Amazon: Roku Streaming Players $20 Off (+ Score Free $5 Instant Video Credit!)

Wow! If you are in the market for a Roku Player, now is a great time to snag one! Currently, you can save $20 on Select Roku Streaming Players AND Get a $5 Amazon Instant Video Promotional Credit! You can snag the Roku HD Streaming Player for just $39.99 (reg. $59.99!) – the prices go up from there. Seems like a fantastic deal for these popular gadgets!

Check out what reader, Suzy, stated about this device:
I got myself a Roku player last week and LOVE it. There is no point to cable anymore. I am shocked that you can plug it into almost any television and start streaming right away.

Product Features
600+ channels with movies, TV shows, music, sports & more
High-definition streaming up to 720p HD
Works with virtually any TV
Free app for iOS and Android
Built-in wireless (Wi-Fi b/g/n)

The newest family of Roku 2 streaming players offer 600+ channels of movies, TV shows, music, sports, and more. With high-definition streaming, you can easily bring Amazon Instant Video to your living room. For a limited time only, save $20 on select Roku streaming players and get a $5 Amazon Instant Video promotional credit with the Roku LT, Roku HD, Roku XD, and Roku XS. $20 savings valid until 11/26/2012 at 11:59 PM PST. See Amazon Instant Video promotional credit terms and conditions.

(Thanks, Suzy & Real Housewives Clip Coupons!)

• Doreen says:

We love roku! No more big cable bills!

• Ashley57 says:

We love ours too! We use Amazon Instant Video on our TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc. We also get free stuff like Crackle, which had older movies on it.

• Abby says:

I sometimes miss a few cable networks like TLC, HGTV and Bravo. None of those networks put a ton of their content online. (I do not, however, miss them enough to pay for cable.) I subscribe to Netflix and Hulu+ and have a digital antenna for local channels. I have been happy with that set up for nearly two years. If you watch a lot of live sports though you may miss those without cable.

• Lisa says:

I’m really considering canceling cable and going to hulu+. Just nervous!! LOL Do you miss any channels by not having “cable”

• Fay says:

We have never had cable but when we visit my parents, they have too many channels and it is just a headache. We do have Roku, Netflix and get the Basic Channels through our Rabbit ears antennas.

• Jennifer says:

We got our Roku over a year ago and cancelled our satellite service. It’s the best decision we have made! It was a minor adjustment not having ALL the shows we used to watch, but there is plenty there to keep us entertained.

• SD says:

There aren’t many shows from CBS available to stream. And there is no way to watch local news- those are the only negatives in my opinion.

• Holly says:

@SD – you hit the nail on the head for us. We love our Roku, but we keep the most basic and cheap cable package ($12/month) to have the local news. It also provides us with the “On Demand” service. But, even with the price of the cheap cable, Netflix and Hulu Plus, it is still WAY less then we were paying for cable before.

• SoxGirl1029 says:

I believe that the PlayOn app has some CBS shows. I just wasn’t too fond of having to leave the computer on when you’re using the app. We ended up keeping the cheapest cable too. We also got an Ooma for our phone and that’s only like $4 a month. I don’t miss the big cable package bill at all!! They sent me a card the other day offering me a package for $150 a month and I laughed :)

• anne says:

can someone tell me how this works. sooo interested.

• Suzy says:

You just need a TV (even an old one with the red, white and yellow connections) and wireless internet. Takes 4 steps to set up. You can see all your Amazon video library on it, play “Crackle” which has pretty decent stuff but ads and watch anything on Netflix. Plus there is plenty of other freebie content. No more watching stuff on your computer instead of your TV.

• anonymous says:

we do have a digital antenna. doe s this roku work like it?

• Lauren says:

It’s a streaming player. You can stream channels like Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon Instant Video. It streams over your wifi connection. There are also lots of free channels and news shows, but the news is not live. I absolutely live mine. I never watch tv shows when they air anymore. Catch everything on Hulu+ when I have time to watch. I spend $16 a month on Netflix and Hulu+ and have plenty to watch.

• Kristin says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. You can get Amazon prime videos, rent movies, buy movies (no more discs to mess with) Netflix, Huluplus. We don’t use cable anymore. There are so many movie channels, news channels, sports, you name it. I even have a yoga channel I can watch for workouts.

• Terika says:

I am interested in buying a Roku box. But could anyone tell me the Spanish language channels that are available???? I want to get rid of cable but we need the Spanish channels too!!!

• Holly says:

We LOVE our Roku. You literally just plug it in, it finds your WiFi and you register. Done. I use it everyday – we have it in the bedroom. Once we got it we did away with cable and only have the super basic $12/month service now. We use our Roku for Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime Videos!!

• Stacy says:

We get free cable (YAY husband who works for the cable company) so we won’t be giving that up but I still bought three of these for gifts this year (my Dad, Father in law, and the hubby). I love that you can stream free movies with our Amazon Prime membership and that we can bring it to any tv easily. I think I’m going to get the MLB subscription to go with my husbands too.

• Becky says:

So if you have a Wii or Blu-Ray player that streams videos, is a Roku necessary? Just curious about the advantages and how it works…

• melissa says:

i have a question, we dont have cable period. so if i get this then how does it stream if you dont have a tv service provider? and does it get a&e and mtv?

• Fay says:

it streams throgh the internet. you need a fast connection to get the full benefit, which would mean a really fast router. We stream TED videos on it and also Netflix.

• Kristin says:

It plays through your wireless internet, so easy to set up. You don’t have any monthy fees for the player itself, just any channels you buy, or movies you rent/purchase. I have bought one movie since getting this about a year ago, and rented about 3. Between Netflix and Amazon prime videos included in our prime membership, we get all the kids’ shows, and Huluplus gets us all of our favorite television shows. So between those two channels, about $14 a month.

• Barb E says:

Do you need to get one for each tv?

• Trace says:

I found this blog to be very helpful (see part I & II) in understanding what ALL is needed to cut my cable (ROKU is discussed): http://www.tvasylum.com/2012/02/16/cancel-cable-and-still-watch-it-all-part-1

• Kim says:

Question… I use satellite now to get local programming. Would I get the local programming on the Roku? I still like to watch our local news and prime time programming. Thanks!

• Freida says:

Which one to get? Does the highest priced one really makes that much difference?

Thanks!

• nelly says:

Sorry for my ignorance but, you are not paying for cable, but you still have to pay for netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime memberships, no? so where are the savings?

• Sara says:

You choose the sites that meat your needs. Such as if you like network TV programs, Hulu is for you. If you like movies, Amazon prime and Netflix may be for you. All have free trials you can use to decide what you like best.

• Aubri says:

Also, you can watch what you want when you want at a fraction of the price. My son can come home from school and get his homework done , then go watch mythbusters or a discover program, not surf thru the channels looking for something that happens to be on (usually mindless cartoons) to watch. If you add it up, you will still be saving money, 9.99 for netfix, 6.58 a mth for amazon prime = 16.57, even if you throw hulu plus in thats still under $30 a month for more content that you could ever hope to watch !!

• Jennifer says:

We get Netflix for $8 and Hulu for $8, so our entire bill is $16 a month….a TON less than satellite!

• swirlypop says:

Thanks to all for explanations on how this works. My Mom is getting my husband netflix and I thought this would be a great addition to that. Sounds easy enough. Thanks again……I was clueless…

• C. says:

We love our Roku! We cancelled our cable and just have our Roku that streams things like Netflix, Hulu, Crackle etc. It has saved us so much money! I can say that some days I miss the cable, but most days I am just so thankful to have the extra money instead, which helps me be able to stay home with our boys :)

• smashy says:

So we have Netflix but either watch it on our computer or have to move the xbox or wii around to watch it on the tv’s. With Roku, I can just have this hooked up to the tv and it will stream netflix? If so, this could be a great gift for my hubby who is impossible to buy for. Thanks in advance!

• swirlypop says:

Maybe someone can confirm but I think the answer is yes. I bought it because my husband is getting netflix for christmas and will have to use playstation otherwise. And my hubby is also impossible to buy for!

• MommySpendsLess says:

Yes, that’s right. We have cable and Netflix but my daughter’s TV isn’t hooked up with cable. We put a Roku in her bedroom and we can stream Netflix through that. We have one Netflix account on the most basic setting and we use it on our Wii, XBox, iPads, Roku, etc.

• Suzy says:

Yes, smashy. You will no longer need to move your wii or xbox around to watch it on the TV. You can stream Netflix just like you would on the computer but a much bigger screen. :D I got it because I was tired of having to share the computer’s small screen with my boyfriend to watch something. So much better. I would absolutely get it. Keep in mind that YOU WILL NEED TO BUY THE HD CABLE unless you have an extra one in the house. It does not come with one!

• Aubri says:

We Love our Roku, we have been free of the cable/satellite monster for more that a year now and I wouldnt go back. We use netfix and amazon the most. They just added the vudu channel too, which is a nice alterantive to redbox etc. when you dont feel like going out/or have seen everything available, vudu sometimes has stuff before redbox and it only runs about $4 sd to rent a movie! Dont forget about the angry birds! The xs model comes with game!

• Heather says:

My mom has one and we love it. She is always watching stuff on it and my kids (8 and 5) can just scroll through and pick out what they want to watch (supervised of course). ;-)

• Karin says:

Sorry for the dumb question, but I have no idea about how Roku system works. We have Netflix & cable. Can we still watch the TV shows(like NickJr, DisneyJr, BRAVO, AMC, TLC, E, History, Discovery channel etc) with Roku? And all we need is about $14/month? TIA! :)

• Renee says:

I kind of tackled this in my post below-no, you would not get anything from these channels that is current. Older seasons/episodes of some yes. No Bravo, TLC, E, AMC though. Some History-Pawn Stars, American Pickers-but again older episodes.

• Heather says:

You would still be able to watch your current cable tv channels and when you want to watch something from Roku, you would simply change your tv setting just like you do when you are going to watch a dvd in your dvd player. You would be able to watch your things from Netflix without having to get on the computer and order movies and wait for them to come and sending them back. It’s pretty awesome.

• Renee says:

Heather, she is asking if she can watch these channels and only pay $14- IE-get rid of cable. The answer is NO. She would have to KEEP cable to watch these channels but could stream Netflix. So the additional cost upfront of the Roku is to be considered.

• We got a Roku when we ditched cable, and we LOVE it! For HULU Plus, mostly, but great for Amazon movies, too. Sadly, we had to go back to cable for football season…I am really hoping there is one day a subscription for football channels through Roku…but we still use the heck out of it!

• Renee says:

As a Roku user-we have 2-for the past 14 months, here are my thoughts for people who have cable and are thinking about ditching it to get this:
    1) It will cost you $16/month for Netflix and Huluplus streaming and when we gave up cable/dvr/tivo, we gave up rewinding/pausing live tv and the ability to record live tv.
    2) If you like to watch Food Network, Bravo, HGTV, DIY, ESPN, NFL,TBS,TNT,E- then you are out of luck because there are no agreements between Hulu and these networks. No Monday Night Football or Thursday night game either.
    3) No current episodes or original shows from FX, TLC, Nick, Disney or Hub. Only older seasons of some of their current shows-no Justified!
    4)You can purchase new episodes of tv shows from Vudu or Amazon but they start at $1.99 each.
    5) While Huluplus has many current tv shows, they are mostly from the “free” channels-NBC,ABC,Fox and CW with Comedy Central being a paid channel exception. No shows from CBS and not all Fox or ABC shows either- no Simpsons or Happy Ending.
    Not trying to sound like Debbie Downer but wanted to give an honest review. Do I miss cable? You bet! But the $60/month we are saving by not having it sure helps out. Roku has some nice features as well-hardly any commercials! on Hulu and the NBC news channel is on at my house every day!!!

• Jan says:

Thanks for the review. Those are some of my favorite channels and I’d miss them. Plus no Nascar? Hmm… We already stream Netflix through our Wii but we’re not that impressed with the options available or the picture quality.

• Karin says:

Thank you so much Renee for your detailed review!! Me & my hubby can’t live without Food Network or Monday Night Football & other channels we have now, so I have to keep our cable & Netflix for now.

• Jennifer R says:

I was just telling my husband that I do kind of miss my American Horror Story, Mythbusters and Pit Bulls and Parolees but I can’t justify the $60/month just for these shows.

• Deeanna says:

We also love our Roku! Our five year old even knows how to work it. She knows which shows she is allowed to watch. We use ours for Netflix.

• Rosa says:

What should I get: the most expensive version? Just wondering what the big difference is between the one for 80 and the one for 60 bucks… thanks!

• Holly G. says:

We have had our roku for about 2 years now. We splurged and got the one with the angry birds and the usb port on it. We use it mainly for hulu plus and netflix viewing. Both my husband and I were hardly ever home and only watch maybe a total of 1 1/2- 2 hours of tv a day or sometimes none at all. But I love the pandora station to listen to tunes and we have a lot of movies saved on our external hard drive which, thanks to my techie hubs and the use of some of the included software(i.e. channels) we can stream thru our wifi connection to the roku. The details for me are a foreign language but it is possible. It is soooo…nice not to have a giant cable bill anymore :) Overall GREAT product for us.

• Kimberly Harris says:

Well I guess I jumped in with both feet. I have never heard of the Roku but excited about the purchase. Thanks for posting.

• Renee says:

If you want to ditch cable but you or spouse is a big sports fan-Roku won’t work. No Espn or NFL channel. We live in Ohio and couldn’t watch Ohio State every Saturday because only 2 or 3 games are on regular tv.

• Kristen says:

Just ordered one! Thanks Collin & Hip2Save. Such a great deal!

• mamasweetpea says:

we get satellite because we live on a mountain where regular antennas can’t get reception. we want to be able to get local news channels… will Roku be a good option?

• Ashley says:

I love the ease and speed of Roku over the Wii. One thing worth noting is that playon.tv offers a free Roku with purchase of playon lifetime membership ($59.99). Though the files/streaming process is set up a little different, playon is very similar to Hulu plus.

• Ashley57 says:

Here is a cheap HMDI cable if you need one for this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My husband figures you can buy 4 or 5 of these before you can buy one at Best Buy, so why not?

• Sarah says:

Hi, I have read all of the comments but am still not sure I understand. We haven’t had cable now for close to a year. We have a Wii in the Living Room that streams Netflix, and a PS3 in the kids’ playroom also with Netflix. I see people are using the Roku to stream this as well. I have been on Hulu on the computer to watch episodes and have thought about getting Hulu+, but do I need a Roku or can I just do all of that on the Wii? With what I have, will I get more current episodes of shows (prefer ABC family) or pretty much the same as I can get through the Wii?

• Lauren says:

You would get the same shows on Hulu+ as you do on the Wii. Roku’s biggest benefit is that it has way more channels available to stream than their competitors.

• Kristen says:

Just bought one for my parents for Christmas. I didn’t see the $5 credit to Amazon video come up, although it said it on the description of the one I purchased. Will they email me a code or should I contact them? TIA for your help! : )

• shanshan says:

We have the XS for 3 months now and love it. Now I just purchased the XD for TV upstairs. Such a great deal! We use our Roku to watch programming from Asia (subscription extra) so my kids can learn Chinese watching cartoon. It’s been working well so far. I bought from BestBuy so to get membership reward, plus cashback from ShopAtHome.

• kylie says:

Speaking of Roku players.. I found this to be a good read as well as informative: http://www.real.com/resources/digital-video-player We cancelled our cable subscription over a year ago..!! I was nervous at first too but it’s so easy nowadays with so many options available and we’ve ended up saving a ton of money.