The BEST Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 2.23.38 PM

So… my New Year’s Resolution of eating healthier in 2013 is definitely going well! Can ya tell? ;) Hey, I’m using whole wheat flour, and chocolate in moderation is good for ya, right?

If you are up for indulging in some delicious chocolate chip cookies over the weekend, you have got to try this recipe! This is definitely my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe EVER!

Soft and gooey chocolate chip cookies… it doesn’t get much better than that.

Now I can’t take the credit for this fabulous recipe… I’ve got to give it to Nestle. On the back of the Nestle Toll House chocolate chips package is a recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I do tweak mine a bit to make them a little “healthier” and they always turn out so delicious! And if I can make these turn out so good, you can too!

The Best EVER Chocolate Chip Cookies

Screen Shot 2013-01-18 at 2.01.35 PM

* Here’s the direct link to this recipe if you want to print or save it.

I also opted to sub all whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour called for.  And they surprisingly still turned out fantastic! I didn’t add nuts to my cookies either. I have a not so nut lovin’ hubby in my household.

I’ve definitely learned throughout the years that some of the most basic recipes, can end up being the ones that you make over and over and over again. And this is one of those for me! :)

Enjoy!

• ap says:

Is anyone else having a FRIENDS flashback :)

• Bridget says:

I like cookies w/ whole wheat flower better. I’m not usually a whole weat person either.

• Tina says:

Collin….I have a recipe that also includes peanut butter. It is all whole what flour also. It is yummy! Just proves healthy can have good flavor!

• Danielle R says:

I am now ;)

• Jennifer says:

Love your blog! My mom always made Nestle Tollhouse recipe growing up and we loved them–however, I have in more recent years discovered this Crisp and Chewy Chocolate Chip recipe by Martha Stewart. I highly encourage you to try them…or not if you don’t want to eat them all! LOL:) The texture is completely different and so yummy—my family ONLY makes these now! http://www.marthastewart.com/346831/crisp-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies

• Susan says:

The BEST is the Neiman Marcus $5000 recipe.

• midget says:

Grind up oats and substitute for part of the flour; that’s my favorite.

Is corn oil margarine still manufactured? I’ve not seen it in years, and it made the best textured awesome chewy cookies ever. Butter has a better flavor, but it makes most drop cookies either too soft (underbaked) or fully crispy. And mixed vegetable or canola margarines just taste gross baked. Crisco is okay, but doesn’t have the flavor.

• mary says:

I think these are the best too :)

• Jess says:

I always use the Tollhouse recipe (straight up unhealthy style:) and found that if I refrigerate my dough it makes these awesome cookies even more awesome!

• Racine says:

This is the recipe I’ve used forever!! Only we use 1 stick of crisco instead of butter and we’ve never used nuts. we also use a whole bag of chocolate chips

• mel says:

LOL ap! That’s one of my favorite Friends!

Not gonna lie, Nestle was always my “go to” recipe, but I found an even better one on All Recipes a few years ago and OMG… soo yummy. I think having a really good vanilla makes all the difference (I am so in love with prepared pantry’s madagascar bourbon vanilla, it has taken my baking to a whole new level!) Just search on All Recipes “Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie” and follow the directions exactly. If you don’t want big cookies, just drop by rounded tablespoons instead to get more servings.
    Sometimes I add part all purpose flour with whole wheat & almond flour or sometimes all purpose w/almond flour (or whole wheat w/almond flour) Just depends. But no matter, they don’t last a day in my house!

• Di says:

I find that if you put them in the refrig for about an hour before you bake them they come out PERFECT.

• Starla says:

UM, YUM. That’s it! A picture is worth a thousand words!!!!!

• m.J. Dixon says:

That Real Salt sea salt is my staple item. i love that stuff.

• Lila says:

I thought you were still doing Paleo! What happened?

• I am in some ways. I try to eat mainly veggies, fruits and lean protein. However, the 3 kiddos and the hubby sure enjoy treats on occasion. I have also learned to have more balance and to not feel that certain foods have to be completely off limits. When they are, I tend to binge on those exact foods! ;)

• Laura Herrera says:

Whats life it you dont enjoy everything it has to offer….besides when we are dead and gone your kids will remember when you enjoyed chocolate chips together as a family….Like you say everything in life is a balance! Thanks for the recipe!

• Lana says:

You are so right. I am in my 50′s now but I remember very fondly the winter evenings when my Mom made fudge and we all took turns beating it by hand. There has never been better fudge.

• Laura says:

I agree, Laura Herrera. I fondly remember my mother making cakes for no special occasion. My brother and I were never overweight and thinking about those cakes always brings a smile to my face.

• K Crew says:

So funny, I just used this same recipe last night for the first time. They are very good. I have always used other recipes. So far, I have a hard time finding a chocolate chip cookie I haven’t liked!

• Nicole says:

I loved this recipe for years and really like the Neiman Marcus recipe as well. My new favorite are strobel cookies found on bakeitandloveit.blogspot.com and they taste great because of the dark brown sugar used. It is important to use dark and does make a difference in the taste. Enjoy any cookies that you make!!

• Kristina says:

I don’t buy brown sugar anymore. White sugar plus molasses = brown sugar. If you’re using a good stand mixer, just toss both in with the other ingredients. Otherwise, you put them in a bowl and use a fork to combine them. Yum! I’m sure mine counts as extra dark brown sugar.

• TAMI says:

I wish I could make these no matter how hard I try I cant get chocolate chip cookie to come out they are always like little cakes. Maybe Ill try the fridge tip first!

• Jenny says:

Look tasty!!! I’m baking these tonight. :)

Did Collin quit Paleo?! I haven’t seen any recipes in a long time?!

• misti says:

yes refridgerate the dough a bit. sometimes i put the cookie sheets in the freezer too. I think it has to do with the butter staying harder and the don’t flatten like pancakes. i also start watching them after 8-9 minutes. they’ll keep cooking a little once you take them out so i take them out while they’re a tad under cooked.

• Heather says:

I agree with the Neiman Marcus recommendation (same recipe as Mrs. Fields, the ground oatmeal and ground chocolate really make them special), also the Cook’s Illustrated has a top notch recipe as well. I always use milk chocolate chips, they make a really yummy difference!

• Madason says:

My mother can not stand homemade chocolate chip cookies. But I love them so yeah but maybe I can make just one or two or maybe three

• Valerie says:

I also LOVE this recipe but when I moved above 10,000 feet I couldn’t get it to work. For all of your high altitude hipsters here’s my tweaked Tollhouse recipe:

2 1/2 C flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    14 TBS butter (2 sticks MINUS 2 TBS)
    3/4 C MINUS 2 TBS sugar
    3/4 C MINUS 2 TBS brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs

I follow the instructions on the bag and with these changes they will turn out perfect even at high altitude!

• Lana says:

I am so glad to know that whole wheat turns out well. I use the whole wheat flour from Trader Joe’s and it is so fresh and good.

• Kristina says:

My favorite is this one… http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/best-chocolate-chip-cookies/detail.aspx

• Julie says:

Oh Collin, this post is gonna put me over the edge! I’ve been trying to fight the urge but it’s no use- cookies tonight at my house. LOL

• cathy says:

remove 1/4 of the flour and use oatmeal. taste the same and better for you

• Pinky says:

I actually made these standard Nestle cookies earlier today, lol.

• krista says:

Ok, I make the Nestle recipe all the time and mine look nothing like that. Mine turn out so flat and thin. What am I doing wrong? I’ve tried using really cold butter, adding more flour, and refrigerating cookie dough before baking, but cant get anything to work. All you bakers out there… HELP!!!!

• valerie says:

I would’ve said add more flour. Do you live at a higher altitude? Check out my tweaked recipe above if so. Mine kept turning out flat before I changed the recipe. Or perhaps try less butter?

• Jill says:

The best way I’ve found to keep them from flattening is to use Crisco shortening instead of butter. I like the flavor of butter though, so in recent years I usually use half butter, half shortening. I usually add 1/2 to 1 cup extra flour per recipe, too. Also, use a stand mixer if you have one, and a hand mixer if you don’t. Hand mixing doesn’t put enough “fluff” into the dough and they’ll be flatter. Hope this helps – love Tollhouse cookies! :)

• Jenny says:

Check the temp of your oven, if there cooking closer to 300 degrees they’ll flatten…….

• KJ says:

Just tried out the Tollhouse recipe today. The only change I made was substituting cornstarch for the baking soda. Cookies were fluffy but for some reason the bottom of the cookies were overdone. I used nonstick baking sheets. Any suggestions?

• Kellie says:

My husband makes the chocolate chip cookies in our house. He basically uses the Toll House recipe with a couple of variations. One change that makes them a bit healthier is instead of using 2 sticks of butter, just use one stick and 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce. They turn out yummy and it’s nice to know the fat has been cut in half. Also, the applesauce gives them a cake-like texture

• Heather C. says:

I have a question for all you bakers out there… Does it really make a big difference if you use real butter or stick margarine when making cookies? Also, can you freeze butter? I never have any on hand because I don’t use it… but if I could store a box of it in the freezer that would be handy. :)

• Elisa Suarez says:

I really love bisquick chocolatechip cookie recipe.

• Darcie says:

“chocolate in moderation is good for you, right?” Haha, I love Collin :) Actually, its just dark chocolate that has some health benefits. So you could try this with some dark chips instead!

• renee says:

Funny, I just baked some of the same cookies, minus the whole wheat flour before work last night! They are my favorite too!! You can’t beat Toll House cookies and a glass of milk!

• Mandy says:

Add malt powder to your next cookie batter and you will never go back. Just adds an awesome extra flavor!

• Gracie F says:

DoubleTree Hotel Chocolate Chip Cookies are one of my favorite!

• Linda Phelps says:

Ha ha ha! I am known far and wide for my “special” chocolate chip cookies and never reveal the secret. They are made with the Nestle Tollhouse recipe substituting the margarine with butter-flavored Crisco. And I always use a cookie scoop so they are all the same size and turn out perfect every time.
    \

• Linda Phelps says:

I like the Choc-Oat Chip Cookies from the Quaker box, too. Yum.

• Betsy says:

I just made these with just whole wheat and my family thinks they are good. My husband says if I were to put nuts in they would be more distracting and no one would notice the difference. Thanks for the suggestion!