White Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
You won’t believe how easy it is to make these mouthwatering White Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce!
Love enchiladas? 🙋
Try these cheesy White Chicken Enchiladas with a flavorful green chile and sour cream sauce! They come together so easily for a delicious weeknight meal that even your pickiest eaters will love.
This recipe is always such a big hit with my family. It’s smothered in cheesy goodness and easy to customize, if your family would prefer a spicier version.
Hip tips for making White Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce
- I like to use a prepared rotisserie chicken because it’s such a convenient time-saver, but feel free to use leftover chopped chicken (or even turkey) instead! If you don’t have any leftover chicken and you’re starting from scratch, just deploy your favorite cooking method (roasting, poaching, etc.) to cook three chicken breasts.
- Be sure to let the sauce cool before adding the sour cream and chiles. Don’t be tempted to skip this step, as the sour cream may curdle and leave a chunky mess if it gets too hot. Let the sauce sit for 5-10 minutes before adding the sour cream and chiles.
- Speaking of sour cream, I recommend using full-fat sour cream for this recipe. It really adds to the richness of the sauce, and it will hold up better if you’re reheating leftovers the next day. But if your family is anything like mine, you won’t have any leftovers to reheat. These enchiladas are that good!
White Chicken Enchiladas
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 35 MINUTES
Creamy white sauce enchiladas with melted cheese that are a filling comfort food. Adapted from GonnaWantSeconds.com
- 3 cups shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken.)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded (divided)
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded (divided)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup canned green chile salsa (or small can green chilies)
- 3 green onions, chopped
These White Chicken Enchiladas are so good. They were gobbled up immediately!
This is such a fantastic (and easy) homemade meal. I LOVED the added flavor of using seasoned chicken and the gentle heat provided by the pepper jack cheese. If your family would prefer something milder, then you can just omit that type of cheese and make up the difference by using extra Mexican blend cheese instead.
You can also adjust the heat with your green chile salsa selection. I used a medium green chile salsa, but you could easily swap this out for something milder or extra spicy if that’s your preference.