Marinated Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado is the Perfect Summer Snack!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Need a refreshing summer party dish? Make a Mexican shrimp cocktail appetizer!
This yummy tomato juice marinated shrimp and avocado mixture is bursting with bold flavors like lime, onion, and cilantro, and can be enjoyed by itself with a fork, or to enjoy as a dip using tortilla chips or saltine crackers. I sometimes even serve this shrimp on top of tostada shells for an easy lunch idea!
Hip Tip: Skip the chips or slice some crunchy jicama for a low-carb dipper, and then this would be a keto-friendly appetizer too!
However you decide to serve this Mexican shrimp cocktail, it’ll be super popular and disappear fast! Every time this is shared at our family gatherings, it’s a big hit! I love that it is an easy and smart way to turn a bag of frozen shrimp into something special.
This Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipe is so easy to make at home and each ingredient can be adjusted or modified to taste!
Feel free to use this Mexican shrimp idea as a suggestion and make it your own! I added a little hot sauce for an added kick, but you could add chopped jalapeño for even more of a kick. It’s all up to you to taste and season as desired to your liking!
For a sweeter version, my mom actually adds corn and a little honey to hers.
Tips for making the best Mexican shrimp cocktail:
- For best results, you’ll want to make this and let it marinate in the fridge for a few hours in a covered container so all the flavors have a chance to hang out together. Then chop the avocados and add in right before serving.
- I used some Clamato clam and tomato juice cocktail because I do like the yummy salty flavor, but I have used V8 tomato juice before and it works too.
- I added a can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes because it’s less chopping and more flavorful, but feel free to sub in a couple of fresh tomatoes.
- This would make a perfect make-ahead potluck or picnic item to go! Just store in a tightly sealed container with a lid in the fridge or cooler and then chop the avocados and add when ready to serve.
- This dish is best eaten the same day for the best texture with the avocado. It will last in the fridge though in a container for a couple of days. I ate some leftovers on a tostada shell for lunch the next day and it was still tasty, but the texture on the avocado changes a bit.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 20 MINUTES
Marinated shrimp in tomato juice with chopped cilantro, tomatoes, onion, and avocado for a spiced-up version of this classic appetizer.
- 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp, defrosted, tails off
- 14.5 oz. diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 a bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 cup clam tomato juice (such as Clamato)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 avocados, chopped
Yum! I love this fresh-tasting appetizer so much. 🍤
It’s both beautiful to look at and delicious to eat! Make this for your next potluck or dinner party, and then be sure to let me know how it goes.
I love hearing from you all after you’ve been inspired to make something for your family that I’ve shared. 🥰
Here’s what my teammate Jenna had to say after making Mexican shrimp cocktail:
“This is so fresh and delicious; I want to eat it all the time! We had it with tortilla chips and pita chips and I couldn’t get enough. I used to get a similar shrimp cocktail as an appetizer at my sister’s favorite restaurant and this was even better! I can’t believe how easy it was to throw together. Two thumbs way up!”