Every Monday I will be starting a new Question of the week discussion!
Do you have any money saving questions you would like answered?!?
Do you think its worth buying free items even if you won’t use them?!?
In my opinion yes… its extremely worth it!
The main reason being (which I state in my Couponing 101 post):
“Sometimes you have to buy products you don’t need to get products you do. Now this rule might seem like a hard one to understand. Here is an example- The other day I went to Walgreen’s because they had a great promotion going on. You had to buy 10 Gillette shaving products and you would receive $5 back to use in the store. So I went in and got 10 of the cheapest shaving gels which were $2 a piece for a total of $20. Well Walgreen’s had a store coupon for $1 off each shaving gel which brought the total down to $10. Plus I had 10 $1 off manuf coupons bringing the total down to nothing but tax!!!:) I then used the $5 in another transaction to get 4 FREE newspapers to get more coupons… So I walked out of there with 10 FREE shaving gels that I didn’t need, but 4 FREE newspapers that I did!!”
Here are some ideas to make use of those freebies-
- Make Gift Baskets for friends and relatives. There is so much more thought that goes into making a homemade gift basket. My grandmother received this (pictured above) on her Birthday and loved it. I wrapped up toothbrushes, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, air fresheners and much more. It might seem odd but she thought it was creative and unique. Its also nice to know that your giving others items they will actually use, unlike some gifts!
- Donate the items to a homeless shelter or Women’s shelter. You could also research online and donate to a cause your most passionate about.
- Have a garage sale every couple months. This is a win win situation- You make some money and also help others who don’t “coupon” get a great deal too!
- Make money selling items on EBay. This is a fun hobby to pursue along with “couponing”. When you just can’t resist saying no to a freebie at least you can sell it on EBay!
- Try new things!! For example if you find a free deal on a food item you’ve never tasted then give it a chance. That’s the fun of using coupons… you don’t have to be brand loyal… you can try new things!