Are YOU Missing Money? Start Your Search Now!
Hip2Save may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Have you ever heard of MissingMoney.com?
Established in 1999, Missing Money is a national database that enables you to perform searches for unclaimed money and lost assets required by law to be turned over to the states – like money due from past employers, utility companies, stocks, mutual funds, safe deposit box contents, uncashed checks, insurance policies and more.
Basically, this means in plain English… you can search for money owed to YOU!
Steps to Search for YOUR Missing or Unclaimed Money:
- Click here, enter your name or Business name and click on “search”
- Enter your city and state
- If you find a match, complete a claim form. Most states and provinces require a specific form to be completed which asks for pertinent information about the property and proof of ownership, such as copies of a checkbook, passbook, bonds, etc.
- Follow the instructions to complete the specified form and supply any necessary documentation and identification.
- The claim form and ID are then mailed to the state for review. The state will respond to you directly after they have reviewed your submission and verified that you are the rightful owner.
- Most states send you an acknowledgment letter after receiving your claim. Claims processing time frames vary between states and provinces and property to property based upon claim activity. Click here to view the list of participating states in MissingMoney.
HIP TIP: Some states like California and Pennsylvania host their own unclaimed money sites. If you are not finding your state listed on MissingMoney.com, try googling “State’s Name + Unclaimed Property.”
Check out comments from readers who found out they had missing money!
I searched, found my name, and submitted my request through the website. Almost $150 received yesterday (took less than a week). The check was official and from the state. Totally legit. Thanks for your post, I have shared with all my friends and family!
Holy smokes! I just found an old employer owes my husband $689.33!! $$ is on the way they say!
I just checked and I have a $1,200 check! WOW!! Thank you so much!!!
Last month, I found $650 from interest building on the canceled insurance plan and they sent me the money via Paypal. All I needed to send in was a W2 showing I worked for the company at that time, plus a copy of my license.