Easy White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This white chicken chili is hearty, comforting, and so EASY to make.
There’s nothing better than a bowl of chili to warm your soul!
This simple recipe is super comforting and was passed on to me by my sister-in-law many years ago. This undoubtedly yummy dish quickly became a family favorite soup! I keep this one on our meal rotation year-round because it’s that GOOD, but it’s particularly comforting during colder months.
I love that you can use pantry staples to turn inexpensive beans into an awesome one-pot dinner! The combo of white beans and chicken is a nice change from traditional ground beef and tomato-based chili for a totally different take on this popular comfort food.
The result is a hearty soup bursting with tons of green chili, cilantro, and cumin flavor. The broth is my favorite part, and this recipe adds a little ground clove for a warm, comforting flavor. Leftovers heat up perfectly, making this a must-try easy meal!
Tips for making the best white bean chicken chili:
- In this recipe, I cook a couple of chicken breasts in the broth first, but you can use leftover rotisserie chicken and just dump everything in to let it all simmer together.
- Want to make this as a simple slow cooker meal? I have done that many times too. To make this soup in the slow cooker, skip the first step and just add everything except for the olive oil into your slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken and stir every once in a while.
- I don’t find this chili to be over-the-top spicy as written, but it would be easy to omit the one jalapeño or add fewer green chilis. Just about every ingredient can be modified to your liking in this soup!
White Bean Chili with Chicken
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 40 MINUTES
total time: 55 MINUTES
Warm up with this delicious and easy chili recipe, great for fall and colder weekdays.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped and seeded (optional)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 4.5 oz can diced chilies
- 1 1/2 pounds raw chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 - 15.5 oz cans great northern beans, drained
White chicken chili is an absolute crowd pleaser!
This recipe makes your home smell amazing and it tastes SO good. Over the weekend, I made a pot of white chicken chili while we had football on the TV and enjoyed our first real cooler day of fall weather.
I love traditional chili, but this white bean version is a fun change of pace, and so simple to make. Enjoy!
Here’s what my teammate Emily thought of my white bean chili recipe:
“This white bean chicken chili is so tasty! I love that it uses fresh cilantro since it brightens the recipe and adds wonderful flavor. I wasn’t sure I would love the clove, but it was delicious so definitely don’t omit it. I let my husband take this hunting with him over the weekend and he came back with great reviews!
This makes a perfect weeknight meal and the leftovers were excellent! Highly recommend!”