Happy Friday: Homemade Spelling/Study Cards

Sent from reader, Crystal:

My daughter is in the second grade and has a spelling test every week. She often gets bored with just reading the words and writing them out over and over. So I came up with a frugal and fun way to study and to help her learn her spelling words for the week.

I used a DiGiorno pizza box (that I got with a B2G1 free printable) and cut it up into flashcards. Then we took a stash of my free magazines (thanks to Hip2Save) and cut out letters from various pages and created our cards by just gluing the letters to our cardboard cut out cards. We had fun doing this together and my daughter picked up her words pretty fast!

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Do you have a funny, “Hip”, or unique photo to share?! Email us at happyfriday@hip2save(dot)com. Every Friday, I will post one photo, submitted by you and/or another Hip2Save reader, that gives us a glimpse into your frugal lifestyle or simply makes us smile. If your photo is published on Hip2Save, we’ll email you a $10 Amazon e-card!

• Barnacle says:

What a fun idea!!!

• Ann Dee says:

Great idea. I totally have to do this with my crafty second grader. Thanks!

• J says:

What a great idea! I’ll have to save this idea for when my daughter begins school in the fall.

• rensee says:

Awesome idea will Def using this creative idea my 1st grader gets spelling test every week as well

• Crystal W. says:

:) I just showed my daughter and she is so excited to see her cards on the internet LOL!! We had so much fun doing this! Thanks for posting Collin!

• hajra says:

Great idea will def try this with my daughter I am sure she will love it.Thanks Collin & Crystal.

• Maggie says:

My son is in a gifted program and his teacher also looks for creative ways to work on spelling. A few other ideas include: student creates word search using spelling words (they write it once in the puzzle and once on the side for the person searching) you make a crossword puzzle with definitions and they fill it out, writing
    them on personal white-boards or even writing them in fun colored pencils/markers. Hope this helps!!,

• Audrey says:

My son’s school doesn’t do spelling words. So I make up my own for him! Your idea will make a nice addition to our home schooling!

• Tilla Ham says:

our school district stopped about 4 years ago too saying that spelling isn’t’ part of the curriculum but it’s optional if teachers have time….are you kidding me??? Luckily I was able to put my youngest in private school. They did away with any extra programs as well such as reading counts or accelerated math…it’s sad what we are going towards in regards to education in this country.

• Kayden says:

I absolutely love this idea. I have to tutor elementary school students for one of my classes and I am definitely going to use this idea. I think they will love it.

• Lori Stevens says:

What an incredible mom! Thanks for sharing your wonderful idea!

• April says:

Love this. I’m gonna do site words for my preschooler! Thanks!

• DC says:

This is such a fun idea!! Thanks!

• Tilla Ham says:

this is a great idea! good job mom! I also loved the scrabble tile post I saw on here awhile back…scrabble games are so inexpensive it would be easy to pick up a few at good will for extra letters.

for those with any kid struggling…what worked for me is SAY IT, SPELL IT, SAY IT … say it out loud, spell it out loud, write it down, and then say it. I used this with all 4 kiddos and for 3 of them (and myself) it seemed to be pretty fail safe. With one of them she said her brain hurt and she had to do it her own way :)

• Nicole says:

Vocabulary is so important, but having involved parents is even more important! Good job, Crystal!!!

• Michelle735 says:

My daughter is in 4th grade and I downloaded the spelling monsters app on her Kindle the beginning of the school year. She loves it! I just put in her new words the beginning of each week.

• mrsgarfield says:

For those of you that have Leap Pads, there is a feature under parent controls (I believe) on the computer to set up your own spelling words. All you have to do is sync the Leap Pad and these particular words should appear in the games.

Also, what I have found out from experience (English is a second language for me) is that writing the words helps a lot with spelling. I am having my second grader write her words 2-3 times each evening and she agrees that this helps her a lot.

But remember, each child is different and has different ways of learning and you have to find what works best for them.

• Karen says:

Like it! Consider it flattery that I’ll be using this idea.