Happy Friday: Creative Snack Organizer for Road Trips

Sent from reader, Jill:

We recently were facing a 10 hour car ride with 2 small children which can be challenging….so, I wanted to share an idea that really made the trip much easier for everyone! It worked like a charm and was very inexpensive to make!

For each child, I took a plastic divided craft organizer and filled each section with a different snack or treat from my stash! Throughout the trip, as needed, they could choose something from their box. This really encouraged good behavior, and, they loved to look at the box to decide what to choose next so it was a great distraction during the long trip! To keep it interesting, I took along some different snacks and re-filled some of the sections for the return trip!

The box/organizers can be found at craft stores and can be purchased using the 40% off coupon in their weekly circular. And, I was able to fill the boxes with things that I had on hand as a result of deals that you have posted (cereal, small cookies, craisins, pretzels, goldfish, candy, etc). Because of the size of each section, my children ended up eating less than they would have otherwise…..and, had a lot more fun in the process! You could also take along stickers and let them decorate and personalize their box which would be a great car activity as well. Safe Travels!!

HAPPY FRIDAY! :D

Do you have a funny, “Hip”, or unique photo to share?! Email us at happyfriday@hip2save(dot)com. Every Friday, I will post one photo, submitted by you and/or another Hip2Save reader, that gives us a glimpse into your frugal lifestyle or simply makes us smile. If your photo is published on Hip2Save, we’ll email you a $10 Amazon e-card!

** Check out all of the previous Happy Friday pictures here.

• cannielle says:

I do this with my 1 year old too.My box only has 4 selection, so i fill them with halved pre shelled edammame, baked apple, animal cracker and raisins.she loved it!

• miranda47898 says:

Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

• kristospherein says:

Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

• Amy says:

great idea thanks!

• brandice says:

Awesome idea….be careful with the chocolate!!! Messy in this heat right about now

• Melissa says:

great idea!

• Christy says:

Thanks for sharing, I have two girls that would love this.

• Sarah Johnson says:

I have a code for $20. Off of $20 on shutterfly. It expires tonight 6/28 and i thought i would use it but i am not. The first person to give their email can have the code. Thanks!

• Summer says:

great idea, but I could see a giant mess on the floor of the car when that box spills.

• Sasha says:

It reminds me of an adult version—the Whitman Sampler!
    So many choices….LOL!

• msrossdaboss says:

hey ladies, you can save ur old egg cartons and let the kids decorate prior to the trip.

• Cristal says:

Ooo good thinking, we just let my daughter decorate her new “leap pad case”, actually a white bubble envelope it fits perfect in and she loved customising it!

• bunny says:

Great idea. I would probably fill it with more healthy choices and less sugar. But definitely stuff that would still appeal to the little ones!

American kids in general eat way too much sugar in their diets. ;-)

• MommySpendsLess says:

I’m thinking, especially since she said it encouraged good behavior, that this was a special occasion selection of treats and not the regular basis of her kids’ diet.

I ate healthy foods as a child (no sugary cereals, no soda, whole wheat bread – more uncommon in the 80s-90s – homemade balanced dinners every night, etc.) but on Christmas and Easter we could have a couple of pieces of candy from our stocking/basket before breakfast, a rare treat that made the day a little more special. If junk food and a few new toys/coloring books keeps the family happy on a long trip I’m all for it :)

• Mary says:

Using one of those organizers would also be a good way to divide up the Halloween or Easter candy for portion control and rewards.

• susan baker says:

Thanks for sharing…let me tell you how I entertain on long trips also. Any time we get a kids meal when we are eating out, I save the toy that comes in it and hide it. Then when we get on the road I pull them out of a bag a little bit at a time, The kids think they are new toys and love them. If they get lost on the trip its no big deal either.

• Em says:

My kids LOVE hummus- I make it myself in all different flavors. I do this with different flavors in some of the compartments and bits of bell pepper, carrots, etc in the others! I don’t really like to eat stuff from plastic but this works better than glass containers for the car trips. My kids eat very little sugar- we’re near raw vegans- but I drop one treat in one of the compartments as a special reward for being good kids on the car ride :)