Looking for a fun and unique craft idea for both kids and adults?
Try marbling paper using shaving cream and food coloring! It’s a really fun technique we just tried and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as well!
You can marble a whole piece of paper and call it done, or take it even further and use it as colorful craft paper in other homemade paper projects. The bottom of a paper plate can even be used instead of card stock.
DIY Marbled Paper Using Shaving Cream
- Shaving Cream
- Food Coloring
- Wood Skewer
- White Card Stock Paper
- Ruler (or something with a straight edge)
- 9×13 Baking Dish or pan sized larger than your paper
- Disposable Gloves *optional (but this project can get messy)
- Paper Towels
- Spray enough shaving cream to just cover bottom of pan, and then use a spatula or knife to spread it in an even layer.
- Squeeze drops of food coloring throughout the pan of shaving cream.
- Use a wood skewer to make swirls throughout the shaving cream, making sure to get the desired marbled look without over stirring. (Don’t over stir your design!)
- Place a piece of card stock on top of shaving cream and press down.
- Gently lift up and out of shaving cream and place on paper towels, shaving cream side up.
- Start with one side and scrape shaving cream off in one motion using ruler. (This is when you’ll be able to see the really cool marbling effect!)
- Discard shaving cream into trash or sink and let paper dry completely.
- Place heavy books to flatten paper if it bubbles up after drying.
Note: Once you press a piece of paper on a marbled area of shaving cream, that area is done. Repeat steps with smaller paper if you have additional marbling space to press into, or clean entire pan and start over again.
I LOVE the end result. The part where you scrape off the shaving cream is super satisfying and COOL!
It’s fun to repeat the process again experimenting with different color combinations! In fact, we had so much fun ~ it’s a little addicting! My kids loved helping with the swirling part.
This is such a fun technique to do and then create things with the paper!
I made these homemade cards by cutting shapes out of the marbled paper and gluing them onto blank stationary. You can also use it in addition to any paper embellishment you may already have on hand. I was able to make some fun homemade bookmarks, too.
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s DIY/Crafts created just for Hip2Save, click here.