USPS Operation Santa Starts TODAY: Adopt a Letter & Play Santa to a Family In Need!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Here’s how you can participate in the USPS Operation Santa letter submission & adoption program.
Here’s a thoughtful way to give back this holiday season!
Here at Hip2Save, we truly love sharing all the latest deals with you, and we’re so thankful to play a part in making the holidays more affordable for families all over the country! Unfortunately, there are still a lot of families in need who struggle around this time of year while trying to provide their loved ones with a memorable holiday season.
Luckily, the USPS is running its Operation Santa program once again this year, and it’s the perfect opportunity to help others and give back! Starting today, November 20th, you can “adopt” letters and help another family!
What’s Operation Santa?
Every year, the USPS receives tons of hopeful letters to Santa. Instead of tossing these heartfelt letters, the USPS decided to respond and the initiative became known as Operation Santa.
Today, the USPS collects letters and holiday wish lists from families all over the country. Once the letters are accepted and the writers’ personal information removed, they’re put “up for adoption” for folks from all around the US. Those that adopt can then purchase the wish list items and get them to the families with a little help from the USPS.
It’s a safe way to spread the holiday cheer and help other families have the best holiday possible.
For weeks, the USPS has been collecting those letters & soon they are up for adoption!
If you’re looking to be a part of the Operation Santa program this year, you’ll be allowed to adopt up to 15 letters starting today, November 20th! If you haven’t signed up for the program already, you’ll need to create an account to verify your ID and register to participate.
- Visit the USPS Operation Santa website and click “letter adoption.”
- Select “register & verify ID” if you haven’t yet. Note that even if you’ve participated in the past, you’ll need to renew your registration each year. Preregistration begins on November 6th.
- Create an account and verify your ID and password. If you aren’t able to verify your ID online, you can visit one of the 19,000 participating Post Office locations with a Label Broker service.
- After you’re approved, you’ll receive an email with detailed information on how to join in and make the most of the program by adopting a letter or letters. You can begin adopting letters now!
Businesses are also welcome to take part in the USPS Operation Santa program, but every individual participant will need to go through the verification process.
Looking to submit a wish list? It’s not too late!
Through December 11th, you can write your letter to Santa, enclose it in an envelope with a First-Class Mail stamp, fill in your complete return address including apartment number and directional information (if necessary, ex. E Main St, Apt 103), and Zip Code, and mail it to Santa’s official workshop address:
123 Elf Road
North Pole, 88888
If you’d like some inspiration and tips, the USPS has a helpful guide for writing the perfect letter to Santa!
Plan to participate? Here are some key dates to remember:
- November 6: Preregistration and ID verification begins for adopters
- November 20: Letters are now available for adoption; make sure you register first.
- December 11: Last day to place wish list letters in the mail.
- December 18: This is the last day for adopters to adopt letters and ship their packages. Adoptions close at 8 pm ET.