Could You Be Owed Money and Not Even Know It? It’s Easy and FREE To Find Out!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
According to the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators, on average, about 1 in every 10 people has “unclaimed money.” Could you be one of them? 🤞
These can be funds from past employers, utility companies, stocks, mutual funds, safe deposit box contents, uncashed checks, insurance policies, and more.
You may not know this, but businesses send money to state-run unclaimed property offices when they can’t locate the owner. And the best part is, you can find it on your own for FREE, using official databases like Unclaimed.org, Missing Money, or the Unclaimed Money directory on USA.gov.
It’s quick and easy to perform a search and you might be pleasantly surprised with the results – ideally some extra money you would never have known about otherwise!
Here’s how to search for and claim your Unclaimed Money:
- Click here and click on your state
- Follow the instructions to search for unclaimed funds based on your state
- If you find a match, complete a claim form. Most states and provinces require a specific form to be completed which asks for pertinent information about the property and proof of ownership, such as copies of a checkbook, passbook, bonds, etc.
- Follow the instructions to complete the specified form. You may need to supply additional documentation for verification.
- The claim form and ID are then mailed to the state for review. The state will respond to you directly after they have reviewed your submission and verified that you are the rightful owner.
- Most states send you an acknowledgment letter after receiving your claim. Claims processing time frames vary between states and provinces and property to property based upon claim activity.
HIP TIP: Unclaimed property is reported to the state in which the company or organization resides. It’s not uncommon to have unclaimed money in multiple states, especially if you have moved around to different states!
Check out comments from readers who found out they had missing money!
I searched, found my name, and submitted my request through the website. Almost $150 received yesterday (took less than a week). The check was official and from the state. Totally legit. Thanks for your post, I have shared with all my friends and family!
Holy smokes! I just found an old employer owes my husband $689.33!! $$ is on the way they say!
I just checked and I have a $1,200 check! WOW!! Thank you so much!!!
Last month, I found $650 from interest building on the canceled insurance plan and they sent me the money via Paypal. All I needed to send in was a W2 showing I worked for the company at that time, plus a copy of my license.