Craving Comfort Food? Make this Cornbread Chili Casserole
Do you love warm cornbread and chili as a comforting meal?
If you’re looking for a yummy way to combine the two, check out this easy Cornbread Chili Casserole! It makes for a delicious and simple meal any day of the week.
Cornbread Chili Casserole
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 35 MINUTES
total time: 50 MINUTES
Hearty and full of flavor, this cornbread chili casserole is a great dish for family dinners or holiday dish.
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 pounds Ground Beef, or Ground Turkey
- 1-28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 -16 oz. cans Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2-8.5oz. packages of Corn Muffin Mix (Such as Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix)
- Plus – Ingredients for batter
- The original recipe calls for one box of muffin mix but we use two boxes so the bread top is thicker. If you’d like less cornbread, just use one box and decrease baking time to around 20 minutes.
- If you like spicy chili, add more chili powder, cayenne pepper, or Tabasco.
- I didn’t have a large can of crushed tomatoes on hand and instead used one 15oz. can crushed tomatoes and one 15oz. can diced tomatoes, drained. It worked out great!
This dish tastes amazing… Comfort food at it’s BEST! We love chili and this is a great quick and basic recipe. You could also substitute your own favorite chili recipe and use the same idea for those times you have leftover chili to use up.
Next time I’d like to experiment with adding corn, chilies, and cheese to the cornbread batter. Yum!