How to Make Blessing Bags to Give Back This Year
Hip2Save may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you via trusted partners and affiliate links in this post. Prices and availability are accurate as of time posted. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Find out how these blessing bags can make a difference this holiday season. ❤️
Bring a little joy to those in need with DIY blessing bags!
Want to make someone’s holiday brighter this year? Kindness doesn’t cost much, and these DIY blessing bags could make the season delightful for those affected by homelessness. It’s also a great opportunity to teach your kids about helping others in need and show them how a little generosity can go a long way.❤️
What should you put in your DIY blessing bags?
If you’ve got a surplus of unused essential items like toothpaste, deodorant, tissues, and hand sanitizer, don’t let them sit in a drawer and collect dust. Instead, give them to someone in your community who really needs them!
If you don’t have any supplies on hand, try to buy them in bulk at places like Sam’s Club, Costco, Walmart, or even Amazon, so you save money with the larger quantity purchase. You can also find a number of cheap items at the Dollar Tree as I did!
Thoughtful items to use when filling your blessing bags:
- Toiletries: deodorant, toothbrushes, razors, soap, shampoo, shaving cream, period products
- Cold weather essentials: Hand warmers, socks, scarves, gloves, chapstick
- Food/drinks: Bottled water, Gatorade, granola bars, trail mix, tuna/cracker packs, beef jerky, other non-perishables
- Other personal care items: Sunscreen, lotion, feminine hygiene products, washcloths, kleenex, bandaids
- Small-denomination gift cards for coffee & food
Here are a few budget-friendly finds to include in your blessing bags:
- 100 Individually-Wrapped Toothbrushes | $19.99
- Women’s Degree Antiperspirant Deodorant | 97¢ each
- Fruit of the Loom Men’s Workgear Crew Socks 10-Pack | $12.10
- Earth to Skin Hand Sanitizer 6-Pack | $6.99
- Gelante Adult Winter Knitted Magic Gloves 12-Pack | $16.95
- Quaker Chewy Granola Bars 60-Pack | $8.48
- Slim Jim Original 120-Count | $20.58
- Irish Springs Original Deodorant Soap 20-Pack | $8.48
If you don’t know where to donate your blessing bags, refer to your city’s Homeless Shelter Directory for a list of nearby locations. You can also keep a few bags in your car in case you spot someone in need.
Get others in the giving spirit with you!
What’s better than giving away 10 blessing bags? Giving away 20 or 30! Invite your friends, coworkers, and family members to join in your blessing bags activity—the more the merrier! If they can’t donate their time to help fill the bags, ask if they can help by donating the supplies. They might already have a number of items sitting in their closet or pantry at home.
Want to make your blessing bags more thoughtful? Add a note or Christmas card!
Sometimes a few short and sweet encouraging words are enough to lift someone’s spirits. Whether it’s a kindness quote or a simple Merry Christmas message, it could have more of an impact than you think.
Blessing bags don’t have to be just a holiday occasion. Shelters, food banks, and individuals affected by homelessness have needs year-round so never underestimate the impact of your giving! ❤️
Looking for more ways to spread kindness? Check out these sweet ideas!