How to Easily Clean Your Shower Curtain and Liner
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
How often do you clean your shower curtain?
Most experts advise that you wash your shower curtain and liner about once per month (every three months, at the very least). Mildew, soap scum, and grime can build up over time from all the moisture, soap, and general use and become… well – yucky!
Luckily, cleaning shower curtains and liners is easy, so don’t toss them when they start looking dirty! Follow our tutorial and easily clean your shower curtain and liner. The hardest part is taking off and on all those tiny shower hooks – we promise!
How to wash your shower curtain and liner:
You can wash most fabric shower curtains and plastic or polyester shower liners right in the washing machine! Here’s how:
- Place shower curtain and liner in the washing machine.
- Throw in a couple of bath towels (they will actually help wash the liner)!
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda with your detergent to your warm water wash cycle.
- Add 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle.
- Hang to dry.
Hip Tip: If your liner is REALLY moldy, consider washing it by itself with detergent and 1/2 cup liquid bleach.
How to keep your shower curtains cleaner longer:
- Promote fast drying. Stretch out the curtain after a shower, shake it, and allow it to completely dry out between showers. Place it on the outside of the tub, and turn on the bathroom fan to ventilate the air.
- Kill mold with vinegar. Make a homemade shower cleaner using half water and half vinegar (with a few drops of lemon essential oil to combat the vinegar smell). After showers, spray down the liner with the cleaner and stretch out the curtain to air dry well.
This mildew resistant shower liner is the BEST!
We switched to this Liba PEVA Antimicrobial PVC Free Shower Curtain Liner from Amazon, and we haven’t had any of the mold issues we’ve seen with the plastic liners. It’s easy to just throw in the wash, and it really does stay very clean. At just $10.99, it’s very affordable, too!
Love my shower curtain?
This Pottery Barn ruffle linen shower curtain isn’t available in my color anymore, but I did find this similar ruffle-bottom shower curtain on Amazon!