3 Ingredient Homemade Butterfingers

So last week I posted about a fun way to make use of all the candy corn lots of you may have and I also asked what YOU do with all that candy corn. Reader, Kelli, left a comment and a link regarding making homemade Butterfingers with candy corn. I checked out the site she linked to and was surprised to see how simple it looked AND how little ingredients were required. I was intrigued.

This homemade recipe requires 3 ingredients. Yep, just candy corn (which I’ve got on hand!), peanut butter (which I’ve got too much on hand! :) ) and chocolate candy coating (which I headed to the store for). Now check out how easy this recipe is!

Oh and before making this recipe, I want to warn you… so don’t say I didn’t. One word sums up this stuff – addicting. Very addicting. So addicting that it may become a problem. A serious problem.

3 Ingredient Homemade Butterfingers

You’ll need…
1 lb. candy corn
16 oz jar peanut butter
16 oz package of chocolate candy coating (in baking section)

Now just melt the candy corn in the microwave. You’ll want to do this gradually, in intervals, and stir occasionally as it continues to melt.  After it’s melted, mix in the jar of peanut butter. You will get a fantastic arm workout. Spread this mixture of deliciousness in an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper. Set aside and cool completely. Finally cut into squares or really whatever shape you like, then just dip in the melted chocolate candy coating. Lay on waxed paper to set. That’s it!

I doubled the recipe. Not a good idea.

(Thanks so much for sharing this highly addictive recipe, Plain Chicken!)

• Janae says:

We have made these twice in the past month at our home. VERY addicting!!!! Just make plans to take them somewhere outside of the home to share or you WILL eat them all! lol :-)
    I made mine a little different though. Spread the candy corn and peanut butter mixture in a baking pan and then poured the melted chocolate over the top. After they cooled a bit, I cut them and bars/squares. It is just a little easier (and faster if you are in a hurry)than cutting them dipping in chocolate and taste just as good!

• Does the candy corn taste like the butterfingers? Does it have that same flaky tendancy? Or is it basically melted candy corn dipped in chocolate?:) Butterfingers are my favorite!!! So, I had to ask! :)

• Denise from DE says:

Oh. My. Goodness. I’m heading for my kitchen immediately!

• Lolita says:

I saw her comment on that older post, and went to the link, and have been dreaming about making it ever since, lol. I’m on a diet so I was going to avoid it, but if I get an arm work-out while making it then I can probably assume that the calories and fat will be cancelled out, yay!!!

• Renee says:

So, you basically get 3 lbs of candy? Wow!

• janel says:

Looks too addictive! Lol

• Jennifer S. says:

We have made these as well, it is amazing how similar to butterfingers they taste. A great way to use up our free candy corn after tomorrow!

• julie says:

so much for loosing that baby weight!! Nom..nom..nom

• Jessica says:

okay, I wasn’t gonna do this either since I try not to eat too much junk…but I was just thinking that these would make great holiday gifts! get some pretty jars & fill them with homemade candy…cheap & creative!

• Sarah says:

Collin, was it REALLY necessary to post this? ;) I’m trying not to gain weight over here.

• Sunshine Saver says:

Guess I will give this a go! Butterfingers are a fav in our house!

• Dealzgurl says:

Wow, I’m really tempted to try this. I’m avoiding sweets like the plague so I’m going to try to resist this. I LOVE butterfingers!!!!

• maflies1 says:

Butterfinger candy bars were my hubby’s fav even when we were dating…48 years ago. My time flies! And I love them, too! Saw and printed this recipe when first posted last week, but haven’t made it, cause I really try to usually cook on the healthy side. But this did it, Collin! Got to go out Thursday a.m. anyway for a dental appt. and now some candy corn, I hope! Will have to leave early in hopes of getting some. Man, do they look wonderful.

And just read today that some dark chocolate every day is in fact good for you, in small amounts. And of course peanut butter is good for you. And if you cut them in small pieces-there you go. Take out your allottment and you’re good to go for the day. :-) At least I hope I will listen to me.

• Betsy says:

This sounds so good that after reading it, I went downstairs to my stockpile and grabbed a Butterfingers. Seriously. LOL Thanks Collin, we’ll be trying this!

• Emily says:

Get reduced fat peanut butter. Candy Corn is fat free. Other than the sugar content, this isn’t too bad for you…

• Robin says:

even reduced-fat, peanut butter is super caloric and only meant to be indulged about a tbsp at a time… not a jar, mixed with candy, covered in chocolate. one bar is probably a days worth of calories. I can’t believe you pissed that these aren’t that bad!

that being said… I will be doing this, lol :)

• leah says:

we roll them into balls. You can then use a toothpick to dip and its way less messy, and also bite size

• Amy says:

That’s an awesome idea!

• maflies1 says:

Great idea! I’m wondering if my cookie scoop would work pretty good for this also, and much less mess, as it releases the dough. And then I could just stick the toothpick in it. Gem of an idea Leah. Thanks so much. I love easy and less mess! :-)

• Cara says:

They look peanut buttery, but are they crispety and crunchety?

• Ali says:

I absolutely HATE candy corn….but I LOVE butterfingers….do these taste like candy corn? What could I substitute for the candy corn that would give the crunchy part of the butterfinger?

• I LOVE butterfingers and I also love recipes that are quick and easy….don’t we all?!?! I must try this recipe. Thanks for sharing Collin and Happy Halloween!! :)

Julie

• Sarah says:

I’m going to be giving these a try but, instead of dipping individually I’m going to cut them, place them on a rack with a tray underneath and pour the chocolate over them. That way all sides are chocolate covered but, it makes it SO much easier than dipping each one. Just a tip to save us all the most important thing…..time:) Happy Halloween:O

• Catie says:

I think I might try this in my food science class! Any information on how many servings the standard recipe makes?

• Laura says:

I can’t tell you how excited I am about this! I have been dairy free for about a month after I found out my 3 month old nursing son has a milk allergy. WELL… Candy corn is dairy free and I found a recipe to make my own candy coating which I am going to use with my So Delicious dairy free chocolate chips! I have been CRAVING a candy bar for about a week now and I so can’t wait to try this out! Thank, you, thank you!!! :)

• midget says:

Making true Butterfingers isn’t that much more difficult, and you get that awesome crispy, flaky texture. Plus, the ingredients are only sugar, butter and natural peanut butter. I just can’t seriously consider candy corn to be an ingredient (of anything worth making). Guess I’m a food snob.

• Ali says:

Midget: Could I get your recipe please?

• midget says:

Sure! It takes a little bit of experience to know what the candy should look like at certain points, but it’s really easy to make. I adapted this from of an old early 1980s Bon Appetit magazine clipping that my mother saved.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a jelly roll pan or large cookie sheet with sides. Melt 1 pound granulated sugar on stovetop, stirring constantly (don’t let it burn or get too dark, but make sure it’s fully melted). Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup butter. Doesn’t have to be mixed well. Pour mixture onto buttered cookie sheet. Dump 3/4 cup natural peanut butter (MUST be natural or you get a nasty nasty nasty mess – I use Adams) onto mixture. Take a rigid spatula and fold mixture over onto itself until the sugar gets too cold. Place sheet in oven until the sugar gets soft enough to fold again. Remove from oven and fold again. Repeat until mixture looks uniform – specifically until there are no areas of solid sugar (tooth-breakers!). It’ll probably be three or four rewarming cycles. Pat out into a uniform thickness. Score into squares (this candy can be very delicate, and rectangles may crumble). Even if the candy is too hot and the lines ooze back together, it should still break easily on the lines. I always dip mine in tempered milk chocolate (Trader Joe’s pound plus bars are excellent!). I don’t know how well spreading a chocolate layer on this candy would work. If not dipped, store in tightly closed container.

• Shari says:

I saw this on your earlier post, and was so excited! I like Butterfingers, but don’t much care for chocolate (I know, weird…) Anyway, I tried making them almost immediately, but dipped half in white chocolate for myself, and the rest in milk chocolate for the normal people out there. They were absolutely awesome! I shared them with everyone at work, and several even said they liked the white better! In fact, they were so good, that my mother-in-law ate ALL of them that I had left home for my husband to try. He pouted enough that I made a second batch last night!!! Thanks for sharing – you have forever changed the way I look at candy corn!

• Judy says:

I made the bars and they were a huge hit with my small group and my coworkers–taste and smell like Butterfingers! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now everybody else wants it. They better hurry if they want to find the candy corn. We found ours at Target clearance–thanks for the tip1

• Simone says:

I just made some yesterday and it is amazing !!!!! Thanks for sharing

• Beth says:

I printed this recipe off when you first shared it a few months ago, intending to include it in my Christmas goody plates. These are ah-mazing!!!! I thought they were just so-so last night, when I made them at first. But, now that the sugars have had time to completely cool- I am going to have to hide them! LOL!

• Sara says:

Bought a ton of Candy Corn on clearance for $0.25 a bag specifically for this recipe. It’s Christmas Eve and I am headed into the kitchen to make them! Can’t wait to try it. Sounds so yummy! And my oldest daughter is OBSESSED with Butterfinger. Can’t wait to see her face when she gets some of these tomorrow :-)

• FREDA BUTTERY says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe I love Butterfingers and Candy Corn so should work out great for me. Thanks . Freda

• Tyler says:

I’ve read through all of the comments and I can not find where the two people asking whether or not the this recipe leaves the candy bars crispy and crunchy like that actual Butterfinger bar or just semi-firm like candy corn. Is the texture the same?

• jrb says:

I made these for the first time today and the texture was not at all like a Butterfinger. The flavor is great but the bars have a good bit of “chew” to them. I came back to the website to read comments and see if I had made a mistake. I will try them again but I was disappointed in the texture for my first attempt.

• amber says:

wonder if they would work in a candy mold

• Bethany says:

Collin, you are an evil woman!!!!! ;)

• Ger says:

How did I miss this recipe last year??? My mouth is watering, have to make some today! Thanks Collin!!

• debva says:

The texture is not at all like a Butterfinger. I agree that they taste like one, but they are not crispety and crunchety like a Butterfinger. Still good, tho.

• Charity says:

If you want an idea on how it will taste- eat 2 candy corn with 2 PB M & M’s..lol SOOO GOOD!

• Nichole says:

Knowing the damage that this would do I made a half batch in a loaf pan. They are really good. Now if I could just maintain some self control seeing as I made them for my hubby, not me :)