7 of the Best FREE Online Tax Filing Options
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Looking for free online tax filing options? Here they are!
Tax season is coming! Check out 7 of the best FREE online tax filing options available!
The Internal Revenue Service is expected to begin accepting 2021 tax returns at the end of January of 2022, so now is the time to start planning how you’ll file your 2021 federal income tax return. Planning ahead can help you file an accurate return and avoid processing delays that can slow your tax refund.
With COVID-19 still a concern and new stimulus payments to consider, this tax season won’t be a complete return to “normal,” but 2022 is expected to bring us more of a typical tax season than either 2020 or 2021 were, which both had extended filing deadlines due to widespread closures of IRS offices, tax courts, and filing services.
At this point, there is no indication that the filing deadline will be extended in 2022, so it’s a good idea to be ready to have your taxes (or an automatic extension) filed by Monday, April 18, 2022. So don’t wait! This year, the IRS is urging taxpayers to file electronically with direct deposit as soon as they have the information they need.
Below, we’re sharing a list of FREE electronic tax filing programs that are quick and easy to use, so you can check income tax filing off your to-do list in the most painless way possible!
Hip Tip: Although the IRS typically issues more than 90% of federal tax refunds within 21 days of accepting them, sometimes it can take longer than that to receive your money.
For as long as we can remember, TurboTax has been one of the easiest tax filing options to do from the comfort of your home. Unfortunately, Intuit has chosen not to renew its participation in the IRS Free File Program for the 2022 tax season, and it will no longer offer the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax.
The good news is that TurboTax will still allow taxpayers to file simple federal and state tax returns completely FREE with TurboTax Live Basic. Taxpayers must file by March 31, 2022 to be eligible for this offer.
Consider using FreeTaxUSA.com to e-file your Federal return directly with the IRS, and you can choose from their Basic, Advanced, Premium, or Self-Employed filing programs – all for free! Add a state return for just $14.99.
Hip Tip: This site has been highly recommended by our Hip2Save readers for its easy-to-use platform and no-nonsense pricing!
Filing with Cash App Taxes (formerly Credit Karma Tax) is as FREE as it gets! Head on over to Cash App Taxes to get started with your free federal AND state return. And if you filed with Credit Karma Tax last year, you can file even faster by importing your past returns from Credit Karma Tax.
Hip Tip: Don’t fear an audit! Cash App Taxes guarantees 100% accurate calculations, and you’re covered by their 100% FREE Audit Defense.
A free edition of eSmart Tax is available from Liberty Tax, although you can’t easily see this option from the company’s pricing page. Instead, you can start the filing process, and if you meet the requirements for free filing with Form 1040 EZ, you won’t be charged.
eSmart Tax ensures that you get your highest possible refund with a simple, step-by-step Q&A preparation. They also offer support via chat, email, social media, and in-person at 2,500+ offices.
Head over to TaxACT where you can file a simple federal tax return for FREE!
If you used a different service last year, it’s easy to switch to TaxAct from your previous online tax provider by uploading a PDF of your previous year’s return. Then, you’ll be able to prepare, print, and electronically file your tax return for free!
More Hip tips for finding free online tax filing options:
- If your income is $72,000 or less, you can head directly to IRS.gov and file your federal taxes for free!
- Check the daily deal sites. Groupon has offered up significantly reduced vouchers for online tax preparation products in the past, and they will likely have similar offers throughout the 2022 tax season.
- Ask your local college or university. One reader reported that the accounting students at her local college will complete tax returns for free. They’re then reviewed by the professor to ensure accuracy.
- The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide offers free help for older taxpayers and people with limited incomes. Find an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site in your community by visiting the AARP website.
- If you’re in the military, check out Military One Source for more information about the different tax filing resources available.
- Check for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) or Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites near you. Those who generally make less than $57,000 per year, persons with disabilities, limited English speaking taxpayers, and the elderly may qualify for assistance through the VITA and TCE Programs. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. Find a VITA Volunteer site in your community by visiting the IRS tax prep website.