Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Panera Bread Copycat Recipe)
Like Panera Bread’s broccoli cheddar soup? Try our easy copycat recipe!
Cooler weather is coming, and that means layering up in a cozy sweater and filling your belly with all your favorite comfort foods! For my family, this time of year means lots of hearty soups for lunch and dinner.
One of my all-time favorite soups is broccoli cheddar, and Panera Bread has an awesome version! This copycat recipe is so creamy and delicious, and it tastes so much like the restaurant version. Making this soup at home not only saves money, but it’s also really easy with these simple ingredients.
Eating keto? We also have a low carb version of this Panera broccoli cheddar soup recipe on Hip2Keto.com!
Tips for making this Panera Bread copycat broccoli cheddar soup:
- To keep the texture of your soup smooth and creamy, I suggest shredding your own sharp cheddar cheese. It melts so much creamier and smoother. Pre-shredded can work in a pinch but can sometimes add a grainy texture to soups because of the additives.
- I used an immersion hand blender like this one for a few seconds to puree it a bit, but that is definitely optional if you prefer a chunkier texture. You could also blend half of it using a blender.
- Bread bowls are an optional but awesome addition to this recipe! I was able to buy some yummy sourdough bread bowls at my local grocery store in the bakery department. You can also actually buy bread bowls at Panera Bread, or make your own!
- Consider grabbing Rhodes frozen bread dough and then using it to bake inexpensive bread bowls. For just around $2, you can make 4-6 bread bowls, and it could not be easier! Making your own freshly-baked bread bowls is the perfect complement to this hearty soup, plus there’s no better smell in the world than bread baking in your own kitchen, right?
- Store any leftovers you may have in the fridge for up to 3 days as it’s yummy reheated the next day! Although I have not personally tried it, soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in a sealed container or bag.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Panera Copycat Recipe)
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup copycat recipe is so creamy and delicious just like the Panera restaurant version!
- 1 tablespoon and 1/4 cup butter, separated
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 lb. fresh broccoli florets (about 3 cups, chopped)
- 1 large carrot, thinly grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups (1 pint) half & half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 bread bowls for serving (optional)
There’s something special about a warm bowl of creamy soup to curl up with, and this recipe doesn’t disappoint!
It’s still great even if you skip the bread bowl. You could instead pair your broccoli cheddar soup with a salad and some crusty bread. It’s a complete meal and the perfect comforting choice for a chilly day! This soup is always a hit with my family, and hope yours will love it, too.