Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe (It’s Gluten-Free, Too!)
This homemade pumpkin pie recipe is delicious even without the dairy and gluten!
If you’re in the mood for a yummy pumpkin pie and would like it to be vegan and gluten-free, listen up! I just made a delicious homemade pie that fits that criteria and it’s absolutely yummy!
It’s also fairly simple to make (read: not as difficult as you’d think). With a can of pumpkin puree and a few flour and dairy substitutions, you’ll be on your way to enjoying a homemade slice of pie in no time!
Hip recipe tips for making vegan pumpkin pie:
- If you have a pastry cutter, use that to incorporate the cold, vegan butter. If not, try using a fork to cut through the butter and flour mixture. The key is to not overwork the dough.
- You’ll need parchment paper to roll out pie dough. This gluten-free dough is a little on the sticky side, so you’ll want to roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper for ease.
- Try using unsweetened coconut milk in the pie filling. I bought the kind in the can, and it made a great pumpkin pie. You can also use almond milk instead.
- Don’t forget the vegan-friendly whipped cream! I bought a container of Tru Whip Vegan. It can be found in the frozen foods section in a tub next to the Cool Whip, and it’s excellent! Alternatively, you could whip up some full-fat coconut whipped cream from a can instead.
Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
yield: 10 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 60 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES
Buttery pie crust with a silky rich pumpkin filling, perfect for the holidays.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water
For the Pie Filling:
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut milk - from the can
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Don’t feel like buying specialty ingredients or making a from-scratch crust?
Grab a store-bought gluten-free and vegan pie crust in a pinch! I made a second pie filling recipe and poured it into a Wholly Wholesome brand pie crust I found in the freezer section. It was priced at just under $6 for 2 crusts, which I thought was a nice value, too. Taste-wise, it was good, however, I still preferred my homemade crust (it is buttery-tasting and denser)!
A vegan pumpkin pie dessert that all will LOVE!
Whether your family and guests are vegan, do not eat dairy, or are gluten-free (or even none of the above), try this simple and delicious pumpkin pie! We loved it! The crust has a great, flakey texture, and the sweet filling tastes very similar to traditional pumpkin pie!