Homemade Whipped Coconut Oil Cooling Lotion

Whipped Coconut Oil Cooling Lotion Hip2Save

Just in time for all the warm and sunny weather that will soon be upon us, here is a super easy recipe for DIY whipped coconut oil cooling lotion. Not only is coconut oil great to cook with, but it also makes an amazing all-natural moisturizer – it is full of antioxidants and is super hydrating and healing when used on skin.

And did you know that when you whip coconut oil, the consistency changes from a clear solid to a luxurious white body butter?! This recipe combines the healing power of coconut oil with the cooling effects of aloe; I also opted to add lavender and peppermint essential oils.

Whipped Coconut Oil Cooling Lotion Recipe

1 cup Coconut Oil, solid
1/2 cup Aloe Gel
18 drops Essential Oils (I used Lavender & Peppermint)

Place solid coconut oil, aloe gel, and essential oils in a mixing bowl. Use either a hand mixer or Kitchen Aid and mix on medium high for about 5-8 minutes until you see the that the coconut oil is turning white and forming peaks. Scoop into a container or jar and enjoy! Store below 75 degrees so it does not melt.

Aloe and Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter Hip2Save
In addition to making a great cooling moisturizer, this lotion will also provide some natural relief from itching due to bug bites, poison ivy, and hives. Have you tried making lotion from coconut oil before?

whipped coconut oil Hip2Save

Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 small kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s recipes created just for Hip2Save, click here.

• cheapcheapgoesthemommy says:

Feelin’ kind of Silly! I thought this was a food item! I was thinking oooh..that looks so yummy! hehe Great idea on making natural product for my kiddos to use! Thanks Linda!

• cheapcheapgoesthemommy says:

I meant Lina..I type too fast! :)

• visitor3 says:

What’s the best way to procure essential oils? Health food store? Online? What is a good price? Is all quality the same? I need a primer on this topic, please!

• Nicole Gray says:

You are going to get very mixed responses but let me warn you to read info from someone licensed and trained in homeopathy because the young living and doterra distributors are not and you can do some serious harm to your body with the wrong advice, however well meaning someone is. Here’s a very good place to start.

• Kris says:

Nicole, I am a former massage therapist and I could not agree more! I have taken several courses in aromatherapy and still do not consider myself an expert, but I have heard things that make me cringe!

• cindy hesse says:

I’m a consultant for Jordan Essentials and we have a certifying class that you can take from a licensed homeopathic. I think that it is crazy to try to give advice when you have had no training. We are all made in America also, which is said of some but not true.

• Nicole Gray says:

Oops, I meant aromatherapy, not homeopathy. Lol! Where is my brain today?

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

I’m fairly new to EO world, but I know there’s direct sales companies like Young Living, and doterra that sell quality EO. I have some of those and have picked up some organic options at my local natural food market on sale. It’s fun to experiment with them!

• FuzzyPeach73 says:

I would love a topic on this too! I have a couple recipes I want to make, but not sure where to get essential oils. I would love a good inexpensive price, but I know some products you get what you pay for…

Also, how long does the essential oil last?

• nikkicats2 says:

Look for good quality essential oils without added fillers. Check your local health food store or Doterra carries really good and pure essential oils. You can go to doterra.com to shop for them or find a local home sales person. My sister-in-law sells them and they smell soooooo good.

• Kellie Tasto says:

Unfortunately the quality of essential oils are not all the same. Many essential oils found in health stores will often say 100% pure organic therapeutic grade etc. However, to call something a 100% pure essential oil, a company only needs to put 5% of that compound in the oil. The rest can be fillers, chemicals, and perfumes. Even if it was synthesized in the lab to meet those compound requirements, it can still be called 100% pure. It’s kind of crazy! After much research, our family has chosen to use Young Living Essential Oils because they are therapeutic grade and Young Living has a special seed to seal process to ensure the purity of their oils.

If you would like to learn more about the oils feel free to send me an email at KellieTasto@gmail.com or you can visit my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/EverydayNaturalHealth

• Kristin says:

I had been buying essential oils at the pharmacy and health good store. 2 months ago I was introduced to doTerra and there is a HUGE difference in quality. I order all of my oils from doTerra and have them shipped to my house. These oils are worth the extra pennies–no additives or chemicals, just pure oil. Good oil should last for years.

• Michelle says:

Plant therapy has great oils and they are pure as well. Their prices are much better bc they are not a MLM. I highly recommend them and their customer service is superb. Also, shopping is also free and you can order from their website or on Amazon.

• syeo2013 says:

Funny you should ask! :) I was up until 2:30 am this morning resesarching EO’s as I have been to Doterra’s education seminars and wanted to learn more. Here is a great blog I found with piles of research that went into: What is the Best Essential Oil Company?
      She was a rep for both DoTerra and YL and after much research recommended a co that is not an MLM – very educational! :) It is a 7 part series. Go to the last one if you want to see her final recommendation.

Hope that helps! :)

• Michele says:

I love using coconut oil as a body lotion. Will definitely try this!

• Rita says:

OMG Lina you are tooo talented gal. I am impressed!!

• JulieA says:

I use coconut oil, sugar, honey, & lemon juice as a leg scrub before shaving. I mix coconut oil & tea tree oil to use on my face as an acne fighting moisturizer. I’ve made many different “flavors”of body scrubs using coconut oil, sugar, & brown sugar. When I open a new jar of coconut oil I empty the entire jar into a mixing bowl & whip it with the mixer. After its nice & fluffy I place it back in the original container; this will make it easier to use, it doesn’t go back to a full solid.

• Kellie Tasto says:

Excited to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

• Leslie says:

I use coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch for deodorant. No weird chemicals or aluminum for this girl! You can add essential oils to that mix too, but I’m highly allergic to lavender so I use a little tea tree!

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

I was just trying to convince my hubby we should try the coconut oil deodorant!! So does it really work?? :-)

• Leslie says:

Yes! It works! You still sweat, but you don’t have any odor. Just keep a trial size baby powder for touch ups during the day. Your underarms never get dry and it won’t sting at all. After a friend of mine got cancer, I started paying attention to what I ate & what we put on our bodies. Aluminum was not for me anymore! I breastfed my youngest and never used commercial deodorant. I had the hot flashes, the hot metabolism, all of it and never smelled of odor. Additionally, it was nice to know that aluminum wouldn’t get in my milk.

• Leslie says:

I should add that I’m here in Texas. The coconut oil deodorant works just fine in our summers. It often gets over 100 in June, July, ALWAYS August, and sometimes September. Every moth of the year, we could reach 80 on a random day… The deodorant works! For added protection, I keep some Burt’s bees powder and layer it on top before it fully dries.

• Catherine says:

I would love to know exactly how you make this deodorant. I made some a few months ago with coconut oil and baking soda. In addition to it NOT working, it stained my favorite shirt :( This was in the winter in Louisiana – so I can’t imagine trying to use it during our hot and humid summers.

• Nicole says:

I make this deodorant too and I love it. It takes a week or two for your body to adjust, at least it did with me, but it does work. I also make my own toothpaste and sugar scrub with coconut oil. :-)

• Melissa says:

Lina, you never fail to delight me! I can’t wait to try this!

• V says:

Most of the people who suggest essential oil companies are just in it to get profit or have their own seller link.

I much prefer essential oils from companies like mountain rose herbs, garden of wisdom and new directions aromatics. Compared to young living and doterra they are much better quality and not diluted.

• Edy says:

I’m using coconut oil brown sugar and alovera gel to scrub my whole body. My boss uses alovera juice and cramberry juice drinks one cup a day his 90 years old. Also, making a smothie of alovera gel pineapple and fresh cactus as fiber and all this have lots of benefits

• ohmom09 says:

where did u get that aloevera plant that is there in the background?Ive been searching everywhere in vain. Does anybody own one?if yes then any tips on how to grow them?

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

Hardware store with the succulents!

• hon h says:

I keep mine in the house during the winter and on my patio the rest of the time, I live in texas so I keep it on my NW corner of the patio out of direct sunlight and water it when the leaves start to droop. Also I feed it every 2 weeks along with my other plants.

• Denise says:

I like the NOW essential oils

• Lindak says:

My son rinses his mouth with coconut oil. Supposedly helps get rid of impurities on the teeth and mouth. He thinks it works.

• Nicole says:

It is called oil pulling and it definitely does work. :-) Maybe look into it. I do it and my mouth has never been healthier. You can also do it wirh sesame or olive oil.

• Christi B. says:

Just curious, if used on sun burn, wouldn’t the peppermint oil make it sting more? Also, keep in mind that some Essential Oils aren’t good for ladies who are pregnant. Peppermint is one of those. Make sure you use them safely for your own bodies.

• Christine says:

Does anyone have a home remedy for sunscreen? Thanks

• Anna says:

Any natural products good as mosquito repellents?

• rebecca says:

my 2 cents: I have a new infant, and he has EXTREMELY dry skin. Dr. hadn’t seen anything like it before. We tried many natural lotions, and expensive lotions, and ecxema stuff, etc. and Dr. was about to send us to the pediatric dermatologist. Baby’s skin was all cracked and white and rough, had red bumps :( The ONLY thing i found that worked to clear it up and soften him was good old plain coconut oil. It has been such a relief for us! I recommend! Now he’s soft and looks SO much better!

• susan says:

Could I ask what brand of coconut oil do you use and where you get it?

• rebecca says:

It’s from the store “Sprouts”. It’s Sprouts brand organic virgin coconut oil. I imagine Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s is equivalent. Here in Arizona, it is already liquid if we leave the jar out of the fridge. (Up until a couple weeks ago it was a solid at room temperature.) So i want to try this whipped recipe and see if it’s easier to work with to smooth on a squirmy baby twice a day.

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

I know I use it on my kids too plain and I love it!

• lisacarlson217 says:

In response to an earlier comment – I sell Young Living essential oils. They are NOT diluted. They are absolutely pure. Essential oils that are bought in a retail store are NOT the same quality, regardless of what the bottle says. Since EO’s are not FDA regulated, those companies only have to be 5% pure to be able to say they are all pure. Young Living is the real deal. Their products are not diluted and they are safe to take internally, which most of the others are not. And as far as people trying to make a profit from direct selling? Direct selling has been around for a long time, look at Avon, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Tupperware, etc. I sell Young Living to make extra income for my family. Is that a crime?
    For those that are interested, please visit my blog, http://www.keepingitrealoily.com. You can ask me any questions you may have, and I will gladly help you!

• Brandee says:

It is certainly not a crime to supplement your income! Many of us understand that.
      But you should read up more about the lies the FDA is telling all of us. That is a crime!!! The FDA regulates what suits them in power and makes them money. They could care less about our safety!!!!!

• I’ve been making this recipe as well, and its helped me with my very sensitive skin, its Homemade Warm Honey Eucalyptus Body Butter http://theladyprefers2save.com/?p=988

• Kris says:

There is no governing body for essential oils, period. There are places like the national Association for holistic aromatherapy who make recommendations, but not a regulatory body. That means that any company can make any claim and say whatever they want. My issue with some companies is not necessarily the quality of the oils, but the statements the company makes about therapeutic use and safety of the oils. Purity is not an indicator or reason to use an essential oil internally. In fact, some pure essential oils would be very harmful if taken internally. I’m only saying this because it’s very important to do research to find out what is safe.

• Shirl says:

I am trying to find a natural relief for my daughters eczema. Does anyone have a recipe they could share that has worked for them? I heard of using Crisco, which seems nuts, at the same time using coconut oil doesn’t seem that far off form Crisco. Any ideas?

• ShelbyinWashington says:

Hi thank you for this awesome recipe! I have a couple questions. In the picture I notice that you used aloe gel that is bright green colored. But you had an aloe plant as well. Is this the kind that also has alcohol in it, that being the cooling part to the lotion. Or is it pure aloe vera with and you added green dye? Did you use aloe directly from your plant or are you buying the gel at the store? I have always been under the impression the green aloe is bad for you cause the alcohol essentially cools at first but then dries out the skin causing you to keep reapplying.
    Also is coconut oil ok with someone with sensitive skin/ Eczema?
    Thank you!!

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

I did use the drugstore aloe gel because it’s what I had. I used an aloe plant just for the photo is all :-) Use what type of aloe gel you prefer. Coconut oil is great for sensitive skin and can even be used alone for a wonderful moisturizer. Thanks!