Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe (It’s Gluten-Free, Too!)
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This homemade pumpkin pie recipe is delicious even without the dairy and gluten!
If you’re in the mood for a yummy pumpkin pie and would like it to be vegan and gluten-free, listen up! I just made a delicious homemade pie that fits that criteria and it’s absolutely yummy!
It’s also fairly simple to make (read: not as difficult as you’d think). With a can of pumpkin puree and a few flour and dairy substitutions, you’ll be on your way to enjoying a homemade slice of pie in no time!
Hip recipe tips for making vegan pumpkin pie:
- If you have a pastry cutter, use that to incorporate the cold, vegan butter. If not, try using a fork to cut through the butter and flour mixture. The key is to not overwork the dough.
- You’ll need parchment paper to roll out pie dough. This gluten-free dough is a little on the sticky side, so you’ll want to roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper for ease.
- Try using unsweetened coconut milk in the pie filling. I bought the kind in the can, and it made a great pumpkin pie. You can also use almond milk instead.
- Don’t forget the vegan-friendly whipped cream! I bought a container of Tru Whip Vegan. It can be found in the frozen foods section in a tub next to the Cool Whip, and it’s excellent! Alternatively, you could whip up some full-fat coconut whipped cream from a can instead.
Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
yield: 10 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 60 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES
Buttery pie crust with a silky rich pumpkin filling, perfect for the holidays.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water
For the Pie Filling:
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut milk - from the can
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Don’t feel like buying specialty ingredients or making a from-scratch crust?
Grab a store-bought gluten-free and vegan pie crust in a pinch! I made a second pie filling recipe and poured it into a Wholly Wholesome brand pie crust I found in the freezer section. It was priced at just under $6 for 2 crusts, which I thought was a nice value, too. Taste-wise, it was good, however, I still preferred my homemade crust (it is buttery-tasting and denser)!
A vegan pumpkin pie dessert that all will LOVE!
Whether your family and guests are vegan, do not eat dairy, or are gluten-free (or even none of the above), try this simple and delicious pumpkin pie! We loved it! The crust has a great, flakey texture, and the sweet filling tastes very similar to traditional pumpkin pie!