This Sandwich Hack Using Hawaiian Rolls Works Great for Road Trips!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Check out this smart travel hack to remake a bunch of individual sandwiches using Hawaiian rolls.
Hit the road with some easy Hawaiian roll sandwiches for your cooler!
Last year I went on a long road trip and tried this genius prep-ahead sandwich hack that worked so great and was easy to do, so I had to share! This smart tip basically involves compiling one huge sandwich using King’s Hawaiian rolls, adding sandwich fixings, cutting up each sandwich, and then placing them back in the bag.
Well over the past year, this is now how I prep for just about all of our softball and baseball tournaments as well as day trips! It really has helped us not eat as much fast food, and I love these yummy sandwiches so much. I feel like they are the perfect size for kids and are so easy to make.
I tend to pair these sandwiches with this homemade zesty pasta salad for a delicious lunch on the go!
Put the sandwiches on top of a cooler and then when you’re hungry, each person can grab a couple of mini sandwiches for lunch and it’s all packed nicely together. So easy and smart!
How great is this idea for traveling, camping, the beach or lake days?!
These Hawaiian roll sandwiches were easy for everyone in my family to quickly grab a small individual sandwich in the car when hungry. I absolutely love this convenient idea and will be using it again for sure. It saved us from stopping to grab fast food, and tasted great!
As far as what goes in your sandwich, that’s up to you!
Steps for making Hawaiian roll sandwiches on the go:
1. Carefully slice the entire loaf of Hawaiian rolls horizontally.
2. Open and place sandwich fixings such as lunch meat and cheese on one side and lightly spread a little mustard and mayonnaise on the other side.
3. Put the top of the rolls back on, and then place it on top of the white cardboard packaging. Cut the individual sandwiches using a knife.
4. Carefully place the sandwiches back in the plastic bag and secure it with the tie.
5. Put the sandwiches on top in a cooler with ice or ice packs and then when you’re hungry each person can grab a couple of mini sandwiches for lunch and it’s all packed nicely together.
Now you’re all prepped and ready to roll!
I love little life tips like this that are convenient and easy to pull off. You can even make a few different sets of sandwiches for a larger crowd very easily. One of our readers even says she uses this exact method to prep ahead her kid’s school lunches for the week — SO smart!