A Box of Trendy, Perfectly Sized and Styled Clothes on Your Doorstep?
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Give your closet some TLC!
There’s something about confidently stepping out in a new outfit that gives us the “I can take on anything” attitude that we love. 🤩 So why not treat yourself…
Hello, Stitch Fix! 👋
a few of our team members were a bit skeptical. 😬
How will they get the style right, or the size, or the preferred fit? 🤔 Plus, a service like this has to come at a cost, not to mention the cost of keeping the clothes on top of it. And even more concerning, what if we don’t like any of the clothes?!
Here’s what you need to know about Stitch Fix…
Consider the website as your personal stylist who has all your measurements, understands your style, and, most importantly, knows your budget. Each month, you’ll receive a curated box of fresh finds from the Stitch Fix team delivered right to your door.
Here’s how Stitch Fix works:
First, you’ll start by filling out your style profile.
This is oh SO important as it really helps the stylists know what you like to wear and what type of clothes and accessories you’re looking for. You can even create a Pinterest board that you’ll be able to share with your stylist. You’ll also want to enter in your measurements so the items you receive are in your correct sizes.
Don’t skimp out on highlighting what you don’t like. For example, if you’re not a fan of shorts, you can specifically request to never receive shorts in any of your Fixes.
Also, make sure you check off what your desired spending budget is. It’s one thing to like the clothes in your box, but it’s another to actually want to purchase them after they arrive. There’s a range of budget options to choose from, and the types of clothes and accessories you receive will reflect the price range selected.
If there was a “hard part” of the process, this is it — but seriously, it’s so worth it! You can also check out these tips on how to get the best Fix ever!
Next, you’ll request your Fix.
This means you’re ready for action and will be getting your Fix soon! 😍 You’ll receive an estimated delivery date, and your styling fee will be processed. The fee is $20 and will be applied to your purchase of whatever items you keep. If you don’t end up keeping any items in your box, you’ll be out the $20 fee, which reiterates just how important it is to be thorough on your style profile.
This is also where you should send your stylist notes. Have an event coming up that you’d love a new outfit for? Share this in your request along with any specifics you have in mind to help your stylist while picking the pieces for your fix.
One of the better selling points to Stitch Fix is that you don’t need to start a subscription in order to get a box. If you don’t like committing to subscriptions or you just want to check it out once, you can simply request one box and be done with it. The one time Fix is also great if you want to send the service to a friend as a fun and unique gift idea!
However, if you do end up loving the box you receive, you can totally sign on for a subscription to get Fixes regularly. Keep in mind that if you have a subscription and don’t keep any items from your current fix, the $20 styling fee will not roll over to the next month. 😟
Finally, have an at-home fashion show! 💃
Once you receive your box, you have seven days to try on and decide which pieces from the box you want to keep and which ones aren’t for you. You can jot down any notes about the selection that was sent to help your stylist for future Fixes.
The BEST part!
If you keep the entire contents of your box, awesome! You’ll score 25% off your WHOLE box!
But it’s also fine if you need to send back some of the clothes, too — just note that you won’t get the 25% discount. The return shipping is super easy as the box comes with a pre-printed return shipping label attached to a large envelope ready to go. Simply fill the package up with whatever clothes and accessories you don’t want to keep, and drop it in the mail. Easy peasy!
Oh, and don’t forget that your $20 styling fee will be applied towards your purchase whether you keep one piece or the whole fix!
Why we ❤️ Stitch Fix!
- It saves you time. When you fill out the style profile with your style, size, and budget, all the guesswork and hassle of shopping is done for you. You’ll have more time to enjoy wearing your clothes than spending hours shopping for them! It’s also a fun way to try out clothes you wouldn’t normally choose for yourself or even have access to without ordering through Stitch Fix.
- It’s a fun surprise! If your budget allows, this service makes for a great ‘surprise and delight’ moment anytime you receive a box. It’s exciting to open it up and see what the stylist has picked out. It’s also fun to treat yourself to these fixes every few months — it’s the little things!
- It’s more than just clothes. They have really cute accessories like earrings, purses, and shoes so you can have an entire outfit in one box — perfect for when you have a special occasion coming up but no time to shop!
- It teaches you about your own style. Getting the boxes and deciding what you like and don’t like helps you hone in on your own personal style. Even if you don’t solely shop with Stitch Fix, you’ll be more in tune with styles, colors, and fits that make you feel best next time you’re out shopping.
That said, there are some things we don’t love…
- You could potentially spend $20 for nothing. While the $20 styling fee goes toward any items you keep, you won’t be refunded if you send the entire box back. It takes some time and trust to make sure your stylist has a good sense of the pieces they should be picking for you.
- The service can get pricey. If you don’t specify your budget, or if you’re used to only shopping items on sale, the cost of the clothes can add up quickly. It’s a nice treat to receive fixes but it’s wise to be smart about how they will fit into your clothing budget.
We asked some of our team members and readers what they thought of StitchFix…
“I’ve personally been on the Stitch Fix fence for so long. I assumed they’d get my sizing or style wrong and thought it’d be a waste of time. I wear an L/XL and I’m always hesitant about ordering clothes thinking they won’t fit me.
But I loved my box and bought an outfit I actually want to wear every single day! 😄 It’s a little more than I normally spend, but my husband said I looked nice and told me I should keep it since it fits and looked great. ❤️
I feel great and have gotten lots of compliments. I can’t wait to get my next box! 🎉”
Hip2Save Amber says:
“I love Stitch Fix! I personally hate shopping in stores, so I just love that a box full of surprise goodies is shipped to my door! I also love that you can leave notes for your stylist and always get some fun stuff added that you may have never picked up while shopping in-store!
Plus, it was awesome when I was pregnant as cute maternity clothes are hard to come by!
Reader Tracy says:
“It’s funny because when I got my first package, I opened it up and thought I would send it all back. But I tried it on and turned out loving it! It’s stuff that I wouldn’t necessarily pick out for myself, but they ended up becoming some of my favorite things. I also really struggle with style and dressing myself, so it was nice to have someone do it for me.
They also have a size guide for you to help figure out sizes. Everything in my box fit with the exception of one pair of pants that were borderline tight — it’s easy to send stuff back though.”
“I’m a total Stitch Fix addict. There’s something pretty fantastic about getting a box of clothes on your doorstep tailored to you. 😍 I don’t do a lot of clothing shopping for myself because most of my shopping excursions are centered around items the kids need. So Stitch Fix is a non-guilty splurge of mine.
That said, I totally get it’s not for everyone. If you do have wiggle room in your budget and like fashion, I definitely suggest at least trying it out and getting one fix since NO subscription is required. I’ve gotten such cute pieces I normally wouldn’t pick out on my own. I get giddy when my box arrives, and excitedly show off my clothes to my uninterested kids and hubby. 😂 It’s totally the little things for me.”