If you’re in the mood for a festive and easy Christmas craft, consider turning an ordinary wood log into a snowman or Santa using paint and a couple of winter accessories! The result is an adorable Christmas decoration to display in your home for years to come.
My friends and I recently got together to paint logs into cute snowmen after being inspired from this popular previous Hip2Save post!
What a fun and easy project. None of us had easy access to logs, but we’re able to pick up these already shaved ones from a local firewood and lumber yard. They are ponderosa pines, and measure 18-22 inches, about 7 inches wide. You could always adjust the size to your preference.
Tip: Use snow hats and scarves you may already have on hand or look for some inexpensive ones at thrift stores to accessorize your snowman!
Snowman Painted Log:
18-22 inch tall log, shaved
Craft Paint (white, black, orange, pink)
Paint Brush or Paint Sponge
Wine Cork and Pencil (for stamping face)
Adult Snow Hat & Scarf
- Paint entire log white, and let dry.
- Use a wine cork and end of a pencil eraser to “stamp” face and button details with paint.
- Use a small paint brush for the nose. Let dry.
- Place Hat and scarf on and secure with thumb tacks if desired.
Santa Painted Log:
18-22 inch log
Craft Paint, (red, white, pink, flesh colored)
Wine cork (for stamping face)
- Use a pencil to plan out space for face, beard, and body.
- Paint the top in a flesh color, the bottom in red, and then use a paint brush to fill in beard and bottom coat detail. I used the bottom of paint brush to tap the ends of beard so it looked like hair, and the bottom like fur.
- Paint and “stamp” face details using wine corks and a small paint brush, let dry.
- Add a Santa hat to the top. (I also used my daughter’s headband as a belt.)
What a cute project! I hope you have as much fun painting your Santa or snowman as I did mine! 🎅⛄
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 small kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s DIY/Crafts created just for Hip2Save, click here.