Cashier Coupon Scrutiny!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Are you having problems using coupons?!
What is the deal these days with cashiers thinking that the coupons we use somehow come out of their paychecks? I just DON’T UNDERSTAND! It seems we should get praised for how much we save with the economy as bad as it is!
Now I’m not by any means trying to say there aren’t some fabulous cashiers out there because trust me, I know quite a few… check out this post to see what I mean!
I have gotten lots of emails lately about coupon usage and what to do when a store employee doesn’t want to accept a manufacturer coupon. Here are a few things I try to do and say to make sure ALL my coupons get scanned:
- The first thing I do, this might sound a little funny, is look around and see what cashiers I have to choose from. Sometimes just by looking at facial expressions you can tell who is in a great mood and well… who is NOT so happy! Obviously, I always choose the perkiest of the bunch!
- As I get up to the register I always, I mean ALWAYS strike up a conversation! Whether it be complimenting them on a piece of jewelry they have or how it hasn’t stopped raining outside. I always come up with something to say. Being friendly seems to help BIG TIME!
- Now the hard part–Your coupon gets scrutinized! What to do? First NEVER get angry, that will do nothing for you. Stay calm and realize that most of the time when someone is worried about accepting your coupon it’s because they are not educated at all on the use of manufacturers coupons and may be worried they will get in trouble. The is the time to become their little teacher and educate them. I make it short and sweet–Your store will get reimbursed for each coupon that I’m using. Coupons to your store are pretty much the same as me using cash instead. Either way they will get their money. Then I go on to explain that coupons are coded to beep if I didn’t buy the correct item which usually gives the cashier the initiative to go ahead and scan the coupon.
- Does she still not want to scan the coupon? If so, my next step usually involves flipping through the sales ad and finding a spot where it says coupon saving in the paper. Walgreen’s and CVS have this displayed in lots of places in their ads. This really helps if you can find the exact picture of what you’re purchasing with coupon savings written beside it. Basically, that pretty clearly says you CAN use a manufacture coupon to purchase your item. This happened with the Garnier products that were on sale for $2.99 at Walgreen’s previously. There was an EasySaver $2 Walgreen’s coupon that would make the price only $0.99! Plus, if you used the $1/1 manufacturer coupon it would make the shampoo FREE! One cashier told me I couldn’t use the manufacturer coupon, so I politely showed her the ad where it pictured the Garnier product at $0.99 after EasySaver coupon… BUT is also had look for saving in the paper written beside it too! Of course after seeing that she went ahead and let me use it.
- If you’re still having problems, your next step is to ask for a manager. Go through the above steps again with the manager and see if that works. If not, get his name and nicely let him know that you will be calling corporate about this. Sometimes just by saying that they will go ahead and let you use the coupons. Either way give corporate a call and see what they say about the problems with coupons usage your encountering!
Do you have any other coupon tips?
Please feel free to share!