Copycat Chick-fil-A Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker!
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Save earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Chick-fil-A tortilla soup is a popular seasonal soup that’s actually easy to make at home in your Crock-Pot!
Ever tried the delicious chicken tortilla soup from Chick-fil-A?
It features shredded chicken and white and black beans in a white creamy soup base with corn and green chiles. I love that this soup is topped with crispy corn tortilla strips, and has lots of spicy flavors.
Check out our very own Stetson on Instagram as he shares a funny party hack of buying a bunch of this soup from the restaurant and filling a Crock-Pot with it to take to a potluck. 😂
At Chick-fil-A, the soup is priced at $3.99 per cup so a full 6-quart Crock-Pot could cost above $90! Yikes! But we came up with a way to make a similar soup recipe made from scratch to fill your Crock-Pot for around $23 for 6 quarts. 🙌
Make this copycat Chick-fil-A seasonal soup all year, and on Sundays too!
If you ever crave this soup and it’s a Sunday or not in season, then this recipe is for you! The restaurant offers chicken tortilla soup only during the colder winter months, and now you can make it year-round at home using the slow cooker to feed the whole family.
This batch makes about 6 quarts of a hearty bean and shredded chicken soup, which would be perfect to bring to a carry-in or to make and have leftovers for the week!
Tips for making Chick-Fil-A tortilla soup in the Crock-Pot:
- Navy beans are recommended and are what is used in the Chick-fil-A version, but I could not find any at my local store. I grabbed some Great Northern beans instead which also turned out great!
- Take note of the optional step of using a stick hand blender after cooking to mash up the soup a bit. I wanted to create a thicker less brothy smooth texture, so gave it a few whirls with the blender. You could also mash some of the beans instead before placing them in the slow cooker instead.
- I also decided to add a little masa corn flour to thicken and give it that yummy corn tortilla flavor. The Chick-fil-A version has an awesome corn tortilla flavor as well.
- Leftover soup will last in the fridge for up to 4 days in a container in the fridge and reheats well in the microwave. Save some of your leftover broth to add as desired in case it gets too thick the next day.
- In case you’re curious by the ingredient pictures, I wanted to mention I used frozen crushed garlic in this recipe. Have you seen them yet at the grocery store or Trader Joe’s? They come in frozen garlic clove shapes and are perfect to pop in slow cooker meals. Of course, you can mince fresh garlic too!
Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
yield: 18 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 4 HOURS
total time: 4 HOURS 15 MINUTES
A hearty shredded chicken soup with beans, corn, and lots of southwest chile flavor.
- 2-3 raw chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (fresh or frozen like mine)
- 3 - 15.5 oz. cans navy or great northern beans, drained
- 15.25 oz. can black beans, drained
- 14.5 oz. canned corn, drained
- 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 oz. can hot hatch chiles (or mild green chiles if desired)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- garnish idea: cilantro & tortilla strips
- 1/8 cup masa flour (*optional for thickening)
Add the chicken, diced onion, bell pepper, and cilantro and garlic to the slow cooker.
Drain and rinse the beans and pour them into the slow cooker. Add the corn, green chiles, diced tomatoes, seasonings, and chicken broth.
Stir and cook on HIGH for about 4 hours or LOW for around 8 hours until the chicken is tender and ready to shred.
Shred the chicken with two forks and mix the soup well. Add the cream, and stir.
Optional: Use a stick hand blender to blend for a couple of seconds.
Stir in the masa flour to thicken. Serve as desired with tortilla strips and extra cilantro. Enjoy!
This simple slow cooker meal rocks and I’m so glad to be able to make it at home!
We randomly ordered this popular seasonal soup this year at Chick-fil-A for the first time after not being in the mood for fried chicken. I immediately LOVED it so much, and am now a big fan. Making a similar version at home makes so much sense and I hope you love it too.
Here’s what my teammate Emily had to say about this Chick-Fil-A chicken tortilla soup:
“If you’re looking for the perfect soup recipe, this is it! I made this for my parents and they couldn’t get enough of it. The flavor profile has just the right amount of spice. We topped it with shredded cheese and sour cream. It was so tasty!”
Make these fantastic jalapeno popper chicken taquitos in the Crock-Pot next!
Oh I can’t wait to make this soup!!
I loved Crock Pot recipes ♥️ Thank U so much!!
Oh yay! Enjoy this one!
Thank you for sharing this recipe! We made it for dinner tonight…it was delicious!! 🙂
Ohhh yay! That is so awesome. Thanks for coming back to let us know Amy!
Yum! It’s like a Mexican style version of a family favorite white chili recipe! Will definitely be going in the soup rotation. Thank you