How to Make a Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich Using the Air Fryer
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Make the perfect air fryer grilled cheese!
Love easy air fryer recipe ideas?
I don’t think there’s anything more comforting than a gooey and warm grilled cheese sandwich dipped in a little tomato soup! My kids seem to agree because it’s their go-to quick meal when we don’t have anything planned, and it’s one they can even make themselves. 🥪👏
We’ve been making grilled cheese in the air fryer, and it’s LIFE CHANGING!
The result is a perfect buttery and crispy texture on the bread, combined with a gooey cheesy middle. In my opinion, it’s actually pleasantly more perfect than when cooked in a skillet. Plus, it’s super easy and convenient to just place in the air fryer for a few minutes on each side, instead of standing by the stove.
Hip tips for making air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches:
- Experiment with different cheese combinations and bread! My kids tend to like a mild Colby jack cheese, but when I make a grilled cheese for myself, I love to use a smoked gouda, cheddar, provolone, or even muenster cheese. I also tend to grab sliced sourdough bread instead of white bread, for a more elevated grilled cheese experience.
- If your top piece of bread flies away when air frying, simply use a toothpick to keep everything together.
- Readers have shared the tip of spreading mayonnaise on the outside of the sliced bread instead of butter. I tried it and I love it too!
- Your cook time may differ a little because different machine heats could vary, as well as the thickness of your cheese and bread, or how toasted you like it. Luckily with air fryers, it’s so easy to peek in and see if it needs more or less cooking time.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
yield: 1 SERVINGS
prep time: 2 MINUTES
cook time: 7 MINUTES
total time: 9 MINUTES
Try making a grilled cheese using the air fryer for an incredibly delicious crust with a satisfying gooey and cheesy middle.
- 2 pieces bread
- 2 slices cheese (I used Colby Jack)
- 1 tablespoon butter or mayonnaise
If you’re new to air fryer cooking and don’t know where to start, this would be a great beginner meal!
One of the reasons I love my air fryer is that it’s so easy and convenient to use. Although this is a very simple idea, I think it’s definitely worth trying! My family LOVED it and it’s a perfect way to take your grilled cheese to the next level. This is how we’ll be melting ours from now on. 😋
Has your air fryer basket seen better days? Here’s a simple solution!