Homemade Peppermint Lip Balm (Holiday Gift Idea)

Homemade Peppermint Lip Balm

Looking for a unique DIY holiday gift idea this holiday season? Consider making some homemade peppermint lip balm using  just a few natural ingredients. It’s so easy you’ll never want to buy store-bought again! The shea butter is super soothing for dry lips especially when paired with peppermint essential oil. This recipe makes about five one inch sized circular tins, so you’ll want to adjust up from there depending on how many you’d like to make. These containers are Wilton brand small party favor tins, but you could recycle Altoid mint tins or reuse lip balm tubes (if making for yourself). You could also buy Lip Balm tubes like the ones here.

Ingredients to make lip balm Hip2Save

Homemade Peppermint Lip Balm

Ingredients:
* 1 and 1/2 Tablespoon Natural Beeswax
* 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
* 1 Tablespoon Shea Butter
* 2 Tablespoon Sweet Almond Oil (or Olive Oil)
* 20 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
* Small metal tins with lids (Wilton small party favor kit tins are shown)

How to make lip balm

Directions:

Bring water in a small pot to a boil on the stove.

In a glass dish or Pyrex cup, mix beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, and sweet almond oil. Place the glass dish or cup inside the pot of boiling water and melt ingredients while stirring. A bamboo chop stick makes a great tool for stirring this.

Remove from heat and use about 20 drops of the peppermint essential oil and stir.

Pour into containers right away.

Wait 24 hours for the lip balm to set before using.

DIY Burts Bees Lip Balm Hip2Save

These adhesive labels came with my tins and I used a red sharpie to color them like a peppermint candy.Burts Bees Lip Balm DIY Hip2Save

You’ll love the smooth texture and wonderful scent! Such a great gift too :) Thanks to Revived Kitchen for the inspiration!

Written by Lina for Hip2Save. Lina is a proud mom of 2 small kids who loves photography, all holidays, cooking, thrift store makeovers, bargain shopping, and DIY makeovers. Her goal is to create a beautiful life and stylish home on a dime!

• cheapcheap goes the mommy says:

while I’m sure they are not as sturdy as the cases you used for this project, I have seen in the wedding section at the dollar tree a similar style container. LOve this idea!

• Ashley says:

Thanks! Do you have a price for this (either per container or total for all ingredients)? Hip2savers love to know these things! Awesome idea.

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

It will depend on if your ingredients are organic and where you purchase from. All of these were purchased at craft stores and natural food stores. The containers are from Michael’s crafts. Thanks!

• marissa says:

This looks so cool! Does anyone know how many one batch makes?

• jessica says:

You could also sub the peppermint oil for lavender and use it as cuticle cream. Possibilities are endless. Thanks!!

• Crystal says:

How much water do we use when putting it to boil? I don’t want to add to much water and then have it watery:/ let me know please (:

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

Important: You are adding water to the pot only. Not in the mixture. You are essentially mixing the wax and oils in a glass container then dipping that glass container in boiling water. Filly our pot about half full of water. thanks!

• Christine says:

This is such a great idea. I have been wanting to make something other than desserts for Christmas.

• Crystal says:

Does anyone know how much water to use? I don’t want to add to much water when putting it to boil and then it becomes watery… Help please(:?

• julie says:

Can you tell me the ounce size of the containers?

• Mary says:

I just want to add, please be sure to use pure, therapeutic grade essential oils. Most oils on the market say pure essential oil; however, they are perfume grade. The fillers that are used in them can be toxic and do more damage than good. You get what you pay for when it comes to EOs. If it says aromatic, it’s not what you want. Pure, therapeutic grade EOs. Do a little research before you buy.

• Jen says:

These look awesome! I know it’s something most people don’t think about, but if you make these or other homemade goods that have EO and food products in them, please consider adding a little label with the ingredents. I know I would use this if given to me assuming it was just wax and peppermint, but then I’d have a bad allergic reaction, because I’m allergic to almonds and coconuts. People are allergic to all kinds of things you would never think of and it’s a huge help if we don’t have to ask! Plus, something like this I would want to pass on to someone that can use it – rather than see it wasted.

• kim says:

Where did you find the oils, shea butter and essential oil? Not sure if they sell them at the grocery store or Michael’s or a specialty store.

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

Essential oils at Sprouts (natural food store) as well as Shea butter and almond oil. Michaels has the beeswax and containers. Thanks!

• Shalia says:

If I am allergic to coconut is there something else that could be used to substitute for coconut oil?

• Kelli says:

Is the Shea butter a solid or like thick lotion? I found both at Hobby lobby and another craft store and don’t know which one to use. I found both in the soap making section of the craft store. Is that correct?

• Lina (Hip's Modern Martha) says:

The pure Shea butter I used was very very very thick almost solid but in a jar.

• Kelli says:

Thanks for responding. Mine doesn’t say “pure” and came in a little packet. It also is very very very thick but not solid like the beeswax. Do you think that will work? The Shea butter I bought says it can be used to make bar soaps and lotions.

• Claire says:

I’m allergic to beeswax :(
    Any ideas for a substitute? Thanks!

• jj meyer says:

I found soy wax, carnauba wax or candelilla wax can be used as a vegan sub for the beeswax. There are a number of online suppliers available. Hope this helps. I know I’m allergic to so much in cosmetics it is hard to find slternatives. Thsnk goodness for coconut oil!

• Paul says:

Do you have to sanitize your containers before filling them with lip balm

• jj meyer says:

Love your recipe! Thanks for sharing! I tried vitamin e oil in place of almond and loved it too!

• Danielle says:

Can you put up a picture what the coconut oil looks like? where did you buy it? Also, where do you get the Shea Butter from?

• Beth says:

I was wondering if you can put this lip balm in tubes instead of the metal tons? Thank you! Looks like a beautiful recipe!

• Jocelyne says:

Any chance I would be able to add cocoa to this recipe and make it peppermint/cocoa lip balm?

• AudreyGrace says:

Could you use lip balm tubes instead of pots for this recipe? I can’t find the right size pots anywhere but I did order some tubes . . .

• misty says:

I have totally gone off the charts over peppermint essential oil this year. I just did not realize I was craving more than just a piece of candy! I now have shampoo, sugar scrubs, and now I will try this! Crazy for peppermint!