How to Make Overnight Steel Cut Oats in the Slow Cooker
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Love steel cut oats as a comforting breakfast idea?
Let your Crock-Pot slow cooker do the work overnight and wake up to a nice warm bowl of creamy overnight steel cut oats! This oatmeal recipe provides such a yummy and EASY way to prepare a healthy and filling breakfast – perfect for a lazy weekend morning or a busy weekday morning.
Why steel cut oats?
They give more bang for your buck nutritionally speaking, and are hearty and filling. Steel cut oats are higher in fiber and iron than traditional rolled oats. Because of their thick coarse texture, steel cut oats require a little more soaking and this slow cooker method is a convenient hands-off way to prepare them!
Hip Recipe Tips:
- If you have a dairy intolerance, you can use a different type of milk. This will work with water too, however, the result may not be as creamy.
- Make sure to prep your slow cooker with non-stick spray or a slow cooker liner first to avoid sticking. If your slow cooker runs hot, you could always create a water bath set-up by placing contents in a casserole dish first, and then placing about an inch of water in the slow cooker, that way it’s actually cooking in the casserole dish.
- Have a large family? You can easily double this recipe for a larger crowd.
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 8 HOURS
total time: 8 HOURS 10 MINUTES
Let your slow cooker do the work overnight and wake up to a nice warm bowl of creamy oatmeal with this recipe!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional: dried fruit and nuts for toppings
My family is crazy about oatmeal and this is such an easy way to prepare it.
Having a warm bowl of steel cut overnight oats ready when you wake up is so smart and will keep you full longer! Everyone can add their own toppings as desired, and overall it’s a winning breakfast idea. Enjoy!