TJ Maxx & Home Goods
Here at Hip2Save we love shopping at both TJ Maxx and Home Goods. Not only do they offer coupons and some of the best prices around, but it feels like a treasure hunt when shopping at these stores. From home decor finds to trendy clothing and high end brands that cost a fraction of the amount you'd pay at other stores, we just can't get enough of TJ Maxx and home goods, and could easily shop for hours!
Spruce up your home on the cheap!If you've ever shopped at TJ Maxx, or HomeGoods, you likely know that they offer fantastic deals on name-brand home decor, beautiful furniture, kitchen cookware, clothing, and lots more – with everyday prices up to 60% off. Their stylish selection and low prices are truly hard to beat! 😍
But what if we said you could be saving even more? Save big with our best T.J. Maxx and HomeGoods shopping tips that you may not know about!
1. Shop the clearance aisles of TJ Maxx first.Always shop the clearance sections first! You can usually find steals on serving dishes, linens, adorable coffee mugs, toys, clothing, and much more. In fact, we spotted dolls from brands like Our Generation, Jillian’s Closet, and more marked down to $12-$14 (regularly up to $22.99)!
We've also previously spotted Aerie panties marked down to just $1 (regularly up to $9.50), so be sure to check out the lingerie aisles if you're in need of bras and undies!
2. Know what the TJ Maxx shopping tag colors represent.T.J.Maxx, the prices you'll find while shopping are generally 20-60% below the regular prices at department or specialty stores. But what should you look for? Before shopping, here's a rundown of the different colored tags you might find throughout the store and what they mean:
- White Tags (no sticker): Regular price
- Purple Tag: Runway Collection items (see #4 below)
- Red Tag: Clearance price
- Blue Tag: Items with coordinating piece
- Yellow Tag: Final clearance price (found only in January & July – see #3 below)
Also, you may find clearance items that have double or triple red tags, which means the item has been marked down multiple times and is likely the lowest price it will be marked down to.
3. Shop yellow tags at T.J. Maxx in January and July.Because many items are already deeply discounted, T.J.Maxx doesn't offer storewide sales or coupons. However, at the end of popular seasons, stores need to clear out their seasonal inventory. The manager at my local T.J.Maxx told me that these storewide clearance events happen twice a year – in January and July (after Christmas and 4th of July) where items are marked with Yellow Tags.
She mentioned that this is the ONLY time you should find these yellow-tagged items throughout the store. BUT, if you happen to find a yellow-tagged item during any other time of the year, she said it's not supposed to be there (I would say you are one lucky duck... snag it before someone else does!).
4. Save hundreds by shopping The Runway Collection at TJ Maxx.Select T.J.Maxx stores have a department called The Runway (view all locations here) that’s filled with high-end designer styles without the high price tag (think European, contemporary and couture fashion).
These items have a Purple Tag and if you happen to find a Purple tagged item with a Red clearance sticker on the racks, that means you're scoring HUGE savings on a name-brand or designer item! As an idea, I found a $78 Tommy Bahama sweater marked down to just $18! 😱
5. Don't be shy to ask for a discount.When shopping for furniture, luggage, home decor and even food items, be sure to look for any dents, scratches, damaged packaging or other minor flaws. If you find an item with these imperfections, you can politely ask an employee if they will take an additional 10% or 15% off the price (will vary).
The manager at my local T.J.Maxx said they would be more than willing to offer a discount on items with imperfections, in addition to the 10% discount that cardholders get with their card (see tip #16).
6. Compare TJ Maxx and Home Goods prices with Amazon before buying.TJ Maxx and Home Goods lists "compare at" prices on their tags, but the prices may be a little inflated compared to stores like Walmart or Target. A handy way to make sure you're getting a good deal on cookware, clothing, or name-brand items is to quickly compare the prices at T.J.Maxx using the Amazon App before heading to the checkout lane.
Just scan the retail barcode in-store by clicking on the little camera icon within Amazon's App to see their current selling price. If the price is lower than Amazon, there's a good chance you're scoring a great deal!
As an idea, we found Hatchimals CollEGGtibles 2-pack + Nest sets priced at just $3.99, which seemed like a great price considering these sets sell for $7.99+ on Amazon!
7. Don't assume everything at TJ Maxx is a deal.As much as we love raving about T.J.Maxx and all of the glorious discounted finds inside, it’s important to remember that not everything is a deal.
We spotted these sneakers that look just like our favorite Mad Love shoes at Target and thought we found a cute alternative pair for less. WRONG! The T.J.Maxx shoes were marked at $24.99, which is more expensive than the Mad Love brand at their full price of $22.99 - not to mention that they often go on sale at Target!
8. Shop for men and juniors at Marshalls.If you’re shopping for men's or juniors' clothing, consider heading to Marshalls instead of T.J. Maxx. As mentioned here, Marshalls differentiates itself from T.J. Maxx by offering a full line of family footwear and an expanded men's department, as well as The CUBE, a department specifically for juniors.
9. Don't skip the gourmet food items in TJ Maxx.
Another misconception about T.J.Maxx and partner stores is that their food items are expired or close to expiring. On the contrary, these stores actually carry a variety of gourmet food items purchased in large quantities from popular stores (i.e. World Market & Whole Foods) and then offers them to you at a nice discount... and they're not expired or usually close to expiring!
T.J.Maxx often restocks their grocery section with really interesting and unique food items — and many are low-carb! We came across items like avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, and MCT oil, all for a fraction of the cost you'd pay at health stores. In fact, check out all the gourmet keto food finds we spotted at HomeGoods!
10. Score HUGE T.J. Maxx reusable bags for under a buck.They have a huge selection of reusable bags with SO many fun designs! These bags are so awesome as they are huge, come in so many cute styles, and are only $0.99 each! They also make great gift bags as are sturdy (and, ahem, are cheaper than most large gift bags!), so the recipient can reuse the bag themselves!
And, if you live near a store that's having a grand opening, be one of the first 500 customers to visit that store on opening day and you'll score a free reusable shopping bag of your own!
Other things we like to shop for at TJ Maxx:
1. Workout apparelT.J.Maxx seems to mix their selection of lesser-known (and less expensive) athletic brands with brand name workout gear. We found several super soft Reebok long-sleeve workout tops for just $12.99 - versus $45! Woohoo!
2. BeautyIn the beauty section at T.J.Maxx, you can find high-end brands, whether it’s cosmetics or hair care. They even have brand-name hot styling tools! Even though there are tons of displays to browse through, start at the clearance areas first. We previously scored Banana Boat Baby sunscreen spray SPF 50 for just $3 per bottle!
3. Rae Dunn farmhouse decorWe also love the Rae Dunn selection! We found cute farmhouse style dishware, mugs, cookware, holiday decor, and more at T.J.Maxx and HomeGoods!
11. View HomeGoods inventory without leaving home.HomeGoods store? Download the free HomeGoods app and you'll be able to see actual photos of select products that are sold at your local store! Just click on The Goods section in the app to take a peek inside a HomeGoods nearest you.
12. Take advantage of the TJ Maxx holiday return policy.Normally, you can return merchandise accompanied by a register receipt within 30 days of purchase for an exchange or refund in the original form of tender. However, if you're shopping in-store during October and December, you'll be able to take advantage of a longer return window!
- Purchases made between October 13, 2019 and December 24, 2019 may be returned through January 25, 2020. Their normal return policy will apply to all purchases made beginning December 26, 2019.
13. Senior citizens can get an extra 10% off at T.J. Maxx.T.J. Maxx may offer discounts up to 10% for senior citizens 55+ on certain days of the week at participating locations. We’ve heard that it’s mostly the stores in Florida that are participating in giving this 10% senior discount and that it’s only available on Mondays, but it never hurts to ask!
Want more senior discounts? Check out our huge list of more than 40 senior discounts at restaurants, hotels, and more!
14. Pay with discounted TJ Maxx and Home Goods gift cards.If you can plan ahead, consider buying a discounted T.J.Maxx gift card before heading in-store. Gift card sites like Raise.com sell discounted T.J.Maxx gift cards, so you can save a few bucks!
Want more gift card deals? Be sure to bookmark our gift cards page on Hip2Save!
15. Avoid the store rush and shop TJ Maxx, Sierra, and Marshalls online with free shipping.Want to be the first to know about home decor sales or interested in receiving special offers? Whenever you sign up for free T.J.Maxx emails or Sierra emails, you'll receive exclusive offers, early access, style tips - PLUS a promo code for free shipping on your first online order!
Not only can you shop online at T.J.Maxx and Sierra, but you can now shop on Marshalls.com for all your favorite clothing, home decor, shoes, and more. Even better, whenever you sign up to be a Marshalls Insider, you'll also get free shipping on your first order - no minimum! You'll also be the first to hear about new merchandise, tips, inspiration, grand openings, and more.
16. Making a big purchase? Get the TJX Credit Card.If you're planning to make a large purchase, consider signing up for the TJX Rewards Credit Card. By signing up, you'll receive a 10% off coupon valid off your first purchase that can be used immediately. Plus, for every $200 you spend (i.e. 1,000 points earned), you'll earn a $10 Rewards Certificate!
You'll also receive 5% back in rewards (five points for every dollar spent) every time you shop at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, or Sierra Trading Post (in-store & online) and 1% back in points (one point for every dollar) spent at other participating merchants who accept MasterCard.
Keep in mind that if you apply and are approved for the TJX Rewards Credit Card online, the 10% off coupon must be used toward an online purchase. If you apply and are approved through a mobile device or in-store, the 10% off coupon will be sent with your new credit card to use on an in-store purchase, valid for 30 days. You also must use your TJX Rewards Credit Card to use the offer.
Looking for home decor ideas & inspiration? We've got you covered!
Hide Expired Posts
Page 1 of 2