DIY Beer Coasters (Father’s Day Gift Idea)
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Is the man in your life a fan of beer? If so, check out this unique DIY gift idea (perfect for Father’s Day) that uses cardboard beer carriers! These custom coasters turn out so cute and are super easy to make! If you prefer, you can opt to use soda boxes instead or even personal photos!
DIY Beer Coasters
These beer coasters are a perfect gift and will definitely fit your budget. What’s even better is they will be personalized for that special person. You can make a party of it by inviting your friends over and have an adult arts and crafts day — that is, if you are making the coasters out of beer carriers.
However, if you choose to make them out of soda pop carriers or photographs, then this will become a great activity for the kids. Spend some time together on a Saturday morning or one afternoon after school to make that special gift for dad.
And, remember, these beer coasters are easy and fun to make.
- Cardboard boxes and carriers used for beer packaging
- 4×4 inch Tiles
- Mod Podge, plus foam brush or paint brush
- Adhesive felt pads (the kind you use under furniture to protect floors) or corkboard
- Clear Polycrylic protective finish (optional but recommended)
- Medium grit sandpaper or sanding block
- Use a pen and trace the coaster on the cardboard so it’s the same size as the tile – then cut the square out of the cardboard.
- Brush a coat of Mod Podge onto the back of cardboard and place on top of tile smoothing out any bubbles.
- Turn it over so the weight of the tile is on top and let dry. If the edges pop up, be sure to press them down.
- Let dry for about 15 minutes and apply 2-4 more layers of Mod Podge on top of the tiles, letting each layer dry in between coats.
- After everything is completely dry, go back and sand down any rough edges.
- Place the self adhesive felt pads on the bottom of tiles.
- Finish by painting a coat of polycrylic protective finish in clear over the top. This will protect your coaster and keep it lasting longer.
This is such a fun craft and great way to upcycle cardboard beer carriers! On a side note, my husband was pretty impressed and excited to use his coasters! 🙂 So, why not make him a set for Father’s Day?