hiring young teens?
According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, fourteen is the minimum hiring age for non-agricultural employment with limits on the number of hours minors can work and the types of jobs they can perform. For fourteen and fifteen-year-old employees, ALL work must be performed outside of school hours and they may not work:
- More than 3 hours on a school day, including Friday.
- Over 18 hours per week when school is in session.
- More than 8 hours per day when school is not in session.
- More than 40 hours per week when school is not in session.
- Before 7 AM or after 7 PM on any day, except from June 1st through Labor Day, when night-time work hours are extended to 9 PM.
In some states, teens may need to obtain a work permit to seek employment. The best way to find out if they’ll need to complete this step is by consulting with their school’s guidance office or the state’s department of labor. Although some exceptions may apply, teens must generally be paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour (but this will depend on what they do and where they work).
Think outside the babysitting box with our list of companies that hire young teens!
The following companies hire mature fourteen and fifteen-year-old employees, although it is important to note that the hiring process does vary by store and region. Contact the local business in your area to learn more about their individual hiring practices and requirements. There may also be limited positions available for younger workers, so inquire early!
- AMC Theaters (hires ushers and concession workers 14 and older)
- Baskin-Robbins (hires team members 14 and older; select locations)
- Bruster’s (hires team members 14 and older based on state labor laws and local store policies)
- Ben & Jerry’s (hires team members 14 and older)
- Burger King (hires team members 14 and older)
- Chick-fil-A (hires team members 14 and older; select locations)
- Culver’s (hires team members 14 and older)
- Dairy Queen (hires team members 14 and older)
- Fareway (hires team members 14 and older for the Grocery Department)
- Giant Eagle (hires bakery clerks or shopping cart attendants as young as 14)
- KFC (hires 14-year-olds for basic restaurant jobs)
- Kroger & affiliates (hires baggers or stockers with proper work permit – as young as 14)
- McDonald’s (hires crew members as young as 14)
- Palace Entertainment (hires team members 14 and older for positions in Park Services, Admissions, Food & Beverage Cashier, and Parking Attendant)
- Pizza Hut (hires team members 14 and older for non-driving positions)
- Publix (hires cashiers and clerks 14 and older)
- Rita’s Italian Ice (hires treat team members 14 and older)
- Runza (hires crew members 14 and older)
- Safeway & affiliates (hires baggers with work permits as young as 14)
- Six Flags (hires young teens for part-time work as a skill game operator or to fill roles in food or ice cream trucks)
- Taco Bell (hires team members 14 and older)
- Winn-Dixie & affiliates (hires baggers 14 and older)
Still looking for more ideas?
Another option to consider is Care.com. Teens between the ages of 14 and 17 can create a parent-monitored account and check out the available jobs in their area, including babysitting, pet care, house sitting, lawn maintenance and more! Other great places to promote your services include Nextdoor or in your neighborhood’s Facebook group.
The following jobs listed below are great for young teens just entering the workforce, as they require minimal experience and are great for building resumes. Also, be sure to think about your specific region, as local attractions, delis, pizzerias, car washes, pools, parks, etc. may be willing to hire younger teens.
- Artist (selling handmade art/crafts online)
- Camp Counselor
- Car Washer
- Child Care Assistant
- Concession Worker
- Dog Walker
- Fast Food Worker
- Food Prep Worker
- Golf Caddy
- Grocery Store Bagger
- Harvest Helper at a Farm/Orchard
- House Sitter
- Independent Living Retirement Communities
- Kennel Assistant
- Lawn Mower
- Mother’s Helper
- Music Teacher
- Nursery Worker
- Office Worker
- Paper Delivery Person
- Pet Sitter
- Plant Sitter
- Private Sports Coach/Swim Instructor
- Restaurant Hostess/Host
- Restaurant Busser
- Rec League Sports Referee/Umpire
- Summer Reading/Math Tutor for Elementary School Students
- Weed Puller