Make the BEST Jalapeño Popper Chicken Taquitos in Your Crockpot!
Love jalapeño poppers with cream cheese as an appetizer?
Well, if those flavors are appealing to your taste buds, you’ve gotta try making this cream cheese chicken taquitos recipe in the Crockpot slow cooker to create crispy delicious spicy taquitos at home. This is sort of a two part process to throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker and then roll up and bake the taquitos, but I promise it’s so simple and well worth the effort!
The result is a crispy tortilla on the outside and the most AH-MAZING cheesy creamy spicy chicken filling on the inside! My family is seriously OBSESSED with this Crockpot recipe, and I think yours will be too!
I think this could be a wonderful freezer meal prep idea!
Here’s how’d I accomplish this: Consider compiling these taquitos and freezing them on top of a sheet pan instead of baking right away. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag, and then heat them up a few at a time in the air fryer until browned and cooked! Genius.
Tips for making the BEST Crockpot jalapeño popper chicken taquitos:
- You can use corn tortillas if desired instead, but make sure to warm them up in the microwave first so they’ll be easier to work with. I prefer using flour tortillas, so I guess these should technically be called chicken flautas. But whatever you call them, they are delicious! I think even making simple tacos with this filling would be yummy too!
- Feel free to change up the chicken filling ingredients as desired. For instance, I added 1/4 cup of sliced jalapeños for flavor, but you could omit or add in green chiles for a less spicy take.
- I seasoned my chicken using Mexican-inspired ground spices, but you could add a taco seasoning packet instead as a shortcut idea.
- I have made this in the past using onion & chive cream cheese instead of plain and that was delicious too!
- If you cook the filling and think there’s too much liquid, shred the chicken well and keep cooking a tad longer with the lid open. The liquid will cook down a bit!
- Consider serving alongside your favorite salsa, guacamole, sour cream, etc. I topped mine with chopped cilantro and this yummy guacamole salsa.
Jalapeño Popper Chicken Taquitos
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 4 HOURS 20 MINUTES
total time: 4 HOURS 40 MINUTES
Shredded jalapeño popper-flavored chicken gets rolled in tortillas for delicious & slightly spicy chicken taquitos!
- 3-4 raw chicken breasts (2 lbs total)
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced jalepeños, from the jar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 20 mini flour tortillas (6-inch taco size)
- 8 oz. bag of shredded Mexican blend cheese
- non-stick cooking oil spray
These chicken jalapeño popper taquitos are a must-try idea!
They have a little bit of a kick but are not super spicy. We love a few of these as an easy dinner, but you can make a tray as a yummy appetizer too! My kids love these so much and enjoy dipping their homemade taquitos in sour cream.
Warm-up any leftovers in the air fryer for a few minutes and they are fantastic to eat during the week for quick meals.
See what my teammate Jenna had to say after making this chicken taquitos recipe:
“Well, the whole family loved these and we are all officially big fans! I LOVE how easy it was to throw everything in the slow cooker. These also reheat really nicely in the oven the next day. I think fresh jalapeños could be awesome in this recipe but jarred sure makes it easier with less prep. I found it super easy to use a hand mixer to shred the chicken up. The whole process was super easy and the flavor was amazing! I will definitely be making these again since everyone ate them up!”