Make Homemade Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread!
Anyone here LOVE Nutella as a treat?
If so, this homemade version of everyone’s beloved Nutella spread is insanely YUMMY and is fairly simple to make using a food processor and whole hazelnuts. This was my first time making homemade nut butter like this and I can tell you it tastes even better than the store-bought jar!
The result is a creamy, dreamy spread that’s not overly sweet, but rich-tasting using whole roasted hazelnuts. Spread some on a crepe for breakfast, use as a dip for strawberries, or make a loaf of homemade Nutella swirl banana bread! YUM.
Tips for making the best homemade Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread:
- Don’t want to use coconut oil? No worries you can use another neutral oil such as canola oil.
- My grocery store didn’t have whole hazelnuts, but I was able to easily find some in the bulk foods at my local Sprouts farmers market.
- Store your hazelnut spread in a jar with a lid on the counter for up to two weeks. You can store in the fridge, but the texture will thicken because of the coconut oil, so just set the jar on the counter to soften.
Homemade Nutella Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
yield: 20 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 35 MINUTES
Hazelnuts are roasted in the oven and then placed in a food processor with chocolate and coconut oil to make a delicious homemade version of Nutella!
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil + 1/2 teaspoon additional coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Grab a spoon and dig into this rich chocolatey hazelnut spread!
This recipe was simple to pull-off and the effort was well worth it for how awesome this tastes. I think it could be a fun recipe idea to make with the kids too.
My family was super impressed with this copycat Nutella and I think yours will be too! Enjoy!
Check out my teammate Jenna’s reaction after making this copycat Nutella hazelnut spread:
“Let me start off by saying I am super picky when it comes to hazelnut spread. Not all hazelnut spreads are created equally, but homemade?! WOW! I never even thought of doing that! We go through so much Nutella, so I knew the kids would appreciate a large batch of fresh, homemade hazelnut spread. The flavor is rich, creamy, and everything Nutella should be!
This process works out beautifully and I love that it thickens up a bit after sitting. I let mine cool overnight and it was great in the morning. After seeing Lina’s picture of it drizzled over the crepe and strawberries has me thinking I need to make crepes ASAP!”