Video: How to Make Portable Meals with Mason Jars (Healthy & Frugal!)
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
In this new video, I will show you how easy and fun it is to make Portable Meals with Mason Jars specifically Mason Jar Salads, Mason Jar Yogurt Parfaits and Mason Jar Steel Cut Oats. Yum! If you are focused on eating healthy meals and really like to have nutritious foods prepared when you are in a time crunch, then Mason Jar Meals are a great option for you.
* Go here to watch the video.
Here are the recipes I discuss in the video:
Mason Jar Salads
The biggest tip for making mason jar salads is the order in which you layer your salad ingredients! Make sure to put salad ingredients in the following order when adding to your mason jars…
* Always and I mean, ALWAYS add you dressing first. Add enough dressing so that when shaken up it will coat your entire jar of salad. Make sure to slowly pour your dressing in so that it does not get on the sides of the jar and stays at the bottom. This will keep the lettuce and other salad greens (that will be added at the end) from wilting.
* Next add any hard veggies that you’d like to put in your salad, such as carrots, cucumbers, onions, cabbage, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms etc These veggies will soak up the dressing and marinate. Yum!
* Then feel free to add in your grains, cheeses and/or other protein sources such as chicken etc
* Finally add in your salad greens which you can fill to the brim of the jar. Seal your lid and stick in the fridge until you are ready to eat. When ready, just shake up the jar to coat your salad! That’s it! 🙂
These jars of salad seem to stay fresh for 4 to 5 days (possibly longer!).
Mason Jar Parfait
These are super simple to make and super yummy, too! I also love having these on hand for quick snacks on the go…. especially since the kiddos also enjoy them!
Just put your favorite yogurt at the bottom of a 1/2 pint-sized mason jar – my favorite picks are either Chobani or Fage greek yogurt! Next add your favorite sweetener… I opted for honey! Now add your favorite fruits – I chose to throw in blueberries and raspberries. And finally, add your granola to the top! Easy Peasy!
Mason Jar Steel Cut Oats
These are so easy to prepare and make for such a healthy and quick breakfast! I’ll even have these oats at night as my dessert… a little brown sugar and I’m in heaven! 🙂
To get started, just follow the directions on the back of the steel-cut oats to figure out your water to oats ratio. Boil the oats and water for 3 minutes. This is also a great time to add in salt (you’ve got to salt your oats – it brings out the flavor!). You can also add cinnamon, vanilla extract, and anything else you please. Now take off the burner and let cool for a few minutes, then carefully ladle the oats into pint-sized mason jars. Screw on the lids and let the oats soak up the water for about 15 minutes, then put the mason jars in the fridge overnight. That’s it! They are now ready to nuke in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes and enjoy!
And don’t forget that now’s a great time to throw in brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit, granola, and anything else you love with your oats!
Take some time to explore Hip2Save’s newly updated YouTube Page. Check out all my favorite videos listed at the very top and browse through all the different categories of videos (like How to Coupon, Deal Shopping, Get to Know Me videos and much more!). Plus, subscribe to my YouTube Channel (click on the Subscribe button in the top right) and be the first one to learn about newly released videos! Enjoy!