Need a Little Fitness Motivation?
With summer here, you may be unmotivated to get out in the heat and exercise or just don’t like the idea of waking up at the crack of dawn to avoid the treacherous sun. Or maybe the steep gym membership fees keep you from getting that much needed exercise?
Have no fear!
Here are NINE ways that you can workout around town OR in the comfort of your own home… completely FREE!
1.) Stream Free Fitness Videos on Amazon
If you’re an Amazon Prime Member (if not, go here to sign up for a Free 30-day trial!), you can stream thousands of workout movies with your Prime membership – featuring Pilates, weight loss, Zumba, kickboxing and many more!
As an idea, here are 5 videos already included with Amazon Prime:
2.) Find Free Workout Channels on YouTube
Whether you’re looking for strength-training workouts, fat burners, yoga moves, dance routines, step aerobics, there’s a YouTube channel for it with FREE workout videos.
Popular YouTube channels are:
- FitnessBlender – Features strength workouts done with body weight or adjustable dumbbells.
- BeFiT – You’ll find everything from dance routines to extreme workouts to beginner’s yoga.
- Jessica Smith TV – Features cardio/strength workouts with and without weights and some power walking in place.
- BodyRock – Focuses on high intensity intervals, including a 30-day challenge with a video for each day of the week (most videos are over 45 minutes long!).
- Blogilates – Features Pilates-inspired workouts done on a mat
- Yoga Journal – Includes yoga routines and sequences for energizing or relaxing, seated or standing, or focusing on various body parts.
3.) Grab This Free Deal on Groupon or LivingSocial
For a limited time, head over to Groupon.com or LivingSocial.com and score a FREE 60-Day Premium Membership to Daily Burn ($39.90 value).
After purchasing this deal, hop over to the Daily Burn website to claim your free trial. You will be required to enter your credit card even though the first 60 days are free. At the end of your trial period you will be automatically enrolled as a Daily Burn premium member and your credit card will be charged $19.95/month until you cancel. There is NO obligation and you can cancel at ANY time!
4.) Download Free Fitness Apps
If you have access to a mobile device, there are a LOT of Free Fitness Apps available in iTunes and Google Play that you can download for various workouts.
Try one of these to get you moving:
Hip Tip – Did you know that there are quite a few Free Fitness Apps available that also offer rewards just for being healthy? Check them out here.
5.) Check Your Cable TV Channels
Did you know that if you have On Demand programming as part of your cable TV package, you most likely have access to FREE exercise programs from Exercise TV? Exercise TV provides a wide range of exercise programs, including yoga, Pilates, stretching, walking, strength training, along with abs and cardio workouts. There are programs for every fitness level from beginner to advanced.
If you have a Roku or Apple TV Streaming Media Player, you can access Free exercise channels as well! Go here to see a list of Free Fitness Channels available for your Roku (most are same for Apple TV).
6.) Attend Free Classes at Your Local Library
Check with your local library for possible exercise DVDs that you can check out for exercising at home. Plus, some libraries offer Free Fitness classes, so be sure to check the schedule or call your local library. As just an idea, this public library offers a Free “Walk On” Class that is open to the public.
7.) Take Advantage of Free Gym Passes
Most large gyms and yoga studios offer visitors the chance to try before you sign up. Not only will you get to workout for Free for a limited time, but the facility will be eager to keep your business. If you decide to become a paid member, there are often special discounts or deals whenever you sign up.
8.) Use What You Have at Home… Free (Including Kids!)
You can get a crazy good workout using things you already have at home – like canned goods, couches, stairs, jump ropes, chairs, hula hoops and even your own babies/toddlers! 😀 Here are just a few household items you can use to get a great workout without paying hefty gym fees…
- Stairs – These are great for running up and down or doing calf raises on the edge
- Wall – Use any wall to do a timed wall sit…your thighs will love you!
- Jump Ropes – Using a jump rope as intended will get your heart rate up!
- Broom – Lay a broom on the ground and jump over it side to side
- Canned Goods – Use soup cans for shoulder presses
- Hula Hoop – Place it on the ground and jump in and out of the hoop, going around the circle
- Chair – Perfect for doing arm dips – your triceps will feel the burn!
- Kitchen Counter – Great for doing narrow pushups!
- Babies/Toddlers – Kids love being part of the exercise and they make great “weights”
You can also hunt for Free fitness equipment and make your own “gym” at home. You may be able to find items on Craigslist or on a local Facebook group where members gift things they no longer want.
9.) Take Advantage of Your Free Corporate Gym
If you work at a place that has a Free gym on site (such as General Mills, Facebook, Verizon Wireless, ExxonMobil, Chick-fil-A and others), why not USE IT?! Instead of going out to eat on your lunch break, consider spending half of that time breaking a little sweat and the other half eating a healthy meal.
Written by Mary for Hip2Save. Mary is a proud mom to 3 kids in Austin, TX, who thrives off running long distance, bargain shopping, warm weather, a yummy latte…and a little Candy Crush from time to time. She loves quality time with family & friends and sharing great deals with others.