Play This Hilarious Saran Wrap Ball Game at Your Holiday Party
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Need a FUN-for-all-ages game?
You’ve gotta check out this popular Saran wrap ball game that’s sure to take over every holiday party this Christmas and New Year’s Eve! Participants essentially unwrap fun prizes layered inside a giant ball of plastic wrap. It creates so much laughter and silly fun, and the best part is anyone can join in at any age!
It’ll become a fun tradition that’s sure to liven up the PAR-TAY!
Easy to customize for each crowd
For instance, if it’s a kids party, you can include small toys and trinkets geared towards them. If it’s a more mature crowd, you can throw in some money, lotto cards, and funny gag gifts. And if the entire family is participating, just create a ball with fun items ALL will enjoy! I promise there’s nothing funnier than aunt Karen getting rowdy over a $5 bill. 🤣
Hip Tip: Be sure to check out stores like the Dollar Tree, or re-purpose leftover Halloween candy if you have any. You may even already have small gifts, nail polish, travel-sized beauty items, etc. in your gift closet at home!
First Step: Roll up prizes in a ball!
Start by placing your prizes on a roll of plastic wrap and just keep rolling and layering. You can even make sure the most expensive gift is in the middle by wrapping that first, and then wrapping everything else around it. It’s all up to you. Also, instead of wrapping in a continuous roll, create some separate sheets, so it’s a little more challenging!
Hip Tip: You can re-purpose newspaper, plastic grocery sacks, and painters tape instead as a more eco-friendly option if you don’t want to use plastic wrap.
Easy Filler Ideas:
- small toys, squishy toys, key chains, party favors
- money, lotto tickets, small gift cards
- cozy socks, hand warmers, mittens
- small containers of play dough or slime
- travel-sized beauty products, bath bombs, hair accessories
- noisemakers and holiday accessories
- hot chocolate packets
- non-breakable Christmas ornaments
How to play the Saran Wrap ball game
Grab a set of dice, your wrapped ball, and friends/family who want to join in!
- Have everyone sit in a circle, and decide which direction the ball will go, and also who will start.
- One person starts unwrapping the ball, while the next person sitting next to them rolls the dice. Once he/she rolls doubles, they’ll get their turn to unwrap the ball, and the dice will then go to the next person.
- The whole point is to roll doubles quickly to get your turn, and players get to keep the goodies they unwrap.
- The person who ends up with the ball at the end gets to keep the big prize at the center of the ball.
Try these FUN variations!
- Have participants wear mittens or oven mitts.
- Wrap ball using Press-n-Seal instead of plastic wrap. It’s harder to unwrap!
- For little kids, use a timer instead of dice to make sure everyone gets a turn.
- Play Christmas music and start/stop the music instead of dice.
- Wrap the items first in paper to make gifts more of a surprise.
- Try placing a blindfold around the person unwrapping.
Read these CREATIVE Ideas from other Hip2Save Readers:
“We played this last year at Christmas and put our ultrasound picture in the middle. We told the family there was an extra special prize in the middle! It’s how we told the family we were expecting our first child!” – Kathryn
“I also use a mix between plastic wrap, foil, wrapping paper, and a diaper for the center. I have found that if you do one continuous piece, some people know to grab an end and yank real hard and they get a lot of prizes. By using different mediums and layers, the ball lasts a bit longer so everybody gets several turns!” – Kay
“We do this at my work Christmas party every year. It’s the highlight of the night. Because there are 50+ people, we are split into 2 teams. My boss wraps a piece of paper in various items, paper, duct tape, electrical tape, painters tape, fishing line, etc., and we have a race between the two teams to see who finishes first. The winning team gets bragging rights, and whoever unwraps the piece of paper saying you win gets a special prize!” – Sarah
Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime! To see all of Lina’s DIY/Crafts created just for Hip2Save, click here.