Save Money by Blending up an Acai Bowl Recipe at Home
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Skip the pricey cafes and make this beautiful acai bowl recipe at home.
Love fresh fruit smoothies or smoothie bowls as a delicious treat?!
You’ve gotta try making creamy smoothie acai bowls or smoothie bowls at home topped with yummy nut and granola toppings. Smoothie bowls are a great way to use up fruit that is about to go bad to avoid food waste. Each person can customize their own bowl as a fun breakfast recipe or snack idea.
Did you know Acai berries are found in South America and are packed with antioxidants and vitamins?
They are high in fiber & calcium and are sometimes referred to as “purple gold” for their superfood qualities. Luckily frozen packets of acai are easy to find in grocery stores within the frozen fruit section.
Save money by making this at home and avoiding spendy juice bars or food trucks!
My teens often ask to buy acai bowls at our neighborhood juice bar. The only downside is they can be pricey at $10-$15 per bowl. We decided to try making our own Instagram-worthy version for the entire family at home and LOVED the result. The most fun part is adding the topping according to taste.
If you’re looking for a yummy granola recommendation, I am using this Bear Naked brand in the cocoa & cashew butter flavor, and wow it’s delicious!
Tips for making this acai bowl recipe:
- Use frozen fruit and yogurt for a thicker consistency. The point of smoothie bowls is to be kinda thick like sorbet. To get this consistency, start with frozen fruit. You can add a little juice or milk instead of yogurt but be careful not to add too much. You can freeze fresh fruit first, or buy it already frozen in the store.
- Use a high-powered blender like Vitamix or a food processor for best results. Frozen fruit can be trickier to whip up, and I’ve successfully done it using either of those machines.
- Consider other frozen fruits! We enjoy acai berry packets that can be found in the frozen fruit aisle. However, this idea can be adapted to your family, and you can use lots of different frozen fruits such as strawberries, pineapple, mango, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
- Check out the bulk food bins of your grocery store for toppings! You can buy small amounts of items like chia seeds, granola, nuts, or dried coconut if you don’t want to buy full packages of those items.
Acai Berry Smoothie Bowls
yield: 2 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
Creamy frozen acai packets with your choice of berries, nuts, and granola toppings.
- 2 - 3.5 oz. packs of frozen acai or frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana sliced & frozen
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- any desired topping such as: granola, dried coconut, sliced fruit, chia seeds, etc.
We are BERRY obsessed with DIY acai smoothie bowls!
I love all these beautiful fruit flavors and textures. It’s a feast for the eyes too, isn’t it? This could be a fun after-school snack, breakfast, or special treat. You could make a green smoothie bowl and include spinach and avocado for a different variation.
Curious about my vintage lotus bowls? I collect them at thrift shops, but you can check Etsy.com to grab some for yourself!
Here’s how my teammate Sara serves up her favorite acai bowl:
“I like to add Perfect Keto Nut Butter on top and the açaí makes it harden almost immediately like ice cream. It tastes so good and the consistency reminds me of a chocolate peanut butter swirl with the big chunks of swirl.”