Happy Friday: Birthday Coupons to Make Memories

Sent from Susan over at The Royal Cook:

For my kids birthdays I sometimes give them a stack of coupons instead of a bunch of “gifts”. They get coupons for dates with Mom or Dad, other outings, and special privileges. They love that they get their very own coupons and that they get special one on one time with Mom and Dad. It’s also fun for them to spread out their birthday fun for longer than just one day. I love it because we are making memories together instead of just giving “stuff”.

HAPPY FRIDAY! :D

Do you have a funny, “Hip”, or unique photo to share?! Email us at happyfriday@hip2save(dot)com. Every Friday, I will post one photo, submitted by you and/or another Hip2Save reader, that gives us a glimpse into your frugal lifestyle or simply makes us smile. If your photo is published on Hip2Save, we’ll email you a $10 Amazon e-card!

** Check out all of the previous Happy Friday pictures here.

• cindy says:

That’s great. What a good idea.

• Michelle M says:

This is awesome! I love it! I’ve heard of doing coupons for a spouse, but not for kids. My kids would be thrilled to get these!

• virginia says:

I love this idea – thanks for sharing!

• Ashley57 says:

Love this!

• Jean says:

That is so sweet.

• Ketsy says:

This is a great idea for later on. Perhaps a good tradition to start this year :D

• Barbara says:

Fantastic idea!

• Nika says:

Love it!

• Lucky says:

Aww so sweet !!!

• Kathie M says:

DD would love this! Can’t wait to try it, thanks for the great idea.

• Jenny says:

I always look forward to happy Friday postings but this had to be my all time favorite. My daughter just turned six in January, right after Christmas and I feel like she receives so much for Christmas but I don’t want her to feel like her birthday doesn’t matter. I will definitely be using this idea for her 7th birthday. I think it’s will be
    extra special as she is my couponing partner. She once told my mom ” nanny your not a smart shopper like my mom because you don’t use coupons”. Thanks Susan for sharing your awesome idea

• Tonya says:

Great idea! I know I would have loved that when I was younger!

• SK says:

love the idea, my little ones are really young, good to use this tradition, specially since we are non believer in toys.

• lj says:

That last sentence says it all! Building memories with our family is what will outlast any “stuff” we accumulate. You must be a great mom, you’ve figured out what matters most. After all, the only thing you can take to Heaven with you is your kids, family, and friends. :) So invest in their lives.

• Allison says:

I love this idea!!! I am not a big fan of “toys” and “stuff”, unfortunately my kids destroy their toys. I think they would appreciate this kind of gift much better :) Thank you so much for sharing!

• Em says:

We do this! They have coupons for date with mom, date with dad, date with mom & dad, a couple for Lego sets, a day at a museum in whichever exhibit they want, a day with control of the remote, a day where they get to spend as much time as theyd like in the library (they would spend all day there everyday if allowed, woot!) and a movie of their choice both in theater and rented.

They also get to pick what language they want to learn that year after age 3 (first three years are Spanish, ASL and English), though my 4 year old usually just learns along with his sister as she goes so they can converse together in whichever language they see fit that day. Today it was Arabic, except my 4 year old is only about half way there so he mixed it with Spanish. Quite the odd looks from the folks at the grocery store. Love it.

• Sara says:

Em – That is so fantastic! My hubby’s learning Spanish right now before we have kiddos because I want them to be bilingual and I also would LOVE to share with them some of the other languages I speak, but wasn’t sure how that would go. You make it sound feasible which give me great hope!

• Luz says:

How many languages do you speak? How do you teach them the language? We speak spanish at home. So my 3 years old now Spanish And English. I would like ideas…..Thanks

• Em says:

I fluently speak 8 for now, though I can’t read or write 2 of them very well (Chinese, Korean). My husband is completely fluent in 7. Once my oldest tells me a language she wants to learn I start getting things like Rosetta Stone, various books in that language (books she has in a language she knows as well for comparison), DVDs in that language with subtitles in a language she’s fluent in, etc.

You’ll have to adapt to your child’s attention/maturity level. Rosetta Stone is pretty boring, but my kids are extremely focused and mature. I’m not saying that to brag, just a heads up before you spend a chunk of change and realize it’s not for every kid. The most important thing you can do is speak to your child constantly in whatever language you’re teaching them. I didn’t speak to my children in English hardly at all the first 3 years of their life. I’ve said maybe 10 words in English to my baby. They hear enough of it in public to be fluent enough to function for their early life.

It’s fun knowing your kids are ahead of the curve, I highly suggest that Spanish be the first language you teach, by 2050 we will be the country with the most Spanish speakers. German, Chinese and Arabic are 3 other strong languages.

• Luz says:

Thanks for the ideas. I will be looking for rosetta stobe in french at the library. When she was a baby she want to watch the same baby einstein,movie so I put it in Spanish, then English And ib French… I will try that one know. My email is luzselenia@gmail.com if you have more ideas Im open. Thanks alot

• Natalie says:

We did this for my daughters birthday last year… 6 dates with mom & 6 dates with dad alternating every month. She LOVED it! She actually requested it again this year instead of presents which just goes to show how much she enjoyed it. As a bonus, our other daughter gets some special time with the other parent while the older one is on her date.

• susaie says:

Nice Idea, but nothing can replace the memory of getting that new bike on your birthday.

• Hannah says:

Interesting. So, you don’t do any gifts on your kids’ birthdays except the coupons? And they’re happy w/ that? I noticed that some of the coupons are for presents–so you do actually give them some physical gifts/toys?