Great Ideas Series (Re-Purposing and Re-Using Everyday Items): In the Kitchen

8 Great Ideas In the Kitchen by Hip2Save.com

Are you a fan of repurposing, reusing, and recycling everyday items around your home (or maybe you are looking for some inspiration to do just that)? Well, here’s my very first post in a new Hip2Save series highlighting some creative ideas that’ll have you saying, “Why didn’t I think of that?”  Today’s theme is all about repurposing items in the kitchen.

White Platter to Menu Chalkboard

If you’ve been following my posts for the last few months, you may see a re-occurring theme of chalkboards (check out the posts here and here to see what I mean!). Yes, I’m obsessed and it’s become my signature. :) This white platter pictured above is a thrift store find and all I did was tape off the sides and use two coats of chalkboard spray paint. It’s supported by a cute plate stand – I use it as a menu board or as part of my holiday décor (Note that I like to use Chalkboard Markers versus plain chalk when I add notes). It would also make an easy and cute wedding or house warming gift too.

Kitchen Pegboard Organization Hip2Save,jpg
Who says a pegboard is only for garage tools and supplies? Bring it indoors and use it for kitchen tool organizing if you’re short on cabinet space. We scored this piece at the hardware store for FREE. Yep, I saw it in the scrap wood pile by the DIY wood cutting area and just asked if we could have it. And they said yes! All I did was paint it and then hung it up.

Re-Purpose Pant Hangers as a chip clip or cookbook holders Hip2Save
Who else has lots of these plastic pant hangers? They make excellent chip clips and also serve as a perfect tool to hang a cookbook at eye level.

CD holder organizes storage container lids Hip2Save
A CD holder makes an excellent storage container lid organizer. Now your lids won’t be floating all over the place!

File holders organize foil and plastic wrap
How about repurposing an office file holder to organize those long, awkward shaped foil, wax paper, and plastic wrap boxes?!

organize baking sheets and cutting boards with file holders

An office file stand can make a great organizer for cookie sheets and cutting boards.

towel rack organizes pot lids Hip2Save

And finally, install a towel rack inside or next to a cabinet or large drawer to organize pot and pan lids.

Now it’s your turn. How do you repurpose everyday items in the kitchen? I’d love to hear your tips!

Great Idea Series
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 small kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime!

• deborah says:

love the foil ,storage bag holder idea

• miller says:

A towel rack for lids…great idea! Thank you!

• Marjorie says:

I really enjoy these posts.
    Now if I could just get the ambition to actually do any ;)

• Jean R says:

Love these postings! Please keep them up. Thanks for all you do, Colin!

• jennifer says:

In a pinch use crumpled up foil as a pot scrubber or to clean the grill. Works like a charm then you can just throw it away. Also you can use the mesh that onions come in as a pot scrubber for free!

• visitor3 says:

Those mesh bags are also great for containing little items in the dishwasher. I especially loved using them for breast pump parts because then when the dishwasher was done running, I tossed the entire bag of parts into the breast pump tote bag, never worrying that I was missing some crucial piece. (Also used the mesh bags when rinsing hand-washed parts @ work, so there was no fear of clean parts falling into or down the sink.) Great for sipply cup pieces also. The mesh has much tinier holes than those baskets plus they can squeeze in anywhere on the top rack. Also useful for corraling tub toys.

• jennifer says:

If you fry things like french fries, bacon, or chicken( Yes this is bad and I am trying to do it less ). Instead of using paper towels to soak up oil try laying the food on day old bread and save your paper towels.

• Chelsea T says:

An old dish rack to organize container lids and containers is another great idea. Any lidless containers can be used to group your spices.

• Erin says:

I made my own “canisters” for my pantry by covering oatmeal containers in adhesive shelf liner and made labels from chalkboard adhesive shelf liner. I also use an old dish drainer and file folders to sort our incoming mail so it stays off the counter.

• Katie says:

Love it!! I’m excited to see more in the future. I’ve actually been trying to figure out how to get my fruits and veggies off of my counters and table. I’ve been toying with the idea of hanging baskets (big enough to hold a fair amount–5lbs or more if I can manage it) on the wall somehow. (I’ve used those baskets that hang from the ceiling before, but I don’t like them.) I think I may try hanging up some peg boards on the unused wall space on either side of my kitchen window, and hanging some baskets from that. Don’t know if I am making sense, but if anyone else has ideas I’d love to hear. I have about three feet of space on one side of my window, and about a foot of usable space on the other side. :)

• Jennifer B. says:

I like to use the containers that some produce (like mushrooms) comes in to store and organize the packets of dry gravy, au jus, or other mixes. I use a separate one for the drink mixes (like Kool Aid) that come in envelopes. I use another to keep my extra condiment single-serve packs in (like extra Taco Bell sauce packets).

It is easy to pull the whole container down and see exactly what I’m looking for, so these can be stored up on the higher shelves. Best of all, the containers are free!

• shawynabelle says:

we use dollar shoe totes in the freezer to organize meat and veggies and keep everything where you can see what you have.

• mel says:

One of my file boxes came with a boxed letter holder. I took some plastic baby food containers (Gerber) and trimmed off the overhang of the container and put them in the letter holder (2 for each side) I organized my makeup brushes, eye shadow sticks, eyeliners, mascara, and BB creams within the 4 cups. Now I have all my every day makeup at my fingertip instead of rummaging through my makeup drawer!!

Here’s a tip for all those plastic store bags that are invading your pantry!! I took a 1 Gallon plastic ice cream container and cut a hole in the top (about 2×4). Then I smooshed as many bags as I could inside the container and put the top on. Now I can grab a bag or smoosh another on inside and I don’t have bags all over the place!

• Amanda M. says:

OMG! I love love love this! THANK YOU!

• B says:

I saved some Classico pasta sauce jars and use them to store rice, grains, nuts etc. Love being able to see how much of something I have left, and I don’t like storing things in opened boxes. I was thinking of buying Ball jars (and then the plastic lids too) but then realized these work great, and love reuse, repurpose, recycle….. and keep the jars out of recycling.

• Vickie says:

Can you get the liquid chalk markers at Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics? I’m obsessed with chalkboards too!

• Mona says:

Great ideas. Just when I thought I knew it all — shot down again and thanks for all the tips.

• Diane says:

Do the liquid chalk markers wipe off easily and completely?

• Kim says:

Lina, I love your posts! Do you have a blog? I’d love to read more!

• ginny says:

Empty kleenex boxes hold a lot of those grocery bags, too, and the open slot on the top makes it easy to pull them out.

• Sheila says:

♥ the chalkboard Collin, but if I gave my family a heads up about Kale and asparagus it would not go over very well LOL

• Bunny says:

Julia Child used peg boards to display all her pots and pans. There is an exhibit at the Smithsonian if you happen to be going to DC.

You know those plastic bags that your newspapers come in? My neighbors give me their extra bags and we use them to pick up our dogs’ poop. Better than going out and buying brand new bags. The plastic bags that you put your produce in at the grocery store also works great for this.

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

That’s really cool! I love the Smithsonian :) thanks!

• visitor3 says:

We use the newspaper bags for used disposable diapers! Same idea. Tie a knot after each diaper and several can fit on the “chain” (depending on size of the diaper). Then the chains get tossed every trash day instead of waiting for a diaper genie type gadget to get filled.

• Lauren says:

My husband would make so much fun of me if I used baby hangers to close bags!!! I can hear him now… Lol

• jenn says:

i love using peg board inside. i have a slight obsession with with spray paint, which would help make it look like bright polka dots against my rented white walls.

• Shanshan says:

like the cookbook hanger idea!

• pat goff says:

I had some vintage ice buckets an I keep coffee filters in one, freezer bags In another, an candy or granola bars in the last one

• shar says:

$1 General sells surplus pant and regular hangers for 50 cents a bundle I also use them to hold gallon baggies with my scrapbook supplies in them sorted by theme. Love those pant hangers for lots of uses.