Turn Dollar Store Frames Into a Trendy Decorative Lantern
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Check out this fun Dollar Tree home decor hack!
I recently put together some trendy decorative lanterns by using photo frames from Dollar Tree, and they turned out super cute. They look great on my dining room table, and I love that I can display candles inside or change up what’s inside for different seasons and holidays.
Grab some Dollar Tree frames and get started!
The idea is to grab your frames, take them apart, and then glue the pieces back together into a lantern design. Don’t worry – it’s easier than it sounds! For one lantern you’ll need four 8×10 picture frames and one 8×8 picture frame. Notice that the 8×8 frame pictured above is a collage frame with an overall size of 8×8.
Tips for success:
- Before you leave the Dollar Tree store, I’d open the frames to make sure they aren’t damaged. This happened to me, and it’ll save you a trip back.
- It’s helpful to grab some needle nose pliers to easily deconstruct your frames.
- You can just glue a simple shape with four frames and skip the top part, but I think the top’s the coolest detail!
- For festive Halloween decor, it would be fun to embellish further with black vinyl shapes for a spooky lantern.
- You can glue a frame to the bottom to have a “base”, but I think it’s more convenient to have it open for larger candles and decor. It’s all up to you.
DIY Dollar Tree Picture Frame LanternsPrint
- 4– 8x10 picture frames (flat sided)
- 1– 8×8 square picture frame
- needle nose pliers
- hot glue gun
- 1 shower curtain ring *optional
Look at how pretty these turned out!
I love how the size is actually very substantial. They are a pretty and trendy statement piece for the home – and you can’t beat the price! I’ve seen real lanterns like these priced at $25+ in stores and online. These cost me $5!
Style your lanterns for different holidays and seasons!
Here’s an example of how you can decorate a lantern for Christmas. All items inside are from Dollar Tree. They even carry tiny LED lights and candles to put inside! Have some fun and be creative!
These farmhouse style decorative orbs are made from what?!