Hip2Save This Holiday: Candy Cane Cocktails

Hip2Save This Holiday Guest Post Submitted By Reader Tera…

Candy canes will be hitting rock-bottom prices in the next few weeks.  Follow this recipe to whip up a festive treat using all those inexpensive or even FREE candy canes.  These shakes are so delicious, and can be made either with or without alcohol.  To make it extra special, rim the glass with crushed candy canes!

Candy Cane Cocktails:

To rim your glass, first dip the rim in water, then in crushed candy canes.

In a blender, mix together:

*2 c. vanilla ice cream
*1oz (2 Tbsp) Peppermint Schnapps
*1oz (2 Tbsp) Creme de Cacao
*1/3 c. milk (or more if you want it thinner)
*2 to 3 mini candy canes (or one regular size), broken into smaller pieces

To make Candy Cane Milkshakes (non-alcoholic), substitute 1/4 c. milk for the Schnapps and Creme de Cacao and add 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract. Each recipe makes 2 servings.

That’s it! So easy, right? And so yummy! As you can see, we enjoyed these milkshakes the other day while decorating our Christmas tree :)

For more information on my Hip2Save This Holiday series and to learn how you can participate in the fun, click here!

• niki says:

Looks wonderful, thank you! Time to pop out the margaritaville maker!

• Brianne says:

i bet you could sneak in a banana and it would still be d-lish!

• Jenny S. says:

Yum! :)

• Destinee says:

Oh man…looks so yummy! Too bad im preggo with gestational diabetes! Definitely trying this next year!!!

• irene says:

Mmmm… looking out for those candy cane freebies! Last year, I sprinkled some in and on chocolate chip cookies (mint chocolate chip!) and got rave reviews!

• Allison T says:

So I saw cocktails then I saw two kids drinking! Lol I read it though and see they are actually milkshakes but it was hilarious!!

• Jennifer says:

Yum. I also make my own peppermint bark w the cheap candy canes

• rebeccajland says:

Unrelated comment, but I wanted to remind everyone about Crowdtap. If you haven’t signed up click here to do so: http://bit.ly/Z1Za5l

Currently they are running a ‘sample and share’ for the new Healthy Choice Baked Entrées (you get a coupon for you and your friends!). I found the frozen Entrees at WalMart on sale for $2.25, so only $1.25 after the coupon I printed! I purchased the Baked Ziti and Lasagna varieties and they are REALLY good and great quality :) Might be worth a shot if you are looking for new, healthy lunches!

• rebeccajland says:

PS if you want your shake to be thick, skip the milk :) I work at a burger joint and we make shakes of every flavor like this- of course peppermint is currently our big seller with the Christmas season just around the corner :)

• Danielle says:

yum!! I made peppermint fudge the other day, does anyone have an easy way to SMASH those candy canes!? :)

• cher says:

This does look delicious and I believe I can make this low sugar and hopefully somewhat low fat with just a bit of doctoring of the recipe but great ideas always help. (Also going to try peppermint bark recipe.) It is difficult but not impossible to find sugar free candy canes (always more expensive though-so hard on the pocketbook to have sp dietary needs sometimes). So ready for the candy cane search now :)

• Chryssa says:

Another good use is candy cane whip cream! Just crush 5-6 candy canes in the blender to a fine powder. Then make whipping cream and fold the candy cane into it with a drop or two of pink food coloring. Great in hot chocolate!

• nicole says:

yummy thanks for the recipe

• Niki says:

Looks like a good recipe. I got a laugh out of the kids drinking the shakes, which I’m sure are made without alcohol, but they’re right under the alcoholic recipe.

• shannon says:

Love this and making it. Is there a simple way to click and print this so the recipe is condensed? Thanks.