Best Apps to Help YOU Save Money, Time, & More

So how many of you have apps (i.e. software that runs on mobile internet-enabled devices) on your mobile phone?! I would guess that most of you have one or more apps that you use for educational or entertainment purposes or maybe to assist you with budgeting, grocery shopping and/or couponing. Did you know that at the start of this year, there were more than 500,000 mobile apps for consumer and business use?! Yikes! That’s a HUGE number!

So what kind of apps would a Hipster enjoy? Money-saving, time-saving, and FREE apps, of course! :D Here’s my Hip List of apps as recommended by very helpful Hip2Save readers and online reviews…

(To see all of the “Hip” apps, click the link below “Read More / Post Your Comments”.)

Mobile Coupons

* Coupon Sherpa
(Free for iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad)
Coupon Sherpa is the first mobile version of printable coupons, but without the paper! This app delivers to your phone coupons, shopping offers, and sales based on your location. Coupons can be redeemed in the store, but not online. The app doesn’t include high-value manufacturer coupons like the ones you clip from the Sunday newspaper although there may be coupons you can use for groceries at stores like WalMart or Target. Most of the coupons are for big retailers like ToyRUs, Office Max, and Old Navy. The app is generally geared to coupons for toys, clothing, and books – with a limited selection of grocery coupons.

* Mobiqpons
(Free for iPhone & Android)
This app offers the same features as Coupon Sherpa. You can also search for deals or coupons in locations other than your hometown area. In addition, you can track offers from your favorite stores, save coupons for later use, and email and share with your friends.

* Cellfire’s Mobile Coupons
(Free for iPhone & Android)
Have you ever arrived at your local grocery store only to realize that you have left your stash of coupons at home? That may no longer be an issue with the January 2011 launch of location-targeted mobile grocery coupons app from Cellfire. Now, instead of browsing through the newspaper for coupons to clip, you can opt to receive a real-time alert on your mobile device of the coupons available to you, as you enter the grocery store itself. Drawbacks to this app: The number of available coupons is limited, and the CellFire app currently only works with a small number of participating grocery stores (Krogers, Kroger, King Soopers, Smith’s, Frys, Vons, & Ralphs). In addition, Cellfire coupons do not double, and you can only use a coupon once.

* Shopkick
(Free for iPhone & Android)
Shopkick is a FREE location-based shopping app that gives you rewards and offers simply for walking into stores, for scanning products, and for signing up friends. Most recently, Shopkick offered its members a one-day only coupon good for 40% of any pair of jeans at American Eagle Outfitters…you can check out more about this app and this recent offer in the post here.

Loyalty Cards in One Place – on Your Phone!

* Key Ring
(Free for iPhone & Android)
Tired of carrying all those loyalty cards around? Use Key Ring to scan & store your existing loyalty cards, enroll in new loyalty programs, and access exclusive discounts. When you’re at checkout, all you have to do is show your phone to the cashier! In addition, this app provides coupons and special offers from your favorite retailers.

Grocery Shopping List

* Grocery IQ
(Free for iPhone & iPod Touch, iPad and Android)
This grocery shopping app lets you create your grocery list from a database of more than 130,000 items by speaking or typing the items needed into your phone. You can also instantly find coupons and review grocery products while cruising down the grocery aisle. However, if you like to track costs and maintain multiple shopping lists, you’re out of luck with this app.

* Grocery Guru
(Free for iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad)
GroceryGuru is a grocery shopping app that comes with many helpful features. It allows you to create and save multiple shopping lists and check the items off in the store with one tap. You can assemble your list from a variety of preloaded items or create your own custom items. Items can be sorted and listed alphabetically or by category. This app includes a store finder which enables you to view store details and get directions to the store. Upcoming features: Ability to share lists, an “Add Notes” area, and a companion web app that will sync phone, desktop, and iPad to allow access and editing of a shopping list from any device.

What Should I Make for Dinner?

* All Recipe’s Dinner Spinner
(Free for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad)
If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you have likely heard me mention that I love AllRecipes.com…I use both the web-site and the mobile app almost daily. All Recipe’s Dinner Spinner allows you to search a selection of their most popular recipes by ingredient (you can include up to 8 ingredients) and or by nutrition information, bookmark your favorite recipes, email recipes to your friends, view photos and recipe ratings and more.

* Cook’s Illustrated
(Free for iPhone & iPod touch)
This app gives you 50 of Cook’s Illustrated’s all-time best recipes, along with a collection of popular and practical supermarket ingredient reviews (i.e. they’ll tell you which brands to buy and which to avoid), recipe videos, and kitchen timer and shopping list features.

Find the Cheapest Price for an Item

* Google Shopper
(Free for iPhone, iPod Touch, & Android)
This app enables you to use your phone as a barcode scanner & a price comparison tool. EX: You’re at a bookstore & want to do a price comparison on a certain book. You can scan the barcode of the book, take a picture of the cover, or speak the title of the book into the phone, and Google Shopper will search the web to see where the cheapest book is located, both offline and online! This app also shows you product reviews on items you are thinking about buying.

* RedLaser
(Free for iPhone & iPod Touch and Android)
RedLaser technology is an app designed around eBay’s reselling site Half.com, but it also uses product results from Google, eBay, and others. You can take a picture of a bar code on a product and then scan Half.com’s inventory to find price points on new and used items there. Then you can actually buy them through the app and share the details of your purchase on Facebook or Twitter.

* ShopSavvy
(Free for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad and Android)
With ShopSavvy, you can find items by either typing them on your phone keyboard or using the camera to scan the bar code. This app gives you the cheapest local or online price. For local products, you can get map directions, visit the store’s website, or call the store. For online products, you can visit the store’s website or share product details using Facebook or Twitter. You can also compare user reviews, add an item to your wish list, or set a price alert to notify you when an item drops below a certain price. This app keeps a history of items you’ve scanned. Drawbacks of ShopSavvy: The bar code scanner relies on the product having a bar code, and it won’t scan in dim light. In addition, ShopSavvy doesn’t work with grocery items and all local merchants.

Track your Spending & Create a Budget

* iXpenselt
($4.99 for iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad)
A very handy app that allows you to record your expenses as you incur them so you can easily track your daily spending. With iXpenselt, you can create a budget and customize reports that show you where your money is being spent based on category (i.e., groceries, take-out food, fuel for your car, household utilities). You can even store receipts on your phone – using your phone’s camera. There’s also a free version of this app, but it has limited features.

Earn Money using your Phone!

* Field Agent
(Free for iPhone)
This app pays YOU if you are willing to accept and complete simple tasks (like taking a photo directly from your phone or filling out a survey)!

Snag a Free App that typically Costs $

* Free App for a Day (FAAD)
(Free for iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad and Android)
Worth checking out for applications and games that typically have a cost attached. FAAD goes to work and asks developers to make their app free for a day.

How about you? Do you have any apps that you can’t live without? Please let us know in the comments below.

• aesha says:

luv this! u rock collin! i had some and just learned alot of apps to add— i luv to save money and this will make it easier– thanks and god bless!

• Wellll, this isn’t free, but the Motivated Mom’s app has revolutionized my life. I’ve got all my friends hooked, it’s a MUST for all ladies out there (not just moms!)

• sarah says:

I use the Afullcup.com App. that way i can check out the latest deals at my grocery or drug store while i am on the go and if a hot deal is at the store i know to go while i am out and don’t have to wait untill i am back on my pc :)

I like Coupon Sherpa as well for every day shopping saving.

• Anonymous says:

love that darn motivated moms as well. My house is much cleaner overall, and it tells me to chill out, when the list is done, I am done…

• Sarah says:

My hubby has a droid and he found an app that keeps all his reward cards that he would normally carry on a key ring on an app. Its great!

• Nora-Lee says:

No free apps for Blackberry? :(

• laura says:

seriously! no love for the ancient blackberry, haha! one more reason why i want to upgrade to an android :-)

• Heather says:

COME ON BLACKBERRY APPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

• Mari says:

I was coming here to ask the samething, I always see those little codes for scanning on the ads and stuff and wonder if any of that can be done with my trusty old Blackberry Tour.

• loriann says:

Ok, I just swapped to a Droid because of all the wonderful apps, but here are some that were on my BB:

Card Star…keeps all the cards like Key Ring
            ATT Bar code scanner…scans those funny square ones, but keeps the image on your phone, so you will have to delete them after a while.
            ShopCreel for shopping lists
            Where for movie info and gas prices, also helps you find Starbucks and other things too.

• sara says:

I’m with you ..we need some cool apps too!!!!

• Kelly says:

I have the Samsung Intercept through Virgin Mobile and love it for just $42.99 a month with unlimited text and web and 1200 minutes of talk time! Can’t beat it!

• susan says:

keyring is amazing. My keys and wallet are so much lighter!

• kim says:

I want a Hip2Save app!!!!

• Anonymous says:

Me too!!!!!!

• Kristen says:

Maybe not an app, but if you subscribe to the feeds in Google Reader, Reader then has an app for the droid so you can flip through what’s happening here.

• Amy says:

There is one! Got my iPhone about a month ago…went to look up hip2save via safari and it asked if I wanted to download the app…awesome!

• Linda W. says:

So glad you posted that! Just got my iphone last week and when i read that, went and loaded it on my phone right then! Thanks so much for the information!

• Sarah says:

There is a hip app!! I was pulling up hip2save on my iphone and it asked me if I wanted the app and I downloaded it to my phone and now I can flip through and see the headings of the posts and click on them to expand and read.

• Karen says:

I was able to make hip2save an app for my ipad…love it!!!

• Bonnie says:

I never even downloaded it, but when I load Hip2Save into my iphone, the post automatically show up headings only and you can see a bunch at once. I love it!!!

• Alma says:

Well, if you have an Ipod touch (and I guess an Iphone as well), when you do your navigating in Hip2Save it will prompt you to elect for the ipod version and then it will download the application to your ipod! I have mine already! It’s nice, and then you can save the deals you’re reading into the instapaper to read them later!!! It is awesome!

• Rene says:

I use Ziplist.com on my computer and android. I can enter things I need and information on coupons I need to use and when the sale over. Plus it’s free.

• adisa says:

i tried using coupon sherpa before and was told they need proof that they scanned a coupon they cant just scan off your phone they need paper so i deleted the app after that.

• Kelly says:

I don’t have a “hip” phone, but my husband does and when I ran across these, I had to share them with him. Fake a call: you can plan a fake call. Take me to my car: down load this app and it will save you current position, touch the screen and it will give you walking directions to your car. RunPee: this tells you the best time to go pee during a movie and what you missed when you did. All FREE @ itunes, but for iphones, iPads, and iPod touch.

• anyone have ideas fpr printing coupons.com and bricks coupons from an ipad? I tried Printer Pro app, but it won’t work

• Sarah says:

My husband and I are currently working on a coupon tracking/organization app for iPhone. I’m designing it with features like marking that you have a manf and store coupon for the same item. If anyone has suggestions for features, let me know. Also wanted to mention Shopper is a great shopping list app and Appadvice.com posts apps that are temporarily free each day.

• Alma says:

Do you what I reeeaaaally would like to have in an app (ipod, more specifically)?! Something that will let me go to hip2save’s coupon database and select the coupons that I have and create a list with only the ones I selected. I always want to know what coupons I have and when they expire without having to go through my binder. Specially because that would be easier for checking while I am at the store. I was using coupon manager, but it is really hard to be typing each coupon, specially because someone else might already have done that and posted in the web!! So, how come I can’t put it in my very own list?
      Well, I think that it will be very, very helpful.
      Thanks!

• lacey says:

Sarah I was thinking about the same but I dont have knowledge of apps designing. I am so glad that you and your husband are working on this one. I was wondering if there is a way to design an app where I can put in a product say Honey bunches of oats and hit search and the app give me the current price of product at my near by stores and also the manufactured , store coupons that will go with the deal. This way I guess a consumer can pick what works great for them.

• Sarah says:

I’ll definitely look into adding something like this to the app. Currently Shopper has a feature that looks for local deals called Flyers and ShopSavvy lists prices online and locally but doesn’t always have the local prices as users have to enter them.

• Kristen says:

This is very helpful. I already had the Droid apps for Kroger and for JoAnn fabrics (where I shop OFTEN) and some of these will be helpful too. One thing I learned about the Kroger when I was there was that there is no lag time to wait for an e-coupon to hit – load it on your card in the aisle and it rings up at checkout. I thought I had read – maybe this was Food Lion though – that you had to wait an hour before electronic coupons you added to your card online could be used.

• Mama Bear says:

This list is very helpful. Thanks! I use BetterBuy to see which items are the better buy since I’m terrible at math.

• Hillary says:

Bummed that there are not more apps for Blackberry! I recently switched to an Android but I missed my Blackberry so much that I went back to the Blackberry! If they could some how blend the two that would be perfect!
    Anyone know of some great apps for the Blackberry?

• Jen Inacio says:

Collin thanks for the recommendations for apps. I swear my Ipod has WAY more apps than music on it.

The coupons.com app will only print to a wireless HP printer. Supposedly they are going to change this, but who knows when that will be. I think we need to form a protest and e-mail them. Maybe if enough people complained they would change it.

As for apps,
    ConvertUnits – great if you are trying to convert from US to Metric
    Text Now – will turn your Ipod into a phone to text to another cell, or even better yet, make VOiP phone calls on any wireless network.

Weather apps- both of these work GREAT and give you real time map updates to see what the weather is like in your area.
    Accuweather.com
    Weather.com

BUMP – if you and someone else you know has an Ipod/Iphone, both of you need to download BUMP. You fistbump someone to transfer files, pix, contact info ect. It’s GREAT. Works like a charm. Not to mention it just looks cool when you transfer files! :)

• steph says:

I started using Cozi when I saw it mentioned on a previous post…the calendar isn’t really working for my husband and I b/c he still needs to use his work calendar….but it is awesome for the shopping list feature! I can type in what i need and he can get it when he’s out!

• Kelly says:

OT: I have an extra 20% off Amazon diaper code if anyone wants it leave your email and I will email you back today!

• Maria S. says:

Thank you for all the savings apps, I’ll definitely have to start looking into them.
    I have Kroger, Cellfire, and Target on phone right now
    I heard of another one a couple months ago, it’s called FourSquare.
    I haven’t checked it out yet because I just got a phone that I can get apps on, yeah.
    Anyway, I guess FourSquare is an app that when you get to a store, coffee shop, etc, you check-in somehow and possibly get instant savings if the store is participating. Then, if someone frequents that place enough, and more than others, they become “mayor” or something of that location.
    I only saw it on the local news here in Houston so I don’t kow much about it
    Just thought I would add this under your awesome post.

• Anonymous says:

Yes. I work at a restraurant that participates in FourSquare. You get a free appetizer (and I don’t think there is a minimum purchase). I imagine other establishments are doing something similar!

• LCM says:

I love Checkpoints. My husband got me a Kindle for Christmas and I felt bad using Household money to fund my habit. I got this app in January and I am halfway to buying an iPod touch for said DH. You just scan items at grocery stores and get points. My referral code is livsmadmom.

• Chelsey Klein says:

I like “what’s the best deal cupcake” to figure out which is a better value per unit. It even does the unit conversion for you. It’s also a free app.

• Denise Kao says:

do i have to have iphone or droid in case to use those apps?
    my cell phone is HTC Touch Pro 2…. with wm 6.5

• :)Jennifer(: says:

I bought the ipad for the purpose of having movies (netfilx), games, coloring, and educational flashcards with me when I bring my 1 year old with me to all his older sisters sporting events, ortho doctor and dentist visits. 1 small device, millions of possibities. I found this one free app that my son LOVES!!!!! It’s all kinds of animals he can touch and it makes the animal sounds, real pictures, not cartoon drawings of these animals. I did spend the .99 to unlock all the animals, but you wouldn’t have to. Fun Animal Sounds by MindValley LLC.

• Jessica Y says:

I love this post everything is moving toward apps this makes it easier to find what we need/want please do more post like this Great job Collin

• Rachel F. says:

If anyone is interested in a To Do app there is one called Awesome Notes. There is a free version but it is very limited in the amount of To Dos you can create – the upgraded app does cost money but it is great! It is recommended by very busy people!

• Robin says:

This is great. I won an iPad and received it late Jan. these are great apps I can use. I don’t carry the iPad with me to the store but Im they will help me out. Thanks.

• lee says:

Shop savvy doesn’t work… I scanned items and the prices were totally off. I scanned aquaphor lotion, and it had it priced 1.50 higher than the actual price and the same store where I was. I’ve tried it with different stores and again, it doesn’t work. I wouldnt recommend this app.

• Lpmousse says:

I downloaded Gas Buddy a while back. It tells me where the cheapest gas prices are, so I can know which gas station to stop at while I’m out and about.
    I am also a big fan of Checkpoints. I’ve gotten many $1 Amazon gift card codes over the past months.
    I have ToDo as my checklist app. It was $10 when I purchased it, and now it’s only $4.99, but it is the greatest ToDo app EVER! I can set up recurring to dos, to dos with times, check lists, project lists, and many other cool features. I tried the free version, and knew I had to own it. While $10 may seem like a lot to spend on an app, for the number of times I use it, it has totally paid for itself. ;)

• Nicole says:

iReconcile is my fave app. It allows you to reconcile your checkbook on the go. So, you don’t have to save receipts and carry paper everywhere because Lord knows we have 500 coupons to carry :)

It’s for Iphone and Ipod.

• K says:

AppShopper for the iPad helps track pricing history of all apps, and you can sort by price cut, free, most popular etc. It also has options for push notifications to let you know if an app you’ve been watching has gone on sale so you can snatch it up for the best price.

Coupons.com app is also a hit. It is the only resource that allows me to print coupons from my iPad, as long as you have an hp printer (no other printing app is necessary). Unfortunately, other coupons sites won’t print because their special printer devices are not supported by the iPad browsers (not the lack of printing capabilities of the iPad).

• jen b. says:

The iPad/iPhone is awesome for saving us time by keeping the kiddos busy while we run errands, go out to dinner, etc! We have well over 200 apps, and my 3 1/2-year-old has learned much of his alphabet, nursery rhymes, counting, and even some super basic math just by playing. It’s incredible. Here’s a few apps I would not dare leave the house without if my little one is in tow:

WeetWoo! (Age appropriate “Channels” where kids can watch Mickey Mouse, Wow Wow Wubbzy!, Clifford, etc, listen to music, and so on, via parent-screened You Tube videos so you don’t have to worry about exposing them to objectionable material. Everything has pictures so the kids can navigate what they want to watch without you have to stop and read them the options. It’s $3.99 but worth EVERY penny.)

Monkey Preschool Lunchbox (.99 cents) and Monkey Preschool: When I Grow Up! (.99 cents)- Fun educational games that teach shapes, numbers, matching, puzzles, etc.

Any of the apps by Duck Duck Moose (such as Itsy Bitsy Spider, Fish School, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Park Match, Wheels on the Bus, Old MacDonald, Park Math)- Run anywhere from .99 to 1.99. The graphics are wonderful and the songs won’t get on your nerves. I can’t believe how much my son has learned from these apps.

And for some semi-mindless fun for the kiddies and adults: Angry Birds (both the original and Angry Birds Seasons) and Cut the Rope, all for .99 cents each. You wouldn’t think a young child would be able to figure out the strategy to these games, but I really do think it gives them a sense of cause and effect and reasoning. Don’t be surprised if you get hooked too!!

Just as a big FYI that my husband shared recently: If you have an iPad let’s say and then decide to buy an iPhone, make sure you buy the apps you are going to want on both devices in the iPhone format. You can use an iPhone app on an iPad, but apparently, you cannot use an iPad app on an iPhone (I am guessing due to the different in resolutions needed for the size of an iPad screen). You will end up having to buy the app twice (one made for iPad, one made for iPhone) to have it in both places- bummer! Hope all this helps you guys. I know your suggestions are helping me already- thank you! Great post, Collin!!!!

• Krista says:

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have been looking for good apps for my two year old and this is exactly what I needed!!! I have no problem paying .99 for my sanity at the Dr’s office or the grocery store!

• tammy says:

My hubby is just finishing up an app I BEGGED him to make! It’s a coupon database app that will list only coupons found in the Sunday Papers.
    I am constantly searching online databases while at Rite Aid, Kroger etc. to see if there is a coupon available for an unadvertised sale or a clearance item. Even with 3G, this is still slow:(
    It doesn’t really matter if there is a printable coupon (especially for a clearance item) since the item will probably be gone if I don’t buy it right then…..so I really just want to know if I have an awesome coupon in my binder that I can pull out and cut :-)
    I’m excited since this will help to make my shopping trip faster and my coupon organization faster since I can continue to just save my inserts (I stack my inserts just like Collin showed in her video so I can cut many coupons at once).

• Cassidy says:

Hey everyone try the App Checkpoints!

Basically what you do is check in at stores and scan items! You get points for doing both and you can get gift cards! You can get Amazon, Itunes, Victoria’s Secret, Bath and Body works and MORE! Also if you download the app in the Android or Itunes App Store please use sign up code cassidy. You will get extra points just for using it! Thanks!

• Alma says:

Hi, Tammy!! I’ve been wishing for the same application! It will be great so that you can only scan through your ipod and then pull from your binder! Please, please, please! share asap when it’s ready! And tell your husband you’re not the only one looking for that application LOL!

• I just downloaded Shopper (.99) for iPhone this weekend. I’m still playing with it, but it’s pretty cool so far. You can make your list for multiple stores, track the prices and coupon. Once you’ve checked it off of your list, it goes into your “cart”. It’s a good way to stick to your budget while shopping. It also has a bar code scanner feature and much more. I believe there is also a free version available with less features.

• kim says:

I use Grocery IQ. It was a FREE app. You can create lists for multiple stores, and then view one master list while shopping. Each time you tick box the item it moves to the check out folder. Do a final check out and your shopping is done. Easy to use, and did I mention FREE!

• tbgwcmom says:

Thanks, Collin! I just got an iPhone this weekend and have been searching for apps!

• terrywilkinson says:

I love OurGroceries for Black Berry. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/7224?lang=en I make my lists as I think about it and then you just click a button to cross it off your list. I always have my phone with me so no more forgetting to take my shopping lists. Its also great as a reminder list in general. Plus you can email the shopping lists to other people!

• slimsmom says:

my bonus code is slimsmom

• [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eric Chase, GroceryGuru. GroceryGuru said: Guess who made the list!!! @groceryguruapp RT @Hip2Save Best Apps to Help YOU Save Money, Time, & More http://bit.ly/hM5gOs #h2s Thank u! [...]

• Sharin says:

If you have young kids learning the sounds of their letters get the free app Spalding Phonograms. It doesn’t have fancy graphics or games, but it is a great app for phonics flash cards for on the go or sitting in the doctor’s office.

• Debbie Mc. says:

For any of you that might be Kroger shoppers, there’s a Kroger app where you can view your digital coupons that are loaded onto your Kroger card, and you can even add them onto your card using the app. This is so much easier than printing the list out at home! I also use an app called Out Of Milk. It’s a list app that I use for my grocery list, as well as to do lists. Very simple and basic, but it gets the job done!

• Bev says:

Is there an app for swagbucks?

• Cara says:

The best app I’ve found for swagbucks is Search It All-Free. It runs off safari and I swear I get more frequent swagbucks than on my home computer, probably because my phone is so much more accessible to me :)

• Sara says:

Collin you are the best! You always have the best posts right when I need them! I just got an iphone and now I have a huge list of apps! :) Thank you!

• Sally Leigh says:

Gosh, I wish I could somehow make use of these kinds of apps! I’ve got an old-style flip cellphone, and I love the calendar, alarm, and calculator functions on it. I’ve always thought there must be a work-around to get something I can do some of the things you all are doing, but without a hefty monthly charge or super-expensive device. Is there something anyone has bought, that doesn’t need to be used as a phone, maybe an older item available through eBay that can run apps without a monthly charge? I know there are hot spots around town where you can link a laptop up to the internet for free, but I’d love something I could use that could fit in my purse and come with me when I’m shopping. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen something on clearance and thought, “I bet I’ve got there’s a coupon for this, if only I could connect to the internet and see if I’m right.” By the time I go back home and check and return, I’m too late — and all that extra gas! Who better to ask than all you ladies who know the best way to do things ‘on the cheap’!

• tammy says:

Sally – If you are just looking for an app that would tell you if there is a coupon in one of the inserts, I mentioned above that my husband is just finishing up an app that does that (he just submitted it last night so hopefully it gets approved!). This could be used on an i-pod touch(you might be able to find a used one so it’s not so expensive). The app only needs internet when you update it which would be once a week. So you could use it in the store and not need wi-fi!

• linda2010 says:

I got my son an Ipod Touch so that he would leave my Droid alone, lol. He doesn’t need the monthly fee on the Ipod Touch, just a Wifi connection. Good luck!

• Kim says:

My favorite App for my android is Garage Sale Rover. It maps out garages sales that are posted on Craigslists and the paid version allows you to map out your Saturday morning route. It uses GPS to track your location and you can see all of the surrounding garage sales on a map. When you click the sale, it will show you the picture of the house(awesome) and will also pull up the craigslist ad with details of the sale. It is the best app that I have on my phone.

• Kerri says:

Does anyone know of an app to store app suggestions? Honestly I have like 40+ that I want to review later, load when my kids are older, etc etc. Maybe on a todo app or something?

• Jenni says:

Just discovered AppShopper – it’s great! You can see top downloads by categories, save apps in your wish list, save apps you own. The app will even notify you when there’s an update or a price drop in the apps you’ve tagged. Syncs with an account at AppShopper at http://www.appshopper.com – which is great, because I’m usually online (like this thread!) when I hear about new apps I want to check out later. Love it!

• Pam says:

I love an app for android called “ourgroceries”. You make a grocery list and it automatically loads on to phones that you have linked via email address. Each person in your group can add items and if shopping together, you can see the items as they are crossed off. My daughter even uses it to find my son in the store, by seeing what he is crossing off. You can also put the items into categories. I went a step further by using alphabet letters in front of the catagories to put them in the order our grocery store has the items. I love it cause i can add an item from home right while they are shopping and the both get it immediately!

• Jenni says:

Just got an iPod touch and I’m looking for a good family manager app – calendar, to do lists, ability to attach photos (like a snapshot of a school flyer) to notes and to dos, journal… So many options out there! I would also like the option of entering/viewing information online, but since I’m not connected all the time with my touch, I need to have data available offline, too. I know – big requests here. Any suggestions?

• Abby says:

I love WeReward. It’s a free app and similar to CheckPoints. You do not have to scan items which can be time consuimg IMO when shopping with four kids along. You take a picture of certain stores or restaurants and sometimes your purchases at those locations. Then these “check-ins” convert to points and points to cash. You get a PayPal payout whenever you request it. I’ve made over $100 using it less than 5 months. For larger bonus points, you can complete certain tasks (like take a picture of yourself baking a specific mainsteram manufacturer’s cake).