Best Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookie Recipe for Cut-Out Cookies
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Looking for a winning gingerbread cookie recipe? This is the perfect one to use for festive cut-out shapes.
Does anyone else here love a good from scratch gingerbread cookie?
With holiday cookie season in full swing, I thought it would be fun to share some festive gingerbread cookies you can bake at home as a fun activity for dessert! I know there are lots of cookie kits in the stores, but nothing beats a delicious homemade cookie.
The result is a perfectly chewy and soft cookie you can decorate with frosting. The taste has lots of flavor from the molasses and warm spices, yet is balanced with sweetness too. YUM!
Guys, who knew gingerbread cookie recipes can be kind of tricky?
Cookies can come out too dry or hard, the dough can be too crumbly or too sticky. I tried three popular recipes and methods for making cut-out gingerbread cookies and came out with a clear winner in this recipe from TasteofHome.com.
This dough comes together smoothly and easily with little to know guesswork, and it’s not too overwhelming with too much molasses. I did add more of the warm spices and ground clove to ensure deeper flavor and do recommend chilling for a longer period of time, preferably overnight to make sure the shapes don’t spread.
Grab those cookie cutters and let’s go!
yield: 24 SERVINGS
prep time: 40 MINUTES
cook time: 7 MINUTES
total time: 47 MINUTES
A soft and chewy gingerbread cookie with warm spices, great for making cutout cookies.
For the cookies:
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the icing:
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
Tips for making the perfect gingerbread cookie recipe:
- This dough must be chilled before rolling into shapes. It’s best to chill them overnight, or at least for a few hours in the fridge. I suggest making the day dough a day ahead of time and then decorating the next day for convenience.
- Consider rolling out the dough onto parchment paper. In my opinion, they are much easier to transfer to a cookie sheet instead of from the counter.
- You can even use the same piece of parchment paper on the baking sheet. I am using nonstick Caraway sheet pans, so no paper is needed on those.
- Be sure to not roll the dough too thin. If you make them on the thicker side about 1/8 inch, they will be softer.
- If you want a suggestion for the cutest cookie boxes, check out these adorable gingerbread shaped boxes from Michaels!
Oh my, I am in gingerbread heaven!
This simple recipe tastes so great and the shapes turn out so adorable too. This batch made about 24 three-inch cookies for me and would be great to double if you’d like a larger batch for cookie exchanges. Baking holiday cookies together is one of our favorite traditions, and this is a fun idea to do.
Wishing you all a beautiful holiday with lots of family, love, and warm cookies. Merry Christmas!