Make These Easy & Festive Velvet Pumpkins at Home!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Fall means pumpkins!
Better yet, velvet pumpkins make for some gorgeous and unique fall home decor, so today I’m sharing a fun and easy DIY tutorial so you can make your very own velvet pumpkins at home for cheap!
These trendy plush velvet pumpkins sold at home decor stores and online boutiques can be a little pricey, but they’re actually pretty simple to make! Even better, the options are endless since you can make them using any fabric you want and still get a high-end look.
I mixed up my pumpkins by using some Crushed Panne Velvet and upholstery fabric I found on clearance. Then all you do is cut circle shapes out of fabric, hand stitch around the edges, then stuff with dried beans and fiber stuffing. Easy peasy, right?!
Hip Tip: Collect dry stems from real pumpkins, gourds, etc. or you can use cut-up branches for a more rustic look. To glam them up, you could even spray paint them gold or silver.
Here are a few DIY tips to keep in mind when making velvet pumpkins:
- Instead of using expensive velvet fabric, you could opt for this Crushed Panne Velvet which comes in many colors and is only $3.99 a yard – super cheap compared to the other expensive options!
- Go thrift shopping for cheap fabrics. There are many ways to save at thrift stores, so why not shop for some unique fabric while you’re there? Plus, more than likely you’ll end up paying way less than buying it new.
- Don’t be intimidated by hand stitching. I’m NOT an experienced sewer AT ALL! If it’s been a while since your hands have touched a needle & thread, read this helpful post explaining a running stitch and double thread, which is also what I used.
- Use extra strong thread. This is very important so when you’re pulling your thread tightly to close the top of the pumpkin thread won’t break.
DIY Velvet PumpkinsPrint
These whimsical velvet pumpkins are so fun to make! 😍
They look so cute grouped together for a festive centerpiece or on a large tray or bowl. Grab a group of friends, and make this a fun fall craft activity!
Thinking about just buying some velvet pumpkins? Here are 3 different places you can find them:
1. Bulk Harvest Velvety Pumpkins
- Buy them at the Dollar Store | $36 (for a case of 36, so just $1 each)
If you’re in a pinch and need a bunch of velvet pumpkins to put on display, use as gifts, or even incorporated into fall wedding decor, the Dollar Tree is a great place to scoop up affordable, bulk velvet pumpkins.
Hip Tip: Speaking of buying in bulk, these are the 10 most popular items to buy in bulk online from Dollar Tree.
2. Your Heart’s Content Velvet Pillows
- Buy them on Amazon | $24.99 (set of 3)
As you probably already know, Amazon has everything – including trendy, handmade velvet pumpkins. If you’re looking for quick shipping and gorgeous fall decor, this listing fits the bill!
3. Perky Pumpkins Velvet Pumpkins
- Buy them on Etsy | $38+
Etsy is the perfect place to find incredible handmade goodies. Not only does Perky Pumpkins have a large assortment of totally unique velvet pumpkins, but you can also find dried pumpkin stems and even decorated acorns to make your fall home really stand out!